Watching the WC final in Tokyo (optimistic I know)

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by ash, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ash

ash Inittogether

So we will be in Tokyo (Shinjuku) for the much anticipated England game. If the anticipation is correct does anyone know of a good place to watch with 14 year old? I know there will be plenty of places but if anyone has a recommendation that would be good?
    ATOMIC SUPLEX, gaijingirl

2. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Should be spoilt for choice no? Not like the Japanese don't like football...

ash likes this.
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

What time is it on? Up until 11pm you are cool, but when it get's to all night izakaya time you may have more trouble with A. a 14 year old, and B. having somewhere that is playing in it in a 12-4 izakaya.

If you are in Shinjuku there are loads of those Hub english pub izakayas. The are always playing sports. I'm not a big fan of football or hub english pubs . . . . but there is quite a nice big spacious one in Shinjuku that's a bit more out of the way and comfortable i'll look up the exact location if you are interested. I stayed near it for about 3 months so did visit a few times as the wife isn't mad keen on dive bars and this is borderline family restaurant territory.

There almost certainly is some sporto places, but not being even the slightest bit interested I have never looked.
    So my short answer is have a look on the internet, you are probably in the best place in Japan to find somewhere.

4. ash

ash Inittogether

Thanks AS- if you can find the name of the one you went to with your wife that sounds good. It starts at 12.00 midnight so not a great time by the sounds of it.
    I appreciate your input

5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Humm, I doubt it will be open. The 12-4am ones are generally enclosed rooms, no TV, get wrecked and puke up the bathroom joints. . . people waiting for the trains to start again at 4-5am (you may have noticed all transport stops dead at around 12.
    They might put on something special, I dunno.

I could ask the wife, though not a sports fan she has the advantage of living in Tokyo for 30 odd years.

6. ash

ash Inittogether

Oh dear sounds like it might be in the hotel room then. If your wife has any ideas let me know. I will of course do some research myself once I know it's happening .

7. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I did a facebook mail out to Tokyo friends. . . I have to say though that with it being midnight and having a 14 year old on tow it's not going to be very likely at all.
    The only other thing I can think of involves traveling out of tokyo to a friend of mines english pub type thing. He will be watching and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

8. ATOMIC SUPLEX

The only other thing that I can think of is going back to my first idea.
    The Hub english pub is in opera city north shinjuku. It does sports so may have something on as a special event giving it later opening hours (will usually shut at 11.30 like everywhere else).
    Check the events shedule nearer the time
    HUB東京オペラシティ店| 英国風パブ HUB | 82ALE HOUSE
    I really really doubt it though.
    As I said this is more a family place than your normal izakaya.
    Other sports bars will be playing the game, but you won't be able to bring a 14 year old in unless you can pass him off as 21.

9. ash

ash Inittogether

Thanks for all the information I will check out the Hub nearer the time. If not we can watch it in the hotel room (which will be fine) and hope it's large enough for the 3 of us to do a lap of honour if we win.

10. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Don't worry, England won't.

11. ATOMIC SUPLEX

I'm also informed (by the bar owner I mentioned before) that the game will be at 3am.

12. ash

ash Inittogether

IMG_0113.PNG
    Interesting - it is listed at 00.00 at lots of the HUB bars. The Shinjuku ones below don’t seem to include Hub 82 Ale House ( or do you think it might be referred to differently in this list:

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Ahh, some are showing it!

スポーツイベント | 英国風パブ HUB | 82ALE HOUSE
    3.00am
    It does have it scheduled for 3am.

It may not be listed as in shinjuku because it is closer to nishishinjuku or hatsudai maybe?
    It would be the opera city branch though.

