The River Thames - photos and stories

A walk along the south bank

1628247628490.png

1628247641021.png

A walk along the north bank

1628247589460.png

1628247603089.png

1628247613872.png

A walk along the foreshore The north bank of the Thames at low tide: bridges, chains, nets and some mudlarking

What's this building? It reminds me a bit of Strawberry Hill. Gothic I guess.
Trinity Hospital, Greenwich. It owns a lot of land in the area. It’s some sort of charitable foundation like an alms house.
The story is that they had an orchard on the left of the photo that they let the omnibus company graze their horses on. After 25 years of free use, or whatever, London Transport claimed title and built the powerstation. The power station is back-up power for the tube.

What's this building? It reminds me a bit of Strawberry Hill. Gothic I guess.

Trinity Hospital, Greenwich. It owns a lot of land in the area. It’s some sort of charitable foundation like an alms house.
The story is that they had an orchard on the left of the photo that they let the omnibus company graze their horses on. After 25 years of free use, or whatever, London Transport claimed title and built the powerstation. The power station is back-up power for the tube.

Yes, it was built around 500 years ago to house 20 Greenwich male residents who had financial difficulties.

Looks like they had lovely garden as well.
Trinity-Hospital-Greenwich-11.jpg

I'm not quite sure about all that...

The site was a reasonably substantial depot / stables of the Pimlico, Peckham and Greenwich Street Tramways Company (later merged in to the London Tramways Company) opened in 1871.

The power station was built c. 1905 by the London County Council Tramways, after they took over the private sector tram operators and started electrifying the network.

1890s OS map here

But yes, since LT abandoned its trams and trolleybuses, it became secondary power station for the Underground (at that time Lots Road power station was still in business) and is now back-up power.

The maker of these mudlarking notebooks is an old friend & one of the best people you could ever meet. Now goes by johnny mudlark. He doesn’t have a smartphone & doesnt do internet and now his drawings are getting seen by lots of people anyway.
currently some are on show inside southward cathedral. I only know cos he sent me a postcard.

This makes me very happy.0A4D0E4B-CA72-476D-918D-1A39B3316007.jpeg

Was it a case of the Thames route not being profitable enough, or the boat type being charged higher fees than traditional ones?

Was it a case of the Thames route not being profitable enough, or the boat type being charged higher fees than traditional ones?

Dunno, I think they had to pay the Port of London some fees which were quite a bit more than Ramsgate (and Dover; one of my trips on it was from Dover, not two from Ramsgate, I now recall), and maybe the extra fuel and time it took vs the coastal ports just didn't make it work.

Guy feeding birds just down from

EHtnInD.jpg

ACQ9fve.jpg

Very sad indeed :( I'm afraid there are some people that just don't care, no matter how much these problems are publicised.

Back
Top Bottom