The Loughborough connection with Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 6, 2007.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

'Scuse the cut and paste but this text is only available as a PDF and I know some peeps hate reading those, so I've copied it and reformatted it.

BusLanes and Smick like this.
  2. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Very interesting stuff - i'd often wondered about the connection. I can now rest easy on the Thameslink every morning :)

3. editor

Could this be the Loughborough House (the "superior academy for young gentlemen") referred to? It's got 3 storeys and there's no mistaking the name.

If so - blimey, it's hit rock bottom!

[​IMG]

BusLanes likes this.
  4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

From
    http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49769
    the original house stood
    which is here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...,-0.10672&spn=0.003328,0.006652&t=h&z=17&om=1
    and then
    So, no, I don't think that's it :)

BusLanes likes this.
  5. editor

heers for that.

Funny thing is that the 'new' Loughborough House looks like it was built in the early 19th century/very early Victorian, so maybe it snaffled the name as soon as the old building was demolished?

6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

10 bays? I take it that is bay windows?

7. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Where was East Brixton Station?
    Am trying to visualise where it might be but failing!

I've seen Editor mention it a few times.

8. editor

[​IMG]

East Brixton Station was located on the east side of Barrington Road, 30m north of its junction with Coldharbour Lane, Brixton.

http://www.urban75.org/railway/east-brixton.html
    Map: http://tinyurl.com/cqlsb

BusLanes likes this.
  9. netbob

netbob Well-Known Member

great stuff !

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

East Brixton is interesting. If they ever open a brixton station for the ELL extension, that's where it'll have to go I suppose.

11. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Interesting stuff, didn't know about the other train station.
    Last time I looked at the Museum of London's map collection I photocopied all their maps of the area. I seem to remember Loughborough House being at Fiveways, not on Coldharbour Lane. I think it was about where the building with the White Hart on it is (junction of Lilford Road and Loughborough Road.
    Will have a look for the maps, but have a feeling they disappeared in a period of upheaval.

12. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

I've always wondered about the loughborough connection. ta. :)

13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

14. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Now that would have been interesting had it actually happened. A very different Brixton we might have had had it come to pass. It could have turned Coldharbour Lane into a place worthy of it's name!

Though in the back of my mind I can see a wide, sewage and rubbish filled ditch that was eventually culverted much like the reality today.

On the other hand, a working waterway that survived until the 1940's, and then turned into a stagnant, rubbish filled ditch that was filled in the sixties.

Or a surviving canal like the branch of the Grand Union at Brentford off the Thames.

One can but dream.

15. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

[old] Loughborough House

[​IMG]
    bay= originally meant a section of a building between a column or buttress. However, if a larger building has a regular pattern of windows one above the other, it is often used to mean to refer to each section of the building regardless of whether there are pillars between - so Loughbrough House gets described as a ten bay building as it was a building with ten sets of windows across the width of the front.

16. editor

I'm only half remembering this, but I'm sure I heard it was highly unlikely to be rebuilt because the station is on a slope or something.

17. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Pity he didn't get the navigable Effra plan up and running, Brixton couldve bee the Venice of South London!!!!!

18. calno4

calno4 Well-Known Member

It might not have been Loughborough House the "superior academy for young gentlemen" but I do think it was a school back in the late 1860´s.
    This is from South London Chronicles 13th Oct 1866
    South London Chronicle 13 October 1866 Loughborough House.JPG

loughborough house South London Press 15 September 1866.JPG
    15th Sept 1866 South London Chronicle

The Charles Hole mentioned appears on the 1871 census at Loughborough House, with his family and several boarders listed as scholars
    1871 census charles hole.JPG
    Chandos Terrace mentioned on this census I think no longer exists but this ad from 22 Aug 1868 describes it as being opposite the Crown Tavern Pub
    chandos terrace crown pub South London Press 22 August 1868.JPG

This from 31 October 1868 - South London Press describes a large hall of the school, am thinking that might be the big hall at the back maybe, Loughborough Hall.
    loughborough house  hall dancing 31 October 1868 - South London Press.JPG

Smick, trabuquera, CH1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. calno4

calno4 Well-Known Member

Here it is for sale in 1882
    Loughborough House for sale London Standard 09 May 1882.JPG
    London Standard 9th May 1882

trabuquera and CH1 like this.
  20. calno4

calno4 Well-Known Member

Another mention of it here in 1871
    loughborough house school demise Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper August 13, 1871.JPG
    Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper August 13, 1871

trabuquera, CH1 and editor like this.
  21. calno4

calno4 Well-Known Member

The 1871 census doesnt list its number in Coldharbour Lane but if it was No 202 then its a coffee house in 1891

1901 202 coldharbour lane.JPG

I like to think it might have been this one..
    loughborough junction coffee tavern Leicester Chronicle 13 February 1897.JPG

1911 census shows No 202 to be a Refreshment House
    1911 202 coldharbour lane.JPG

Re the previous entry to this in 1911, its listed as 17 rooms and they are Milliners 196/200 Coldharbour Lane. No 204 is a gas engineer, and a confectioner and an assistant.

I missed out 1881, then it was an upholsterer
    1881 202 coldharbour lane.JPG

Maybe connected to this ad London Evening Standard 17 November 1881, so he didnt last long there
    London Evening Standard 17 November 1881 202 coldharbour lane.JPG

trabuquera, CH1 and boohoo like this.
  22. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

All of Coldharbour Lane was terraces then. Chichester Terrace is still clearly and manically marked same side two blocks towards Camberwell.
    [​IMG]
    I expect Chandos Terrace is the row of shops of earlier design than Chichester Terrace opposite the Co-op. The Co-op was formerly the Crown public house, and was trading as the Crown as recently as 1986 after which is unsuccessfully rebranded as "The Mucky Duck".

If I am right Chandos Terrace starts on the corner of Flaxman Road with the cycle shop and ends with the Kashmir grocers on the corner of Pomfret Road. It is similar in design to the terrace of shops opposite the Barrier Block, and I would date it to the 1850s/early 1860s. Maybe always shops too - your 1868 press cutting points to that. The fish & poultry could have been either end of the terrace.

The convention was to number sequentially starting from the main road. On the Brixton side of Lougborough Road the low numbers would definitely be at the Brixton end of the terrace. Not sure about Chandos terrace numbering - the current post code is SE5 (Camberwell) although the advert in your cutting describes the location as Brixton. That suggests to me that probably the Fish & Poultry shop was where the cycle shop now is. When the terrace was orginally built the only railway line was probably the loop line from Victoria to Holborn via "Loughborough Road" station, so the area would have been more Brixton oriented than now. I am no expert on Camberwell, but Camberwell at that time is likely to have been more focussed on St Giles Church than Camberwell Green - and much more rural.
    13008744.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  23. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos