Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the main problems with the Democrats is that they keep moving right in an effort to grab Republican voters--"republicans lite." In a choice between Republicans Lite and Republicans, the working class voters will take the Republicans. Bernie polled so well because he didn't try to out Republican the Republicans. The thing is, I think the Democratic leadership is impervious to this information. They also continue to suck at messaging. Absolutely suck at it.

That's on the list of things were not allowed to talk about in the US.
TBF I saw one Hilary rally and for the 15 minutes I watched it was all about climate change. and then Al Gore came on and carried on the theme...i was hoping it was a sign that things had moved on out there

Im sure we're gertting bored of voting statistics, but Kenan Malik has done a really interesting reading here, looking not just at final breakdowns, but swings from last election:
HOW AMERICA GOT TRUMPED:

"
At first sight all this seems to give weight to the ‘whitelash’ thesis, the idea that Trump rose to power on a wave of rage from white, male Christians. The real story is, however, more complex. If we look not at the aggregate figures but at the shifts in support, we can tell a different story.

The majority of white voters, for instance, may have supported Trump, but he gained only 1% more white support than did Mitt Romney in 2012. Similarly only 1% fewer women voted for Trump than for Romney. On the other hand, 29% of Hispanics voted for Trump, an 8% swing compared to 2012. As for all the claims about millennials coming out against Trump, there was in fact a 5% swing towards Trump among 18-29 year olds, but a 4% swing towards Clinton among over-65s.

Insofar as there was a lash, then, it was a far more complex one than a simple ‘whitelash’. One key change was in how the poor voted. 53% of those earning less than $30,000 voted Clinton, while only 41% voted for Trump. These figures have led some to dismiss the idea that Trump’s success was rooted in working class hatred of the Washington establishment. But what the figures show is that among the poorest sections of American society, who traditionally overwhelmingly vote Democrat, there was a huge 16% swing towards Trump as compared to 2012.

This shift relates to perhaps the most striking difference between Trump and Clinton voters. More than three-quarters of Trump supporters feel financially worse off today than in 2012, 72% of Clinton supporters feel better off. And asked about whether life for the next generation, 59% of Clinton supporters thought it would better, 63% of Trump supporters thought it would be worse."

theres more in the link

Last edited:
I'm curious about the rise in race-hate attacks following Trumps victory, similar to Brexit of course.

Both events were described by the establishment as a consequence of anti-establishment sentiment, leading to an increase in power for conservatism. Funny that.

Anyway, if someone can fill me in on how race-hate is anti establishment I'd be most gratified.

Oh, and Clinton is fucking dreadful. I don't doubt that for a second.

One of the main problems with the Democrats Labour is that they keep moving right in an effort to grab Republican Tory voters--"republicans Tories lite." In a choice between Republicans Tories Lite and Republicans Tories, the working class voters will take the Republicans Tories. Bernie Jeremy polled so well because he didn't try to out Republican Tory the Republicans Tories. The thing is, I think the Democratic Labour leadership is impervious to this information. They also continue to suck at messaging. Absolutely suck at it.
:(

One of the main problems with the Democrats is that they keep moving right in an effort to grab Republican voters--"republicans lite." In a choice between Republicans Lite and Republicans, the working class voters will take the Republicans. Bernie polled so well because he didn't try to out Republican the Republicans. The thing is, I think the Democratic leadership is impervious to this information. They also continue to suck at messaging. Absolutely suck at it.

I thought that these people were aware of this reality and were just devious but after the election fallout I can see that some are genuinely just stupid, in total thrall to their idiot groupthink. It makes sense, what else could explain these things?

Hillary Clinton: Single-payer health care will "never, ever" happen - CBS News

John Lewis on Bernie Sanders: ‘There’s not anything free in America’ | Political Insider

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/23/the-truth-about-the-sanders-movement/

Against transparency

Watch: The Daily Show tries to reason with overzealous Bernie Sanders supporters

If you say anything negative about Bernie Sanders on the internet, it won't be long until you're labeled a shill for Hillary Clinton.

On Thursday, The Daily Show took on this trend. When host Trevor Noah tried to raise some questions about Sanders's policies and chances in the Democratic primaries, he hit some roadblocks.

As Noah started, correspondent Desi Lydic appeared on the scene, crashing a pair of cymbals to create a distraction. "I think we all know you meant that there's nothing wrong with Bernie Sanders. We love him and all of his policies," she said. "Trevor, have you ever pissed off Bernie Sanders supporters? It's like poking a hornet's nest — a hornet's nest with student debt. Can't you just do something less controversial — like, I don't know, draw a picture of Mohammed on a pig?"

