Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Alt-Right

*koff*

Holocaust denier wins GOP nomination in heavily Democratic seat

Republican candidate Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier who has been disavowed by his own party, will be the GOP's nominee in a suburban Chicago congressional district after he ran in Tuesday's primary unopposed.

Jones's campaign website contains a section called "The Holocaust Racket" in which he argues that there is "no proof such a so-called 'Holocaust' ever took place anywhere in Europe against the Jews" and that Jews are "directly responsible for the murder of at least 300 million people."

Jones in February told the Chicago Sun-Times that he's a former leader of the American Nazi Party.
He got 27% - 57 000 votes btw. About 10 % less than the previous non-nazi republican candidate.

Not exactly that area, but does touch on it from what I've read so far, there's Insurgent Supremacists by Matthew Lyons.

He's interviewed here Insurgent Supremacists: An Interview With Matthew N. Lyons on Antifascism, Anti-Imperialism, and the Future of Organizing - It's Going Down
It's the best book yet from our perspective. For a more journalistic mainstream view the book Alt-Right: From 4chan to the White House by Mike Wendling is surprisingly good.

Lyons runs Three Way Fight btw - they're currently doing a three piece article on the potential contours of 21st fascism and responses - i've been waiting for the last piece before posting it up, but thus far it's a very interesting and i think spot on argument about modern capital lining up with the liberals against what they can sense is an anti-capitalist populism which they sell as fascism. So again, large parts of the left fall in line with capital again.

...and here's the third part staring with a handy summary:

In Part 1, Hamerquist discussed transnational capital's need to reestablish mass support in the face of populist challenges on both the left and the right. In Part 2, he criticized the widespread leftist conception that fascism, right-wing populist movements, and capital are all aligned together, arguing instead that fascism is a right-wing revolutionary tendency composed of "an array of emerging reactionary anti-capitalisms." In Part 3, below, Hamerquist argues that transnational capital’s representatives are replacing the old Global War on Terror with a new common threat/common fear scenario, which mis-identifies right-wing populist movements as part of a new “fascist threat” to “democracy," in a bid to renew popular support. Without a decisive anti-capitalist intervention from the left, we are likely to see either transnational capital restabilized, or reformist right-wing populisms transformed into actual fascist movements, posing a serious threat of anti-liberatory "barbarism."

It's the best book yet from our perspective. For a more journalistic mainstream view the book Alt-Right: From 4chan to the White House by Mike Wendling is surprisingly good.
Just started reading this - available on Verso for about £2.50:thumbs: enjoying it so far.

eta - not on verso :oops: it was on Amazon for about £3.30

Last edited:
From that link above....
Hamerquist Piece said:
In Part 3, below, Hamerquist argues that transnational capital’s representatives are replacing the old Global War on Terror with a new common threat/common fear scenario, which mis-identifies right-wing populist movements as part of a new “fascist threat” to “democracy," in a bid to renew popular support.
Not sure thats totally the case. Transnational Capital (if there is one such thing) wet themselves with excitement at the election of Bolsonaro, who is arguable the most openly fascistic of all the new hard right leaders. Their mouthpieces utterly downplayed his fascism (calling him a bit "controversial") and openly and unreservedly welcome the possiblities for capital that his leadership would bring. Trump likewise has on balance made the marketeers happy.

And is it really a "misidentifying"? Yes theres a needs to be accurate with terminology, but I dont think its an analysis that is utterly missing the point. I may be misunderstanding, but it seems even Hamerquist agrees that right-wing populism is latent anti-liberal fascism as the second part of the summary says (which kind of contradicts the argument that its a delibearate mislabelling).

Hamerquist Piece said:
Without a decisive anti-capitalist intervention from the left, we are likely to see either transnational capital restabilized, or reformist right-wing populisms transformed into actual fascist movements, posing a serious threat of anti-liberatory "barbarism."
Transnational Capital is obviously not going to be calling for "a decisive anti-capitalist intervention from the left", so if voices from within the TC establishment worry about the "threat of anti-liberatory "barbarism" and "actual fascist movements," they are probably correct in so doing.

Maybe Im missing something though...I found the article too hard to read, but I think that summary was accurate.

Seems to me Transnational Capital is playing with fire: on the one hand they probably know where it might lead and some may voice some concerns, but they seem to cheerlead the business opporuntities where they exist and those voices seem far louder to me. Im not seeing a fabricated, deliberatly mis-represnted replacement of the War on Terror.

Maybe Brazil gets a different treatment as its physcially away from the US-Euro zone? Still, they clearly prefer someone of the far-right to the far-left.

Last edited:
...and here's the third part staring with a handy summary:

Cheers butchers, three really interesting pieces. Lots to think over.
From that link above....

Not sure thats totally the case. Transnational Capital (if there is one such thing) wet themselves with excitement at the election of Bolsonaro, who is arguable the most openly fascistic of all the new hard right leaders. Their mouthpieces utterly downplayed his fascism (calling him a bit "controversial") and openly and unreservedly welcome the possiblities for capital that his leadership would bring. Trump likewise has on balance made the marketeers happy.