14. ATOMIC SUPLEX

15. ATOMIC SUPLEX

16. ATOMIC SUPLEX

OK got it. I think.
    There is one that says it is in shinjuku but it's further away than shibuya and in a dodgy area.
    HUB高田馬場店| 英国風パブ HUB | 82ALE HOUSE
    Best bet is shibuya, not far from shinjuku (I would personally just walk it, but I don't mind long walks). Otherwise at 3am you will need a taxi, but there will be trains running by the time it's over.
    HUB渋谷店| 英国風パブ HUB | 82ALE HOUSE
    HUB渋谷道玄坂店| 英国風パブ HUB | 82ALE HOUSE
    Don't know what their deal with 14 year olds is. You would have to ask.

17. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I've asked a Tokyo friend - I'll let you know if he comes back with anything.

ash likes this.
  18. ash

ash Inittogether

Great thanks would have been difficult to work out otherwise. We're happy walking especially late at night when it's not too busy. Now it's 3am start (not sure how I got that wrong) not sure about taking a 14 year old we will have a think !
    cheers x gaijingirl

19. ash

ash Inittogether

Cheers gaijingirl x

20. ash

ash Inittogether

I’m surprised that Tokyo shuts down so early I thought it would be a 24 hour city in the centre? Anyway I’m too old for all that generally but would be good to watch the final with others.

21. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

ash likes this.
  22. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Bloody hell! Can't imagine paying 3000 yens to go to a hub, let alone stand and watch football there at 3am. I'd deffo go with hotel and takeouts.

krtek a houby and ash like this.
  23. jbob

jbob Well-Known Member

Quite, that's nuts. The Hub is strictly on a needs must basis, but paying for the privilege of an already overpriced slice of shitty ersatz England? Madness.

24. ATOMIC SUPLEX

It is 24 hours, just not for transport. There is always somewhere to go, and I love that you can always get something at the seven eleven/family mart etc whatever time it is. . . And they are everywhere. I use seven spot for all my Roaming WiFi needs.
    Sadly all the late night fun my friends have tends to be in the Shinjuku, koenji or shimokitazawa areas, so impossible for me to get home from as I generally stay with family in shinkohiwa the other side of Tokyo. I also do quite like that gigs end at a decent time, though there are many that start at 12 and go until 4am, it's a bit like there are two nights in one night. I know some people who will go to both and still get up for work the next morning. I'm too old for that shit.

krtek a houby and ash like this.
  25. gaijingirl

My friend recommended The Aldgate Pub in Shibuya... he said this:

"There's always the Aldgate British pub you could watch the game in. It's a pub but it's a quiet pub not a rowdy pub. A sunday roast kind of pub. I've seen families bring kids in there before."

disclaimer - I don't know that this means you can definitely take them in there at that time of night but my guess is with a 14 year old you might be ok.

Also I looked at their website and they seem to be showing it but their listings look a bit confused on timings... :D

ash likes this.
  26. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Oof, I would recommend that over a Hub any day of the anything.
    Actually looks the part rather than having Mr Bean, Monty Python, Beatles and James Bond themed drinks and food. . . and American football constantly streaming, (just like we do in english pubs).

It wasn't a HUB but I was taken to an english pub in shmokitazawa. Fish and chips were ordered to make me feel 'at home', but when they came they were small children's fish fingers in the shape of fish and a packet of crisps (chips) in a basket.

Fez909 and ash like this.
  27. ash

ash Inittogether

That sounds like a good option - I will do some investigating. Thank your friend.
    I think I will avoid the fish and chips !!
    Good old urban : )

28. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

I should add that you got vouchers for snacks and beer worth ¥2000 and a novelty flag, apparently. So slightly less of a blow :)

The Hub is a chain, does what it says on the tin. It's nothing special but it serves a purpose.

Anyways, we've had a look and can't see if they are charging on the night. The charge was in place for the Japan games as they were, as you can imagine, incredibly popular.

29. gaijingirl

but he also adds this:

One thing. Thursday's match against Croatia will be on at 3am Japan time so seeing live might be tough. I think the Aldgate usually closes at 2am but they'll be showing Friday.