Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan! Tokyo!

mwgdrwg

Be a Pisces. Jam.
So I want to go to Japan next year for my 40th. I've not had many opportunities to travel in my life, but visiting Japan is something I've always wanted to do. I'm determined to go. I've got a million questions so I'm going to ask some of the seasoned travellers on here :D

1) Is March a good time to go?
2) I've got kids, so I'm thinking of taking them for a week, either that or have a mid-life crisis and go on my own - is it a mad idea to take kids to Japan? There's a Disneyland and Ghibli Museum in Tokyo right?
3) I've heard that I should only stay in Tokyo for 3/4 days, then go somewhere more chilled out - any ideas?

Thanks!

So I want to go to Japan next year for my 40th. I've not had many opportunities to travel in my life, but visiting Japan is something I've always wanted to do. I'm determined to go. I've got a million questions so I'm going to ask some of the seasoned travellers on here :D

2) I've got kids, so I'm thinking of taking them for a week, either that or have a mid-life crisis and go on my own - is it a mad idea to take kids to Japan? There's a Disneyland and Ghibli Museum in Tokyo right?
3) I've heard that I should only stay in Tokyo for 3/4 days, then go somewhere more chilled out - any ideas?

Thanks!

1, I go in March almost every year (is this because of school holidays?). It is awesome because you get to enjoy hanami.

2, I always go with my kid and it is fab, though I have a wife who looks after her when I want to go out with my friends. Ghibli yes, Disney no.

3, Fuck it, there are shit loads of of chilled out places in Tokyo, don't waste time traveling, it's just extra ball ache.

I'm off there for Christmas but I will probably also be there again in March / April 2013.

to catch hanami it is end of march/early april isn't it?
i imagine it is fine with kids but it would be good if you could somehow arrange at least a couple of nights without them to do nightime stuff. it is pretty tiring to travel around the city too, lots of walking and getting lost is pretty much inevitable.

i imagine it is fine with kids but it would be good if you could somehow arrange at least a couple of nights without them to do nightime stuff. it is pretty tiring to travel around the city too, lots of walking and getting lost is pretty much inevitable.

Actually yeah, going with kids could be hard. I think the only real day out I have had with my daughter in Tokyo was at the Ghibli museum. Tokyo nightlife can be bags of fun.

Mind you, do you remember Mr Death? I have seen him out with his kid a few times. Hes a bit nuts though.

i'm not sure i remember Mr Death.
I think if i was going to visit Tokyo once in a lifetime for just a week, i would probably choose to do it without children ideally, as it would cut out so much stuff that you might want to do. However i think it could be good either way. Hello Kitty world would be another good childrens thing as well as Ghibli. i can still smell the pink sugar http://www.puroland.co.jp/english/welcome.html

i defintely agree with not leaving the city for a week, you can't even see a tiny fraction in a week...

Mr Death is that guy who wears a nappy and a fez. Emma managed to steal one of his hats back in April.

I'm hoping I can go without them to be honest and treating them to a holiday somewhere closer to home a few months before I go.

Just been reading about the Hanami and the Ueno Sakura Festival so end of March/beginning of April is looking good :)

Tokyo in March is pleasant, before it really hots up. The Ghibli place is worth a look, they show short films that you can't (yet) get on DVD and there's plenty to keep the kids occupied. However, to gain entry you have to book in advance. We did it via the Japan Centre in Piccadilly Circus. Also, make sure you get their early in the day because it really does fill up. If you travel, I suggest Kyoto - much more relaxed or Nara, the old capital. Nara has deer roaming around the streets. And if you can, travel by the shinkasen (bullet train).

Also, make sure you get their early in the day because it really does fill up. .
I have been a few times and it hasn't 'really' filled up. The reason you have to book is because only a certain number of people are allowed to visit in one day so that it is never uncomfortable.

they show short films that you can't (yet) get on DVD
They say they will never be available outside the museum. There are not even snippets available on the tour DVD. Best you can do is buy the books. Gibblies part one hasn't even made it's way to DVD. Bit odd when you can get a DVD that is practically just a load of NHK idents.

I have been a few times and it hasn't 'really' filled up. The reason you have to book is because only a certain number of people are allowed to visit in one day so that it is never uncomfortable.

Admittedly, it was in the afternoon - I was hot & there were so many kids (well, duh) running about. Apart from that, I loved it :D

Thanks!

I spend a lot of time in Japan, and am in Tokyo at the moment. It's unfeasibly hot, but apart from that just as fascinating as ever.

Yes, you should definitely go. To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Don't go in July or August, it gets nasty.

2. Japan is a kids' culture in many ways, they'll love it. You might want to leave the wife behind though iykwim.

3. Don't miss Kyoto, possibly the most beautiful city on earth.

Any of you that have been to Japan how do you book your holiday? just a flight and you have relatives and/or friends there or do you use holiday companies?
Want to go myself but do not know anyone there and as you all know there is simply too many must see places in japan. Looked at one of the semi tour guided holidays but they seem pretty intentent on swiftly moving through the country and getting in possibly too much in at once? Plus there is the price of these companies. So how do you people who have been or go to Japan handle the logistics of getting around and saving money or is it the time ot splash out as much as you can?

Definitely worth going to Kamakura. Its a chilled out traditional templey town an hour or so from Tokyo.

Want to see as much as possible, includes several cities but just trying to work out if this will be best over one trip or over a couple of seperate trips?
Mainly the price being the issues as its not the cheapest place to holiday or go on holiday, but at the same time i want to make sure i have enough time in each place.

Well, yeah, there has been a fair bit of moving about by train as well, but I do know I've been fortunate with people putting me up. Get to experience ordinary Japanese life as well, with eating, drinking and taking the piss out of stuff on the telly with their family etc. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom