Supreme Court Ruling time again

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Yuwipi Woman, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

The Supreme Court is issuing rulings fast and furious right now. There were two in the last 24 hours:

Supreme Court rules for Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case - CNNPolitics

Supreme Court Vacates Ruling on Undocumented Minor’s Abortion

The last election was critical in determining the future of the court. With Trump in office, we're pretty much sunk if he gets to appoint even one more Justice. It's already pretty ugly.

I've heard it said that the 4th most powerful person in the US at the moment is Ruth Bader Ginsberg's personal trainer.

2. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

It's always distressing how once-respected countries descend into madness.

CRI likes this.
  3. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Yup, I suspect there will be a challenge to Roe somewhere on the horizon. :(

I still sometimes scratch my head and can't believe how all three branches of government have become, well, the word that springs to mind is, "infected." All at once. The system was never set up to cope with that. :(

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  4. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Whilst the people are welcoming and friendly, the landscapes fabulous, the culture amazing... I can't say I've ever respected the US in terms of equality, fairness, domestic and/or foreign.

5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

The US system has always had the possibility for this sort of thing built in though. The way people get appointed to the supreme court and the power those people have when they get there is asking for trouble.

NoXion likes this.
  6. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

CRI likes this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

I caught this on the car radio. Knew it was likely to happen sometime, but . . . That's all three branches of government under the control of the Trumpites. They'll never give up power willingly.

Fuck, thats it then. :(

9. TomUS

TomUS non-resident

I'm afraid it'll be back to the back alleys. Ireland takes a step forward and the US continues to roll back the clock.
    Slate’s Use of Your Data

CRI likes this.
  10. Yuwipi Woman

CRI likes this.
  11. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

12. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

And those pesky abolition-of-slavery laws too...

13. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

This is a pretty good summary of what's likely to go. :(

a_chap likes this.
  14. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

The 13th Amendment didn't abolish all slavery. It's still permissible to force people to work without pay as part of punishment for crime. After the civil war, African Americans were often arrested and convicted on spurious grounds to fill the ranks of convict labour gangs the prisons could hire out for money. A version of that still exists.

15. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Supreme court, bought and paid for. :mad:

Tax Returns Identify Dark Money Organization As Source of GOP Supreme Court Attacks

a_chap likes this.
  16. Idris2002

Idris2002 Christmas eve, you know?

Time to end the disastrous American experiment.

NoXion, krtek a houby and a_chap like this.
  17. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

And then what?

18. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Why I Believe President Donald Trump Will Choose a Woman to Kill ‘Roe v. Wade’

19. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Dismantle it, like the USSR, I'm guessing. All empires must crumble, eventually...

On the subject of slavery after the civil war, have you read this? Really fascinating book. There's a PBS doc as well, but the book is far better.

[​IMG]

20. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Well, that didn't exactly work out too well for the former Soviet Union, so . . .

Have you seen this film?

21. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

22. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

23. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser