Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the Guyanese roti caravan on Brixton Station Road

matt m

just finished a pumpkin and spinach roti with chili sauce for £2.50. Mmmmmmmmm.

Can't believe I've never got lunchtime takeaway from there before. It's my new best friend.

Are you people blind or something? How can you walk past something that has: a) The Guyanese flag on and B) Sells roti

;)

I'm joshing of course, but I've been raving about that place for a while. Rotis are amongst the world's finest lunch foods - I'm pretty sure we're about to see the idea take off as a bigger national concept too, arguably because some Cambridge grad city boys have apparently launched a roti chain to some press acclaim recently.

The woman in the wagon makes fine pholourie and proper article black pudding too, generally on Saturdays only. And she knows the way of the wiri wiri pepper.

That roti place in Clapham is bloody fine too.

you mean Roti Jouba, opposite Clapham North? Yeah, it's great. Also the one on the corner of Croxted Road in Herne Hill, Trini Shack. Yum.

There used to be a place that did very good rotis at the bottom of Dulwich Road, back in the 90s - anyone else remember it? It was a cafe or restaurant rather than a wagon.

Their rotis were possibly the best takeaway food I've ever had.

Rotis are amongst the world's finest lunch foods - I'm pretty sure we're about to see the idea take off as a bigger national concept too, arguably because some Cambridge grad city boys have apparently launched a roti chain to some press acclaim recently.

Interesting. I'm a burrito fan and thought that Mexican food would have taken off over here but alas two decades of horrible sub-sub-El Paso fare served in "cantinas" that are only there to flog you more tequila shots and bottles of Corona has put paid to that idea.

Go roti!!

Ach, I like a good burrito too and things have really improved of late in the UK - near work or home now I'm within range of Tortilla, Wahaca, Luardos and El Panzon, all of whom do food far beyond the Old El Paso level. I have a bit of a burrito-based lunch habit all too often if I'm honest.

That said, I think the roti's perhaps got more potential and a better claim to the 'best flatbread parcel wrapped round something' global prize. Whereas the burrito is something of a Texmex invention, rarely seen in its supposed home country of Mexico - where the taco is really the nation's top street food - the roti actually is the default snack food of Guyana, Trinidad and a decent chunk of the Indian subcontinent. Burritos of rice, beans and cheese may be more familiar to Brits at the moment, but there's no reason why combos of of curried pumpkin, meat or other veg, stuffed in a variety of roti from dhalpuri to potato and coriander filled, laden with chutneys, mango achars and sours can't provide a similarly marketable range of options.

I reckon there's more than enough room for both. Its got to be better than another prawn and lettuce, sorry I mean crayfish and rocket, baguette seller or gourmet burger bar in the wider scheme of things.

Here's the new, much-acclaimed roti concept restaurant by the way - Moolis.

In Frith Street only currently, but they're talking up the potential of a roll-out. Haven't been admittedly, but it sure looks tempting

Here's the new, much-acclaimed roti concept restaurant by the way - Moolis.

In Frith Street only currently, but they're talking up the potential of a roll-out. Haven't been admittedly, but it sure looks tempting

I've been there - it was very nice and pretty spicy. More Indian than Guyanese though. I also like D's Roti Hut in Brixton.

Totally, but I don't think anyone's got a better claim on the roti than India tbh. The West Indian rotis are basically the same - it's just that they've spread beyond the large Indian communities of Guyana and Trinidad to more of a national dish status. Although they've adapted slightly for local tastes and produce, things like the goat and pumpkin/potato rotis in Moolis don't seem far off the same combos popular in the Windies. Be rude to quibble really - I'm more than pleased to see this take on one of my favourite foods.

Ach, I like a good burrito too and things have really improved of late in the UK - near work or home now I'm within range of Tortilla, Wahaca, Luardos and El Panzon, all of whom do food far beyond the Old El Paso level. I have a bit of a burrito-based lunch habit all too often if I'm honest.

That said, I think the roti's perhaps got more potential and a better claim to the 'best flatbread parcel wrapped round something' global prize. Whereas the burrito is something of a Texmex invention, rarely seen in its supposed home country of Mexico - where the taco is really the nation's top street food - the roti actually is the default snack food of Guyana, Trinidad and a decent chunk of the Indian subcontinent. Burritos of rice, beans and cheese may be more familiar to Brits at the moment, but there's no reason why combos of of curried pumpkin, meat or other veg, stuffed in a variety of roti from dhalpuri to potato and coriander filled, laden with chutneys, mango achars and sours can't provide a similarly marketable range of options.

I reckon there's more than enough room for both. Its got to be better than another prawn and lettuce, sorry I mean crayfish and rocket, baguette seller or gourmet burger bar in the wider scheme of things.

Where are Tortilla, Wahaca and Luardos?

And do rotis adapt to breakfast? I used to go to Texas a lot, mostly Austin, and breakfast (soft) tacos were my favourite meal. I found a pic from my favourite little place in Austin. Breakfast yum: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/profile_photos/519150?photo_id=203072

As a veggie I amabit disappointed that Moolis veggieoptions are asparagus or paneer - does not really appeal. What about the chick peas and aloo?? Roti Joupa do the most fantastic 'doubles'. they are a tase sensation and the sorrel is divine.

Forgot to say I agree with the original comment. the Roti on station rd is lovely and good value for money. I have converted many a colleague on entering the office with my supplies. It is amazing how many people walk past abd don't take notice. I also think some people are a bit wary of buying if its not from a 'proper' shop. In my expereince the best food is found in places like the Guaynese roti.

