Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What now for Woolworths?

se5

According to the papers today, eg http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/nov/19/woolworths-highstreetretailers, the Woolworths chain is apparently going to be sold for £1.

This will presumably result in many of the shops being sold off to make the chain profitable. So anyone have any ideas or like to speculate about which shops will be sold or there future uses?

Already the Edgware Road and Clapham Junction shops are being converted into Waitrose and Woolies has lots of prime high street locations

Islington is also in the process of being Waitrosed. I was under the impression that as a high st. store they would disappear completely and intended to concentrate on online sales only.

Oh dear, I really hope Woolies doesn't disappear :(
I love it, it's a great place for all sorts of items, especially household.

Not to mention it's the only place I can seem to get knickers that fit me - from the Ladybird girls range :D

It will be a shame to see it go if it does but the business model just has too much supermarket/online competition.

I think the Archway one is doomed. Its got that, shambolic staff don't give a shit feeling to it, the Hackney one might just about survive.

I think the Archway one is doomed. Its got that, shambolic staff don't give a shit feeling to it, the Hackney one might just about survive.

I used to use the Archway branch when I lived nearby, I always found the staff fine.

It was sad that they lost two of their ex staff members to tragic circumstances a few years ago - one on the tube bombings and the other was the guy who was killed on a bus for standing up against a youth who was throwing chips.

the one on brixton road used to be great, i would always get my stationary there, birthday cards, etc. Now i hardly ever go...it kind of lost its charm :(

Woolies is a £ shop now then? :cool:

It is ironical that Woolworths should be sold for one pound while the Pound Shops which are the same idea as Woolworth's original store - nothing more than sixpence in the UK and ten cents in the USA are thriving. In terms of the modern model of Woolworths they seem to have been ousted by Wilkinsons in my town. Sad days.

I used to use the Archway branch when I lived nearby, I always found the staff fine.

It was sad that they lost two of their ex staff members to tragic circumstances a few years ago - one on the tube bombings and the other was the guy who was killed on a bus for standing up against a youth who was throwing chips.

Its not that the staff are bad, its just got that unkempt, uncared for feel to it. Once you know its all going to pot nobody really gives a shit, just waiting for the final word before they take home loads of stock and try to get another job.

Its not that the staff are bad, its just got that unkempt, uncared for feel to it. Once you know its all going to pot nobody really gives a shit, just waiting for the final word before they take home loads of stock and try to get another job.

yes, sorry, I see what you mean.
I do feel sorry for the staff there, I was probably more familiar with them than any of the other London Woolies branches as I used it for seven years. Hope they all manage to get something else if it does close :(

I use the Archway one and the ones in Crouch End and Muswell Hill. I love going to Woolies and the adventure of never knowing what I might find. Wooworths is a vital part of community life and a civilising influence and a nice step back in time.

I didn't like the Islington one because I thought the people who shopped in it were a bit rough and it had an unpleasant feel to it. Also the tills were located at an akward spot.

Damn. I love Woolies. The one in Bethnal Green is always busy and well-stocked, too. Hope that doesn't become a bloody Waitrose.

Isn't it odd how, in an economic downturn, a value goods store like Woolies is being bought out by a luxury food store?

I use the Archway one and the ones in Crouch End and Muswell Hill. I love going to Woolies and the adventure of never knowing what I might find. Wooworths is a vital part of community life and a civilising influence and a nice step back in time.

I didn't like the Islington one because I thought the people who shopped in it were a bit rough and it had an unpleasant feel to it. Also the tills were located at an akward spot.

Yes, I know what you mean about Islington - I have been in there. I used the Crouch End and Muswell Hill ones too before I moved and sometimes Camden or Kentish Town. I go to Stokey or Hackney now.
When I was a child my Nan used to take me into the one in Evesham (Worcestershire) and I always used to get a small toy or sweets - happy memories:)

I know it sounds a bit sad but I will be gutted if it's the end of Woolies :(
I've bought so many of my household items from them recently - good value for money!

You know, I'm thinking ..... maybe I should buy them up for £1 :D

I go to Stokey or Hackney now.

Do you remember when some of the Woolies went through a strange transformation a few years back? Some of them, including the Hackney one were turned into some kind of Superdrug place - didn't work out and very quickly they were put right. Hope the Hackney one survives but like I said earlier - I have a feeling there'll be no more high street Woolies soon

Do you remember when some of the Woolies went through a strange transformation a few years back? Some of them, including the Hackney one were turned into some kind of Superdrug place - didn't work out and very quickly they were put right. Hope the Hackney one survives but like I said earlier - I have a feeling there'll be no more high street Woolies soon

No, I don't remember that - I've only been in the borough for a year.
Now you mention it though, I seem to remember the Crouch End one having a Superdrug section for a while?

Now you mention it though, I seem to remember the Crouch End one having a Superdrug section for a while?

Yeah - that was it - the stores were made cold and clinical looking (only some of them were transformed) and they stopped selling all the usual tat and went for food and stuff - very strange - didn't last anyway :)

Yes they were changed to "Woothworths General Store" with a pharmacy and open till 11pm. There were two in Brixton and Streatham.

I find with Wollies they are a jack of all trade, master of none type of place. Their DVDs and games are expensive too.

I use the Archway one and the ones in Crouch End and Muswell Hill.

I was at the Crouch End one today and there were mad scenes. I hadn't realised it was the latest place to bring your buggys and young kids. It was like going to the playground on your day out.:mad::mad:

Bought myself some maltesers. Yum :cool:

Back
Top Bottom