Noah kept trying. He pointed out that the delegate math just doesn't look good for Sanders, that his health care plan initially promised to save more on drugs than the country even spends, and—

Bernie Sanders Faces Criticism Over Comments On Race

MSNBC's Joy Reid Pushes "Bernie Bro" Myth, Ignores Hillary Bros

Albright: 'special place in hell' for women who don't support Clinton

Feminist Gloria Steinem says young women support Bernie because they want attention from boys.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the rise in race-hate attacks following Trumps victory, similar to Brexit of course.

Both events were described by the establishment as a consequence of anti-establishment sentiment, leading to an increase in power for conservatism. Funny that.

Anyway, if someone can fill me in on how race-hate is anti establishment I'd be most gratified.

Oh, and Clinton is fucking dreadful. I don't doubt that for a second.
I've not seen any description by establishment figures in the US of consequent racist violence as "anti-establishment". Actually I don't think I've seen it in the UK either. It gets characterised as wronguns who've misunderstood the situation, the same as for attacks on the homeless/disabled.

his hair really is incredible - how come it never flies away in the wind?
The only wind that ever dares near him are his breath and his farts
Both vile and poisonous, neither trouble his head
As does little else he has ever encountered
FarceWipeHeadPillarLives shocker

15036207_10157863392485226_4406473220308257211_n.jpg

The only sliver of hope is that his promises cannot be kept. He cannot bring millions of jobs back if he triggers a trade war. He cannot build a massive new wall across the entire southern border and get Mexico to pay for it. He cannot deport millions of illegal immigrants, without massive new funding from Congress and major civil unrest. He cannot “destroy ISIS”; his very election will empower it in ways its leaders could not possibly have hoped for. He cannot both cut taxes on the rich, fund a massive new infrastructure program, boost military spending, protect entitlements, and not tip the U.S. into levels of debt even Paul Krugman might blanch at. At some point, a few timid souls in the GOP may mention the concepts of individual liberty or due process or small government or balanced budgets. At some point even his supporters may worry or balk, and his support may fade.

But hope fades in turn when you realize how absolute and total his support clearly is. His support is not like that of a democratic leader but of a cult leader fused with the idea of the nation. If he fails, as he will, he will blame others, as he always does. And his cult followers will take their cue from him and no one else. “In Trump We Trust,” as his acolyte Ann Coulter titled her new book. And so there will have to be scapegoats — media institutions, the Fed, the “global conspiracy” of bankers and Davos muckety-mucks he previewed in his rankly anti-Semitic closing ad, rival politicians whom he will demolish by new names of abuse, foreign countries and leaders who do not cooperate, and doubtless civilians who will be targeted by his ranks of followers and demonized from the bully pulpit itself. The man has no impulse control and massive reserves of vengeance and hatred. In time, as his failures mount, the campaigns of vilification will therefore intensify. They will have to.

And then there will be a terror attack — or several, as he defines the global battle against terror as one against an entire religion and breathes new life into Al Qaeda and ISIS. What he does after such an attack is utterly predictable, given his past statements, and will likely decimate what civil liberties we have left. Then there will be a clash between police and largely black protestors after another unarmed black man is shot. And he will relish a show of massive police force that will inflame this country in ways probably not seen since the 1960s. Then he will reinstate Guantánamo and capture prisoners and torture them until the truth he wants is extracted. That truth will be used to further advance the “war against Islam.” He will make every Muslim American feel afraid — and foment suspicion and hatred among their neighbors. Every single thing we have come to know about this man all but predicts each of these things will come about. All of them portend the end of the America that the world has long known and now must fear.

I see no way to stop this at first, but some of us will have to try. And what we must seek to preserve are the core institutions that he may threaten — the courts, first of all, even if he shifts the Supreme Court to an unprecedentedly authoritarian-friendly one. Then the laws governing the rules of war, so that war crimes do not define America as their disavowal once did. Then the free press, which he will do all he can to intimidate and, if possible, bankrupt. Then the institutions he will have to destroy to achieve what he wants — an independent Department of Justice as one critical bulwark, what’s left of the FBI that will not be an instrument of his reign of revenge, our scientific institutions, and what’s left of free thought in our colleges and universities. We will need to march peacefully on the streets to face down the massive intimidation he will at times present to a truly free and open society. We have to hold our heads up high as we defend the values of the old republic, even as it crumbles into authoritarian dust. We must be prepared for nonviolent civil disobedience. We must transcend racial and religious division in a movement of resistance that is as diverse and as open as the new president’s will be uniform and closed.

