Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The creeping roll out of facial recognition. Are you for or against?

For or against

• Yes, Its working well in China

• No I am common theif.

• My face is too ugly

Results are only viewable after voting.
Befriend someone who works on the tills?
When I was a student we used to go to the bar at a club my friend worked at, pay for 2 drinks, get given 4 drinks back, hand over a £5 note, get given around £10 in coins as change. After a few rounds of this, we would go to the upstairs bar, say we had just won the fruity and ask for our coins to be changed into notes :D

Edit - probably a lesson about capitalism in there somewhere

Last edited:
When I was a student we used to go to the bar at a club my friend worked at, pay for 2 drinks, get given 4 drinks back, hand over a £5 note, get given around £10 in coins as change. After a few rounds of this, we would go to the upstairs bar, say we had just won the fruity and ask for our coins to be changed into notes :D

Seriously impressive dodge; makes my odd "banana' look a little flaccid by comparison! :D

Bringing back fond memories of the time I worked the bar at Leeds festival there.

The use of facial recognition by the police is ramping up.

Between 2020 and 2022 the Metropolitan Police used live facial recognition nine times. The following year the figure was 23.

Already in 2024 it has been used 67 times, so the direction of travel is clear.

Champions say that misidentifications are rare.

The Metropolitan Police say that around one in every 33,000 people who walk by its cameras is misidentified.

But the error count is much higher once an someone is actually flagged. One in 40 alerts so far this year has been a false positive.

live Facial recognition camera vans are being used on a regular basis in Croydon and I've seen them increasingly at protests in London

Anyone in favour of the widespread use of facial recognition should read George Orwell 1984 which lays out pretty clearly the direction we are going in!

I hadn't realised they were using it so actively until an online discussion I saw some weeks ago where the poor poster had the coppers come in and search her 20-year-old son's room for stolen goods. She couldn't find out anything for some hours until it turned out he'd been arrested for a violent gang-mugging of a guy for his expensive watch and the son had been brought in due to facial recognition flagging him. I did wonder whether it was made up BS by some internet randomer, but having seen the BBC story it sounds like it was true.

It's going to have a disproportionate impact on people of colour, who it'll be worse at recognising.

Why is it worse at recognising PoC?

Because the training data for older facial recognition algorithms was disproportionately drawn from faces of white people. Then when large tech companies started building next generation facial recognition training data sets with broader representation, so they could offer better algorithms to law enforcement, staff and stakeholders got antsy because facial recognition was oppressive and racist, so many such projects were canned. This means that some algorithms still in use by police forces, at least in the US, are less good at non-white faces, although still pretty effective.

Obviously, if you want FR software that distinguishes people with East Asian heritage brilliantly, you are spoiled for choice.

Why is it worse at recognising PoC?

Plus a lot of commercial camera sensor tech and software is optimised for white and East Asian facial skin tones, because they are the biggest markets and the security market is so much smaller it’s not worth anyone’s while to spend the development money.

Also facial recognition isn’t so good at identifying fraud and insider trading…

This technology is clearly flawed and is always going to make errors. It is also really concerning that it can be used in such a unrestrictrd way. I hope that he gets support to take this as far as possible.

I am most definitely against.

Data sets are flawed and the systems will always reflect the same prejudice as the people who programme it. rubbish in rubbish out.

I don't want to live in a society where the police arrest people because some computer says so. Its just stop and search electronically boosted.

Back
Top Bottom