Where are Tortilla, Wahaca and Luardos?

And do rotis adapt to breakfast? I used to go to Texas a lot, mostly Austin, and breakfast (soft) tacos were my favourite meal. I found a pic from my favourite little place in Austin. Breakfast yum: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/profile_photos/519150?photo_id=203072

The branch of Tortilla I go to is in Canary Wharf Station (DLR) with Wahaca not too far away. There are other branches for both chains - have a bit of a web gander. Luardo's is a burrito wagon in Whitecross St, near enough to the other office in Old St. All of them are more than pleasant enough - Tortilla's a slick production machine, Wahaca's better on Tacos and other bites, Luardos is moist and often hotter than the rest.

As for Rotis for breakfast, bear in mind that there's not the same breakfast tradition in the Windies as a rule. All food's more prone to being anytime food, from fry fish to the pumpkin roti that's a popular picnic/lunchbox staple. Sure there's something adaptable, but there's nothing comparable to a breakfast burrito or morning taco menu really. Bakes (fried dough) - are a more popular breakfast option really, and puri's not uncommon either. I think Trinis' have got more of a breakfast roti option - aubergine, tomato and potato if I remember correctly

For me Guyanese Roti and Dal Puris are the best. It's just a shame there are no Guyanese restaurants in London. The only one I used to know was the one in Fernhead Rd W9, but it's closed down. I cannot cook it for myself so cannot wait to vist the Roti van in Brixton mentioned above. Shame it's a bit far from me. I'd gladly pay someone to either teach me or cook me batches now and again that I could collect. I am in Lee near Blackheath. I am so hungry just thinking about it!!!!!!!!

By coincidence, I took a photo of it today, around 3pm. It wasn't open, despite the sign!

brixton-photos-sept-2010-08.jpg

I see the Merguez Van is gone too! I was hoping he just went on holidays. I hope he comes back, it's the only place I can find a Merguez sandwich in this town.

I see the Merguez Van is gone too! I was hoping he just went on holidays. I hope he comes back, it's the only place I can find a Merguez sandwich in this town.

There's a good chance he's closed for Ramadan. My guess is he'll be back next week as Ramadan ends tomorrow.

By the way, you should have his butterbean soup in the winter- really warms the cockles.

you mean Roti Jouba, opposite Clapham North? Yeah, it's great. Also the one on the corner of Croxted Road in Herne Hill, Trini Shack. Yum.

I've been to Roti Jouba too and can highly recommend it, I only discovered it a couple of months ago.

I've never eaten at the Merguez van, but it always looks so tempting. On the rare occasions that I'm back in Brixton for lunch it tends to get overlooked in the haste to other trusty faves. I'm sure they'll be back after Ramadan.

I wouldn't read anything much into the roti wagon being closed at 3pm tbh, largely as they seem to have a loose and jazzy interpretation of their own opening hours ime. It's generally just the one likeable lady from New Amsterdam running the place after all. She does make good, almost paratha style roti though - and there's always the other Guyanese eatery in Brixton Village as a standby should the wagon be temporarily closed.

Apparently there was quite a boost to trade when she got the newer blue carawagon.

There used to be a place that did very good rotis at the bottom of Dulwich Road, back in the 90s - anyone else remember it? It was a cafe or restaurant rather than a wagon.

Their rotis were possibly the best takeaway food I've ever had.

I remember that! was it called RotiRoti? and did it replace a v nice restaurant called Bon Temps Roulet, or was it next door? (if the answer to all those is 'no', maybe I don't remeber it after all!)

I remember that! was it called RotiRoti? and did it replace a v nice restaurant called Bon Temps Roulet, or was it next door? (if the answer to all those is 'no', maybe I don't remeber it after all!)

The answer is yes!!! That very one. I thought Bon Ton Roulet, as I thought it was called, & Roti Roti were the same people but could be wrong.

<starts drooling at memories of steaming hot doughy parcel with lovely spicy filling>

I'll check this this guyanese chap out. Though he does always seems closed whenever I pass it.

I think you are right - it was Bon Ton Roulet, and was then replaced by RotiRoti, and is now that photographic studio. And I think that the owner of the photographic studio was a business partner or part owner of both RotiRoti and BTR. I used to buy rotis there until the mid-late 90s I think. They were huge and overflowing with brilliant curry. Those were the days...the Hamilton Arms was still open, Pullens was Restaurant Provencal (and actually French in cuisine) and 3 Monkeys (as was) was a bank!

I've never eaten at the Merguez van, but it always looks so tempting. On the rare occasions that I'm back in Brixton for lunch it tends to get overlooked in the haste to other trusty faves. I'm sure they'll be back after Ramadan.

I wouldn't read anything much into the roti wagon being closed at 3pm tbh, largely as they seem to have a loose and jazzy interpretation of their own opening hours ime. It's generally just the one likeable lady from New Amsterdam running the place after all. She does make good, almost paratha style roti though - and there's always the other Guyanese eatery in Brixton Village as a standby should the wagon be temporarily closed.

Apparently there was quite a boost to trade when she got the newer blue carawagon.

I take it the Guyanese eatery is not as good as the van. Do you know the opening hours?

Those were the days...the Hamilton Arms was still open

Those were indeed the days - the Hamilton was brilliant!

Once went to 3Monkeys for my birthday back in the early-mid 00s and it was disappointing - nice food, but expensive & shite service.

Just returned from the Guyana Roti van in Brixton. Had a chicken roti and it was sooooooo good i bought some more to take home for the evening!

Back
Top Bottom