And, impossible though it may be, we will have to resist partisanship. The only way back to a free society, to a country where no one need fear the president’s wrath or impulses, is to unwind the factionalism that has helped destroy this country. We have to forge a new coalition on right and left to resist fascism’s reach and cultic power. In a country which just elected and re-elected a black president — whose grace feels now almost painful to recall — it is surely possible.
The Republic Repeals Itself

A country designed to resist tyranny has now embraced it. A constitution designed to prevent democracy taking over everything has now succumbed to it. A country once defined by self-government has openly, clearly, enthusiastically delivered its fate into the hands of one man to do as he sees fit. After 240 years, an idea that once inspired the world has finally repealed itself. We the people did it.

What's the beef with intersectionality then? Have you actually read any of Crenshaw's work, or bell hooks maybe? Do you actually know what it means, or only going on what you THINK it means?

I think the point was that your average working class American, or even one with some college isn't going to know what she's going on about. It's just not a word that's in common use. The voters she had to appeal to have never read Crenshaw or bell hooks.

Last edited:
What's the beef with intersectionality then? Have you actually read any of Crenshaw's work, or bell hooks maybe? Do you actually know what it means, or only going on what you THINK it means?

In some ways I don't think that Crenshaw's work is very good but the basic principle behind intersectionality is sound enough. My criticism here is that Clinton used deliberately alienating academic liberal language in order to campaign, the reason why that is not good should be intuitive. What's even worse is that she did all this in order to marshal intersectionality in the abstract, and in reality ethnic minority persons, as a sort of talisman to wield against Social Democratic politics. The areas of the country this featured most prominently in her campaigning during the primaries were the ones she lost to Trump.

I think the point was that your average working class American, or even one with some college isn't going to know she's going on about. It's just not a word that's in common use. The voters she had to appeal to have never read Crenshaw or bell hooks.

Honestly it's not even that great anyway, but the way it's used by US liberals is even worse. Even within activist circles it is used as a weapon in order to jockey for influence, as for people outside those circles....

It's difficult to imagine a more alienating political culture than the one that has been constructed. It isn't just the white working-class who has been alienated from it either, we can see from the voting stats that the 'coalition of the ascendant' (what Clintonites patronisingly call people who aren't white) wanted nothing to do with the 'coalition of the ascendant and Wall Street' lash-up.

We'll see a lot of this stuff because people are concerned that the reaction of the Democratic establishment will be what they've seen before, and what we see regularly from liberal parties everywhere - take the "encourage and exploit reactionary sentiment" aspect and try to compete on that basis. During the Bush II presidency, after 9/11, the Democrats did this consistently. Of course, people may misconstrue the motivations and divorce it from systemic behaviour to pretend that it's an individual reaction (perhaps stemming from "being too nice").
I'm seeing this a lot.

People think that all that's going to happen now is that they're going to be asked to accept a load of shit as acceptable. They're probably right. It doesn't mean that that load of shit was the actual reason for Trump being elected.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRI
I don't like Michael Tracey very much but this is a very telling article and is actual journalism

How Hillary Lost North Carolina: Most People Disliked Her

As the 7:30pm deadline in North Carolina approached, there was not a soul waiting on line at one Fayetteville, NC voting location. Earlier in the day I had been told by an election judge to expect a late rush, but it never seemed to come. As of 3:00pm, the judge said that turnout had decreased by around 6% in one heavily black precinct. Working that same site was Justin Shumpert, 21, a young black man and aspiring rapper. (Also the claimed cousin of Cleveland Cavaliers defensive monster Iman Shumpert.) He’d been paid $100 to hand out Democratic Party literature in front of the polling site, but when queried as to his own beliefs, he said he wouldn’t vote. “She lied too many times,” he said, explaining why he couldn’t stand Hillary Clinton. Asked who he’d prefer between the two candidates if forced to choose, Shumpert said Trump. “At least he says what he’s going to do. She just hides it,” he said. (He added that he would’ve gladly voted for a third term of Barack Obama.)
Ultimately, Hillary received 70,523 votes in Democratic-leaning Cumberland County, home to Fayetteville. In 2012, Obama received 74,991 votes there — representing a decrease of 6% over four years.