And is it really a "misidentifying"? Yes theres a needs to be accurate with terminology, but I dont think its an analysis that is utterly missing the point.
I may be misunderstanding, but it seems even Hamerquist agrees that right-wing populism is latent anti-liberal fascism as the second part of the summary says (which kind of contradicts the argument that its a delibearate mislabelling).
Did you just read the third part because the first two parts (especially the second) deal with your points in greater detail?

What do you mean by the "mouthpieces" of transitional capital? Are you arguing that the mainstream media is sympathetic to populism (either right or left)?

And I have to say that you've totally mis-read the sentence you've quoted. It certainly does not state (either implicitly or explicitly) that "right-wing populism is latent anti-liberal fascism", note transformed. In fact I think you've misread much of the piece. Finally, what do you mean by this statement "Transnational Capital (if there is one such thing)"? Because I could be wrong but it implies to me that you are using a very different definition of transnational capital to that of Hamerquist.

Last edited:
Cheers butchers, three really interesting pieces. Lots to think over.
Did you just read the third part because the first two parts (especially the second) deal with your points in greater detail?

t.
Yeah only tried to read the third.. Too academic language for me tbh. I'll have a look back over this but I'm on holiday mode for a couple of days still.

Yeah only tried to read the third.. Too academic language for me tbh. I'll have a look back over this but I'm on holiday mode for a couple of days still.
I definitely recommend reading all three.
They are dense pieces though, I think I need to re-read them to really get to grips with all that they say.

I currently work with a young lad in his early 20s who is worryingly going down this online path (his life is mostly spent online with some by the sounds of it American twats). Regurgitating their crap in naivety. Don't know what to do with him really.

I especially like just below the headline:

Ex-boss of the ‘Western chauvinist’ clique claims he’s been made ‘socially despicable’ by the civil-rights group.

Distinct lack of self-awareness/barefaced cheek and buck-passing right there. Maybe point out to him that 'You too could turn out like that'.

Get him to listen to some oldchool soul and funk music.

I dunno. good luck. :)

I have mentioned the F word but in a general way regarding the ugliness lurking behind much of it. Beyond the individual stuff and his own reasons for hanging around on its periphery (he's troubled and socially awkward). And to get off the internet more and experience meatspace, but not as in pull your socks up. I don't know enough about how he's understanding or translating this crap out of a US social/political context to be able to pick it apart in a friendly way and show him why it's shit. He isn't fash, but they aren't far away, feeding into at least some of the crap he consumes. He hasn't come out with anything explicit on that front yet, but can tell he's picking up stuff that seems to have been designed by such filth to appeal to a wider male audience but not too open in their aims iyswim. Soft for now.

I currently work with a young lad in his early 20s who is worryingly going down this online path (his life is mostly spent online with some by the sounds of it American twats). Regurgitating their crap in naivety. Don't know what to do with him really.

Befriend him. Have a beer with him now and again. Talk to him about what you know and what has shaped your politics. Suggest things he can engage with offline. Be honest with him.

Last edited:
Just keep talking to him . He can have more of a conversation one to one than he can can on the Internet . It's a slow drip drip job but someone needs to come out with a different narrative that leads him to question more.

An alarm bell for me was when he started talking about antifa, and a conflation of the left with liberalism (as it is understood in America) and along the lines of 'who are the real... ' Gentle questioning revealed his understanding of both the history of working class radicalism and fascism past and present is puddle deep. He's repeating stuff from elsewhere rather than thought-through ideological commitment. And it has the whiff of US right rubbish. But that narrative is, in part, from the far right, or as it exists in a male internet milieu he's on the periphery of.

He's a lonely lad, had a rough time at home and has self-harmed a little. There's nothing that he's revealed about himself as awful as the misogynistic stuff we see, or the racism, just a reactionary narrative being fed to him by forces he is not fully aware of, and of which those two things are a very much a part.

I had a simliar thing with my cousins kid last summer - same age and similiar dynamic . After about 45 minutes of talking we didn't get that far but then there was a bit of a breakthrough when we got to "why are millions of people risking their lives to flee the middle east and northern africa in the first place", getting into why the region is so destabilised and the direct role of certain european countries and the US in creating that situation, and the long history of that exploitation. That point got through to him. At that age I don't think people have a deep ideology but theyve just been presented with a very limited set of "facts".

I also seem to remember other things surprising him, certain things we probably take for granted, such as that the vast majority of the people in the world live on around $2 a day, how little people get paid in global factories, the relationship between that labour cost and product costs that get sold in the west etc. Quite basic things really that you might not think to touch on.

had a similar thing today: 'do you know who I like? That Nigel Farage!'
[heads for lavatory to prevent unwarranted violence].
-

Just keep talking to him . He can have more of a conversation one to one than he can can on the Internet . It's a slow drip drip job but someone needs to come out with a different narrative that leads him to question more.

Yeah, maybe a 1% chance of that working, optimistically speaking.

Depends what else you’re up to, I guess.

There may be good reasons for not bothering, but convincing oneself that there's only low percentage of success (as opposed to actually calculating it) doesn't strike me as one of them.

There may be good reasons for not bothering, but convincing oneself that there's only low percentage of success (as opposed to actually calculating it) doesn't strike me as one of them.

If it’s just you there will be a whole “community” welcoming him into the fold.

If he’s one outlier among a group of friends then you may have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom