Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Zebra taxi cab in Brixton Road!

editor

hiraethified
I had this fascinating photo forwarded to me by a poster here (thanks!) of a zebra-driven taxi cab leaving Brixton and heading for Stockwell.

The photo wasn't dated, but I'm guessing that it was taken around 1915. The only real clue is the advertisement for Quin and Axtens on the railway bridge, although that seems to have changed regularly - witness the different styles seen in 1920 and a year later.

The lower poster on the corner of Brixton Station Road is for a piano shop, while just past the bridge can be seen the original Woolworths, on the junction of Brixton Road and Atlantic Road.

zebra-cab-brixton.jpg

More info anyone?

I wondered if the carriage has pneumatic tyres, or any kind of rubberised track - might be a prety rickety journey given the absence of tarmac. Does the absence of tarmac help pin it down?

The number plate is the only other thing I can see.

My guess from no where would be 1924 . . .

Looks like grass

walter-rothschild-zebra-cart_14226_1.jpg

This doesn't look like a busy, main road

zebra-ride3.jpg

Maybe he was too scared to drive on big London roads himself :D

Remember when you cross the road to make sure there isn't a zebra crossing in front of you pulling a carriage.

EDITED TO ADD: The image in the OP also turns up on the site linked to below. Its heading is London in 1900. It is the second image as you scroll down.l
They were invented by then, but I would have thought that motor cars would be a rare sight on the streets in 1900.

In fact that date must be wrong because electrified trams didn't arrive in Brixton until 1904.

They were invented by then, but I would have thought that motor cars would be a rare sight on the streets in 1900.

In fact that date must be wrong because electrified trams didn't arrive in Brixton until 1904.

and from your photos, here's the rebuilding of the lines in 1907

brixton-trams-05.jpg

and in 1910

brixton-trams-03.jpg

and the sign shows on both bridges

and the sign shows on both bridges
The Quin and Axtens sign was on the railway bridge for decades - sometimes changing year by year - so it's not much help in dating the photo.

Nothing there in 1905 though and it looks like the bridge may have been replaced then.

brixtonroad42.jpg

Back
Top Bottom