There were signals that Trump’s much-discussed dearth of “ground game” — he didn’t have enough offices! He hadn’t hired enough operatives! — could sink him in North Carolina, but that never came to pass. I visited the Buncombe County GOP headquarters, in the far western portion of the state, on Sunday afternoon to find the office closed. No canvassing, no phone-banking, no nothing, two days before the election in one of the most crucial states in the country? It was ridiculous, but somehow Trump pulled off the win anyway. He won North Carolina overall by 3.8%, a relatively comfortable margin; Mitt Romney won it four years ago by only 2.2%. (Obama won it by just .3% in 2008.)

As our map (above) of America’s voting patterns on a county-by-county basis going back to 1952 makes clear, Mr Trump’s gains were concentrated in rural areas across the northern United States. Republicans have long held the edge in America’s wide-open spaces, but never has the gap been this profound: a whopping 80% of voters who have over one square mile (2.6 square km) of land to enjoy to themselves backed Mr Trump. As the scatter plot below demonstrates, as counties become increasingly densely populated, fewer and fewer vote Republican. American politics appear to be realigning along a cleavage between inward-looking countryfolk and urban globalists. Mr Trump hails from the latter group, but his message resounded with the former. A uniquely divisive candidate, he is both perhaps the least likely politician in the country to build bridges across that gap and also the only one who has the capacity to do so.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/11/daily-chart-7?fsrc=permar|image2

Honestly this is interesting, it's from a right-wing website, and it uses their vocabulary, but they hit the right note in a lot of places.

How Jon Stewart And 'The Daily Show' Elected Donald Trump

On October 15, 2004, the CNN program “Crossfire” altered its standard procedure of featuring two guests from different perspectives to have just one guest: Jon Stewart. The hosts welcomed him and encouraged him to promote his bestselling book “America (The Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction.”

He immediately tore into the hosts for the way their show encouraged conflict. He complained that politicians can’t speak more freely because it’s impossible to survive a media environment where shows with titles like “Crossfire” or “Hardball” or “I’m Going To Kick Your Ass” will come after them. He said Crossfire in particular was “bad” and “hurting America.” “Stop. Stop hurting America” he said.

He called the hosts hacks and dismissed the idea that he was sucking up to John Kerry when he asked him questions such as “How are you holding up?” and “Are these attacks fair to you?”

Crossfire was canceled soon thereafter. Most people credit Stewart for not just killing the show, but bringing forth a new age of hyper-political, hyper-liberal late-night comedy. The news scene hasn’t changed altogether much since Stewart’s temper tantrum — except for featuring far less argument-sharpening debate and civil discourse than we had under “Crossfire” when Stewart went on his tear. “Crossfire” used to be one of the few places guests and hosts at least confronted conflicting views, including questions about perspectives and assumptions. It engaged the viewers, rather than ambushed or mocked them. It was also one of the few places on TV outside of Fox News where conservative views were given an audience.

The decline of civil discourse didn’t just happen on cable news shows, thanks to Stewart. He also helped kill it on late-night comedy shows as well.

Rise Of ‘The Daily Show’
Jon Stewart took over “The Daily Show” in 1999, and during the eight years of the Bush presidency the “fake news” show grew into a powerhouse. A 2007 Pew Research Center poll named Stewart as America’s fourth most admired news anchor. The show won dozens of Emmys and multiple Peabody awards. The New York Times called Stewart “the modern-day equivalent of Edward R. Murrow.”

In a gushing 2008 feature on the show in the New York Times (“Is Jon Stewart the Most Trusted Man in America?“) Michiko Kakutani called it “both the smartest, funniest show on television and a provocative and substantive source of news.” She claimed the show was “animated not by partisanship but by a deep mistrust of all ideology. A sane voice in a noisy red-blue echo chamber.”

She didn’t list any examples of the show going after Democrats, instead praising it for its handling of the “cherry-picking of prewar intelligence, the politicization of the Department of Justice and the efforts of the Bush White House to augment its executive power.” She quoted Stewart saying he looked forward to the end of the Bush administration “as a comedian, as a person, as a citizen, as a mammal.” He said that Bush “conducted things” with “true viciousness and contempt.” As a sane voice would put it.

The show’s producers said they try to find stories that “make us angry in a whole new way.” Sometimes, to get the crowd properly whipped up, they had to slice and dice interviews to make targets seem like they had said the opposite of what they’d said. Sometimes Stewart just got angry at conservatives he’d invited on the show, particularly when they showed him up on his home court, as Clifford May, John Yoo, Jonah Goldberg, and various others did.

