1. J.C.Decaux

J.C.Decaux Falasteen hurra!!! Banned

According to the crown prince from that sheikhly fiefdom - Saudi arabia, Iran are spearheading 'global terrorism'

any thoughts?

2. yield

yield zero

I was just reading Robert Fisk's piece in the Independent. It's good that Hassan Rouhani won the election when you consider his opponent.

Even so readily apparent there's so much murky stuff going on right now. Anything to stop China's dreams of Empire and the new Silk Road.

Rouhani’s victory is good news for Iran, but bad news for Trump

3. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

As this is the most recent Iran thread, I'll use this....

Lots of protests today against corruption, many reports on Twitter, below are a few:

upload_2017-12-29_17-57-50.png

Iranian police disperse anti-government protests

from a fb post courtesy of Erin Cunningham and if you look at her recently liked tweets there's lots more reportage

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Interesting. Even if it doesnt spread much further, I would assume slogans like 'You are using religion as a tool, you have ruined the people' and 'we get poor, clerics get rich' will set off a particular kind of alarm for that regime. Not to mention the ones involving foreign policy.

likesfish, Rimbaud and teqniq like this.
  5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

“Death to Rouhani” and “Death to the dictator”.
    Not Gaza, not Lebanon, my soul is the redemption of Iran
    Leave Syria and think about us
    You have used religion and humiliated the people
    The government is lying and its promises are not implemented
    Unity Unity, No Fear, No fear of the police
    We regret the revolution and overthrow the monarchy

6. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

7. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

upload_2017-12-30_14-42-53.png

Rimbaud likes this.
  8. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

Anyone have anything in a bit more depth about the background to all this or what's happening now?

9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

10. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

11. terapija

terapija Well-Known Member

Qom is supposed to be one of the most conservative cities in Iran...strange

12. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Qom

It seems to be proper kicking off all over, I am guessing that eventually the authorities will employ yet more violent means to end it.

13. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

How much of it will be additionally fuelled by external parties gaming social media to foment unrest? A few other countries with a dog in this race.

14. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

I'm asking an Iranian friend what she thinks of this all.

She said previously that economically things have got a lot worse over the past few years. Fewer jobs, more poverty, economic issues and continuing impact of sanctions etc. As well as the inflexible regime policies and the money being spent in Syria and Lebanon rather than in Iran itself.

I'd imagine the regime will blame Saudi meddling. Seems likely right?

likesfish and teqniq like this.
  15. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

yup but this survey conducted a few months ago shows how popular Iranian nationalism and identity is. Unless these attitudes vanish into thin air there must be some doubts as to how far the US or others can benefit from the protests.
    iran.jpg

16. Dogsauce

Why would Saudi/the US/Israel not meddle? It's a piece of piss to set up a few dozen fake twitter accounts, costs virtually nothing to do, no risk of physical harm. Beats chucking bombs any day.

17. Dogsauce

Of course, those numbers will depend on how freely people think they can answer, although most are not surprising. Don't think the west will give a fuck about democracy and human rights, just would prefer Iran to be weaker and more divided.

likesfish likes this.
  18. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Well-Known Member

Probably, but that doesn't mean the protests are controlled by a hidden hand. Setting up a few dozen twitter accounts is not enough to start a revolution, it can only fan the flames of pre-existing discontent at most.

NoXion and likesfish like this.
  19. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Iran is quasi democratic and the mullahs are less than popular with young people.
    Playing games in syria and lebannon is fine when your doing it with petty cash not so cool if people are suffering at home and iran is full of young people.

20. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

21. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

22. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

She does say in follow-up tweets that the reports are based on info from contacts inside Iran (should have provided a link sorry).

23. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Time for a rerun of 79.

24. Humirax

Humirax Well-Known Member

Iran is a theocracy ruled by old clerics, any change is probably for the best. I fear though that this will end badly for those on the streets, hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Rimbaud and likesfish like this.
  25. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Well-Known Member

26. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

27. copliker

copliker ...

That's Bahrain. And look at the state of the account.

teqniq likes this.
  28. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Ah is it? I saw that earlier on my phone but wasn't sure. will take it down ta. :)

29. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

10 dead now, apparently. Wouldnt want to be the poor fuckers in custody. Some real brave peeps out there.

It's interesting the spontaneous nature of the protests and the extent to which they have taken the establishment and the opposition parties/groups by surprise. Social media etc blocked but clearly big things happening all across the country.

30. Humirax

Humirax Well-Known Member

Total hypocrisy from Trump on these protests ofcourse Trump: 'The USA is watching very closely for human rights violations' during Iran protests

We know what he makes of human rights- and protesters- locking up people for 40 years for standing next to a smashed window on inauguration day for example. Trump's first military action as president killed an eight year old girl, he went all out against the bend the knee protests (to the point of trying to destroy people's careers), then theres the travel ban, attacks on women's re-productive rights, his support for Saudi Arabia's genocide in Yemen, his pick for head of the CIA says he wants to execute Edward Snowden, theres his hideous 'health care' bill that he so desperately wants to impose on the country, the list goes on. Hawks and neo-cons seem very eager to support this, including people like John 'bomb Iran' McCain.

It seems certain people in the US have learnt nothing from the disasterous coup that they instigated in Iran in 1953, which brought the Shah to power and made Iran the puppet of the US. Now, I still support these protests and am not saying it's all foreign interference (I don't buy that at all), but the interest and hypocrisy from hawks in the US is worth baring in mind and I still hope the Iranian theocracy is toppled.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018