Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mudlarking on the Thames

I googled mudlarking and found this thread :D do you need permits to do it in the rest of the country? I don't think anyone would notice if I went and poked about the mud. There was tons of industry here so I think there might be some interesting stuff waiting to be found!

You need a licence to dig and there are parts you need to avoid due to being Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

But walking the foreshore and having a poke and search for something cool is quite fun. I was amazed how many animal bones there are down by Greenwich.

Went and had a poke about last week and this is what I found:

2016-07-082016.45.40_zpscecwwurq.jpg

Tbh most of it was washed up already, I did trying a bit of digging / scraping about but all I managed to uncover was rocks.

Most of that's modern-ish (1800's onwards) but the big bit top middle looks like it might be a little older, is it glazed on the other side?

You need a licence to dig and there are parts you need to avoid due to being Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

But walking the foreshore and having a poke and search for something cool is quite fun. I was amazed how many animal bones there are down by Greenwich.

No poking allowed. That counts as mudlarking as I found out. :oops:

Just to make you feel inadequte;)...a fortnight ago I found a late neolithic, earley Bronze age hand tool. Currently with the Museum of London. My best find ever, even better than the Roman ring I found, also with the museum of London.

Still well pleased with my self.

Just to make you feel inadequte;)...a fortnight ago I found a late neolithic, earley Bronze age hand tool. Currently with the Museum of London. My best find ever, even better than the Roman ring I found, also with the museum of London.

My dad fund a bronze age spear head in the Thames near Staines in the 80's. The British Museum offered him £200 for it but he turned it down and still has it. You could still kill someone with it today if so
Inclined.

Pic.

My dad fund a bronze age spear head in the Thames near Staines in the 80's. The British Museum offered him £200 for it but he turned it down and still has it. You could still kill someone with it today if so
Inclined.
Pic.

:mad:

:D:D

Also,You'll have to wait till December when all the paper work is done. For some reason I didn't photograph it:facepalm:

Inclined.
So as long as you are licensed and report the finds, you are actually allowed to keep them all? Or does it depend on the nature & historical importance of the artefact?

So as long as you are licensed and report the finds, you are actually allowed to keep them all? Or does it depend on the nature & historical importance of the artefact?

AFAIK it depends where you find it. There's all sorts of treasure trove regulations,sometimes the state must pay you cash, other times you can keep it but must share it with the landowner etc.

Where my dad found this thing was downstream of the London Stone, so the river belongs to the Corporation of London, I think. But that didn't seem to be an issue. The British Museum has loads of these things, so it's not that important and wouldn't be displayed.

Feels fucking awesome holding it.

Bones and pipes

1628247703670.png

1628247716322.png

Mudlarkers should have no problem finding the discarded stems of broken clay pipes.

They were so cheap to make that they were one-use disposable items, often sold prefilled with tobacco (known as ‘Penny Pipes’).

Once the tobacco had been smoked, there was no further use for the pipe, and it was common to snap off the head before throwing it into the Thames.

I have a spare ticket for this on Thursday morning. It's mudlarking-adjacent. Anyone interested in joining me?
Join us on an exciting volunteering experience of clearing the dredged Hertford Union Canal near Victoria Park.
Join us between 10am and 2pm on the Hertford Union Canal for a satisfying days’ work at this popular spot. We'll be clearing the dredged part of the Canal before it gets refilled at the end of the month.

I have a spare ticket for this on Thursday morning. It's mudlarking-adjacent. Anyone interested in joining me?
Would love to and have done similar a few times. A great thing to do, it can be interesting. I mustn't due to compromised immune system these days 😟

There is a lot of mudlarking stuff going on at the museum of London Docklands at the moment inc. Hands on stuff this weekend

Nice to know that Ponyutd's efforts to record the history of London's foreshore will be remembered by future generations. I wonder if Samantha ever got the opportunity to blow the little pewter whistle.

Back
Top Bottom