Kakutani wrote that Stewart used different comedic approaches, but that he was “often” reacting to something “so absurd” that he didn’t say anything, just stared blankly with an expression of dismay. Who can forget the pencil tapping and the goofy exasperation Stewart perfected?

Liberal Political Comedy Shows Expand
At the time Stewart went on his “Crossfire” attack, he was preparing “Colbert Report,” a new “fake news show” that would have even less viewpoint diversity than his “Daily Show.” Bill Maher had already launched “Real Time with Bill Maher” a year prior, a weekly, hour-long liberal comedy show on HBO. “The Colbert Report” satirized conservative pundit shows. It “eviscerated” and “destroyed” conservatives until 2014, at which point Colbert was given the coveted “Late Show,” replacing David Letterman.

Liberal “Saturday Night Live” alum Seth Meyers got his own NBC late-night show in 2014. John Oliver got his “Last Week Tonight” show on HBO that year, too. Liberal Trevor Noah was given “The Daily Show” slot last year. Larry Wilmore replaced Colbert, but his show was canceled in August. Samantha Bee, frustrated by the snub over at Comedy Central, launched her own political show on TBS. She and Oliver are the comedians most likely to be praised for “destroying” things.

Thanks to Stewart, late-night shows are liberal political shows, with very few exceptions, and nearly all of the hosts are alums of “The Daily Show” or otherwise inspired by his faux-news mockery.

Wilmore is enjoying success with his smart and funny new show “Insecure” on HBO. That’s good, since the comment the New York Times made of his canceled show was: “any one episode of ‘The Nightly Show’ could occasionally go for prolonged stretches without a single joke, something that intrigued some critics but failed to attract a broader audience.” He also bombed his White House Correspondents Dinnerperformance.

But I’m not sure that is something to be ashamed of. Let’s remember back to 2011, when Meyers hosted it and spent much of the evening mocking Donald Trump:

Obama and Meyers didn’t bomb. Far from it. But their cruel and dismissive mockery, which they both maintained through the bitter end of this election, doesn’t look so hot in retrospect.

Absurdity is at the heart of comedy. Mockery can be a way to show that something or someone defies logic or is otherwise absurd. At its best, and at the beginning, prior to 2004, “The Daily Show” excelled at using mockery as part of its repertoire of comedy tricks. But different views than the elites’ aren’t automatically absurd. When the majority of opposing arguments are treated as absurd, the schtick wears thin.

Unfortunately, mocking opponents and hyperbolic extremism are the only thing many comics can deploy. Early in “The Daily Show’s” run, Stewart invited conservatives on his show, debated them, and showed respect to a few of them. By the end, such treatment was rarer. The shows he spawned, particularly Bee’s and Oliver’s, are not about dialogue or debate. They lack the talent to engage opposing viewpoints even at the paltry level that Stewart did.

That points to another reason to fear Mr Trump’s populist victory. For populism involves more than policies that are at once simple and stirring enough to shout at a rally (“Build That Wall”) or print on a bumper sticker. Populism is also the politics of Them and Us, involving appeals to tribal identities, and zero-sum contests over hard-pressed resources. Populism is hardly new. What makes Mr Trump’s win different is that he so explicitly sought to cast his opponents as illegitimate, unfit, contemptible, un-American or (a favourite word) “disgusting”—and was confident that he would find an echo among his voters.

Mr Trump was the nominee of a party which, after losing the presidential election of 2012, commissioned a post-mortem concluding that until Republicans built a new coalition, including more non-whites and other fast-growing demographic blocs, it would struggle to win national office again. Mr Trump’s gamble was to take an exactly opposite approach. He bet everything on a strategy of nostalgic nationalism, summed up in the slogan “Make America Great Again”, precisely because his hunch was that the country is home to an underestimated mass of voters who do not want to be part of any rainbow coalition, thank you—and certainly not if the price is granting amnesty to immigrants in the country without the right papers, or embracing gay marriage.

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...-elects-path-power-people-v?fsrc=permar|text4

Autocracy: Rules for Survival

Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says. Whenever you find yourself thinking, or hear others claiming, that he is exaggerating, that is our innate tendency to reach for a rationalization. This will happen often: humans seem to have evolved to practice denial when confronted publicly with the unacceptable.

Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality. Consider the financial markets this week, which, having tanked overnight, rebounded following the Clinton and Obama speeches. Confronted with political volatility, the markets become suckers for calming rhetoric from authority figures. So do people. Panic can be neutralized by falsely reassuring words about how the world as we know it has not ended.

Rule #3: Institutions will not save you. It took Putin a year to take over the Russian media and four years to dismantle its electoral system; the judiciary collapsed unnoticed. The capture of institutions in Turkey has been carried out even faster, by a man once celebrated as the democrat to lead Turkey into the EU.

Rule #4: Be outraged. If you follow Rule #1 and believe what the autocrat-elect is saying, you will not be surprised. But in the face of the impulse to normalize, it is essential to maintain one’s capacity for shock. This will lead people to call you unreasonable and hysterical, and to accuse you of overreacting. It is no fun to be the only hysterical person in the room. Prepare yourself.

Rule #5: Don’t make compromises. Like Ted Cruz, who made the journey from calling Trump “utterly amoral” and a “pathological liar” to endorsing him in late September to praising his win as an “amazing victory for the American worker,” Republican politicians have fallen into line. Conservative pundits who broke ranks during the campaign will return to the fold. Democrats in Congress will begin to make the case for cooperation, for the sake of getting anything done—or at least, they will say, minimizing the damage. Nongovernmental organizations, many of which are reeling at the moment, faced with a transition period in which there is no opening for their input, will grasp at chances to work with the new administration. This will be fruitless—damage cannot be minimized, much less reversed, when mobilization is the goal—but worse, it will be soul-destroying.

Rule #6: Remember the future. Nothing lasts forever. Donald Trump certainly will not, and Trumpism, to the extent that it is centered on Trump’s persona, will not either. Failure to imagine the future may have lost the Democrats this election. They offered no vision of the future to counterbalance Trump’s all-too-familiar white-populist vision of an imaginary past.

Trump is back at the tweeting again. He's blaming the media for inciting the recent demonstrations.

Donald Trump has accused the media of “inciting” protests against his election victory as demonstrations continue days after the shock result.

Thousands of people have taken to the streets in cities including New York, Chicago and Portland for two consecutive nights, with some rallies seeing clashes with armed police and arrests.

The President-elect took to Twitter to respond on Thursday night.

He said: “Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!”

Donald Trump originally told people to protest a 'rigged' election. Now he's branding protesters 'very unfair'

... and yet, as ska invita's link to the exit polling in the NY Times above shows he actually did get more non-white voters than Romney did - enough to win him the election. The rest of that article just reads as if its the same sort of "we lost because our opponent / his supporters are horrible" self-exculpating dross that is so fashionable nowadays.

Myron Ebell as interim head of the EPA, former tobacco industry lobbyist who turned to climate denial around 2000. One of the key architects of the modern denialist movement. Now interim head of the EPA. Has some really fun views on endangered species as well.

While technology has almost reached a point where the "pull" of cheap renewables alone can drive uptake we have also arrived at a point where there is not time left. The Bush years were wasted years, we do not have years left to waste. We are cutting into the remaining 50ppm we have to get up to 450ppm which is the median value assumed to be where we reach the guardrail 2C warming.

Trump promising a huge surge in coal and fracking. He has already shat over the mugs who voted for him to "take on the bankers" by stating he will repeal Dodd Frank. But by appointing Ebell he is making clear that he intends to rip up about every environmental legislation he can lay a hand on.

Myron Ebell as interim head of the EPA, former tobacco industry lobbyist who turned to climate denial around 2000. One of the key architects of the modern denialist movement. Now interim head of the EPA. Has some really fun views on endangered species as well.

While technology has almost reached a point where the "pull" of cheap renewables alone can drive uptake we have also arrived at a point where there is not time left. The Bush years were wasted years, we do not have years left to waste. We are cutting into the remaining 50ppm we have to get up to 450ppm which is the median value assumed to be where we reach the guardrail 2C warming.

Trump promising a huge surge in coal and fracking. He has already shat over the mugs who voted for him to "take on the bankers" by stating he will repeal Dodd Frank. But by appointing Ebell he is making clear that he intends to rip up about every environmental legislation he can lay a hand on.

DNC Staffer Screams At Donna Brazile For Helping Elect Donald Trump | The Huffington Post

“Why should we trust you as chair to lead us through this?” he asked, according to two people in the room. “You backed a flawed candidate, and your friend [former DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz] plotted through this to support your own gain and yourself.”

Some DNC staffers started to boo and some told him to sit down. Brazile began to answer, but Zach had more to say.

“You are part of the problem,” he continued, blaming Brazile for clearing the path for Trump’s victory by siding with Clinton early on. “You and your friends will die of old age and I’m going to die from climate change. You and your friends let this happen, which is going to cut 40 years off my life expectancy.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom