Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Supreme Court Ruling time again

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
The Supreme Court is issuing rulings fast and furious right now. There were two in the last 24 hours:

Supreme Court rules for Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case - CNNPolitics

Supreme Court Vacates Ruling on Undocumented Minor’s Abortion

The last election was critical in determining the future of the court. With Trump in office, we're pretty much sunk if he gets to appoint even one more Justice. It's already pretty ugly.

I've heard it said that the 4th most powerful person in the US at the moment is Ruth Bader Ginsberg's personal trainer.

It's always distressing how once-respected countries descend into madness.

Reactions: CRI
The Supreme Court is issuing rulings fast and furious right now. There were two in the last 24 hours:

Supreme Court rules for Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case - CNNPolitics

Supreme Court Vacates Ruling on Undocumented Minor’s Abortion

The last election was critical in determining the future of the court. With Trump in office, we're pretty much sunk if he gets to appoint even one more Justice. It's already pretty ugly.

I've heard it said that the 4th most powerful person in the US at the moment is Ruth Bader Ginsberg's personal trainer.
Yup, I suspect there will be a challenge to Roe somewhere on the horizon. :(

I still sometimes scratch my head and can't believe how all three branches of government have become, well, the word that springs to mind is, "infected." All at once. The system was never set up to cope with that. :(

It's always distressing how once-respected countries descend into madness.

The US system has always had the possibility for this sort of thing built in though. The way people get appointed to the supreme court and the power those people have when they get there is asking for trouble.

Stick a fork in US, we're done.

Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire

With the number of voting rights cases coming up, I don't expect to see another free and fair election in my lifetime. This is an example of what we'll see more of:

Seven Ways Alabama Has Made It Harder to Vote

I can't even think about Roe v. Wade...
I caught this on the car radio. Knew it was likely to happen sometime, but . . . That's all three branches of government under the control of the Trumpites. They'll never give up power willingly.

Fuck, thats it then. :(

Stick a fork in US, we're done.

Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire

I can't even think about Roe v. Wade...
I'm afraid it'll be back to the back alleys. Ireland takes a step forward and the US continues to roll back the clock.
Soon, perhaps within the next two years, the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade. It might not admit what it’s doing. It might cloak its reversal in minimalist rhetoric and even pretend to adhere to Roe. But the upshot will be the same. After Donald Trump replaces Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court’s new conservative majority will allow states to outlaw abortion.
Slate’s Use of Your Data

Reactions: CRI
And those pesky abolition-of-slavery laws too...
The 13th Amendment didn't abolish all slavery. It's still permissible to force people to work without pay as part of punishment for crime. After the civil war, African Americans were often arrested and convicted on spurious grounds to fill the ranks of convict labour gangs the prisons could hire out for money. A version of that still exists.

Supreme court, bought and paid for. :mad:

Tax Returns Identify Dark Money Organization As Source of GOP Supreme Court Attacks
The Wellspring Committee, a Virginia-based nonprofit, donated more than $23 million last year to the Judicial Crisis Network, which spent $7 million on advertisements pushing Republican senators to block President Barack Obama’s court pick, Merrick Garland. After the election, the network spent another $10 million to boost President Donald Trump’s pick, Justice Neil Gorsuch.
Wellspring received more than $32 million in donations last year, with $28.5 million coming from a single, anonymous donor. Before 2016, Wellspring had never received more than $13.2 million in annual donations. As a social welfare organization, Wellspring is not required to disclose its donors.

Why I Believe President Donald Trump Will Choose a Woman to Kill ‘Roe v. Wade’

I think there’s a better chance that Trump nominates a woman to cast the deciding vote to overturn Roe, if and when the time comes.

This works in Trump’s favor in several ways. First, he’ll preen about how much he loves women. I can already hear him: “Look at me! I love women so much I just appointed one to replace a man at the Supreme Court! Nobody loves women more than me.”

Second, it’ll put Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), who are both pro-choice, in the position of possibly voting against only the fifth woman ever appointed to the high court. I know Democrats, who need Collins’ and Murkowski’s help to block a Trump nominee, plan to push them from the left. It’s safe to assume they’re getting even more pressure from the right.

And finally, what could be more perfect from an evangelical standpoint than to have a woman kill abortion rights? They’ll even call it feminism.

And then what?

Dismantle it, like the USSR, I'm guessing. All empires must crumble, eventually...

On the subject of slavery after the civil war, have you read this? Really fascinating book. There's a PBS doc as well, but the book is far better.

slaverybyanothername.jpg

Dismantle it, like the USSR, I'm guessing. All empires must crumble, eventually...

On the subject of slavery after the civil war, have you read this? Really fascinating book. There's a PBS doc as well, but the book is far better.

slaverybyanothername.jpg
Well, that didn't exactly work out too well for the former Soviet Union, so . . .

Have you seen this film?

It's Supreme Court ruling season again. In the next two weeks the Supreme Court will issue rulings on nearly 30 cases. Roe v. Wade is already thought to be toast, judging from leaks of a draft opinion. With far-right control of the court, it's likely that most of these will undermine current caselaw that favors the individual citizen and expands the rights of the state and corporations.

This morning they issued a ruling that allows the federal government to keep people fighting extradition in custody indefinitely. I honestly don't know how they can justify this.

June 13 (UPI) -- The Supreme Court ruled against migrants being held in long-term detention in a pair of related decisions issued Monday, striking down their claims of a right to bond hearings.

In the both cases, Johnson vs. Arteaga-Martinez and Garland vs. Aleman Gonzalez, the high court found against non-U.S. citizens seeking to end their lengthy detentions while fighting deportation orders issued against them.

The undocumented migrants in both cases argued they are entitled to bond hearings while being held under Section 1231 of the U.S. Code, also known as the post-removal order statute.

The law allows the government to keep such migrants locked up in detention even as they seek to establish amnesty claims that they will be persecuted or tortured if deported to their native countries. Such cases can take months or even years to decide.

In its 8-1 ruling on Johnson vs. Arteaga-Martinez, the Supreme Court held that the text of Section 1231 does not obligate the government to provide bond hearings after six months of detention in such cases.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote the opinion and was joined in full by seven other justices. Justice Stephen Breyer, meanwhile, concurred with part of the decision and dissented on another part.

Meanwhile, the court ruled against migrants by a 6-3 margin in the related case of Garland vs. Aleman Gonzalez.

The latter case was a consolidated class-action suit in which claimants similarly argued that detainees held under the post-removal order statute are entitled to bond hearings after six months.

The high court's decision also overturned a lower court ruling finding that such detainees were entitled to class-wide injunctive relief.

Most disappointing is that a couple of the liberal justices sided with the majority.

They also limited a previous case called Bivens, which allowed people to sue the government for breach of their constitutional rights.

Rejecting Fourth Amendment excessive-force and First Amendment retaliation damages claims against a U.S. Border Patrol agent by a U.S. citizen for an incident on his property near the U.S.-Canada border, the Supreme Court in Egbert v. Boule narrowed, but did not eliminate, private civil damages actions for constitutional violations by federal officials under Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents. Justice Clarence Thomas wrote for a five-justice majority; Justice Neil Gorsuch concurred in the judgment; Justice Sonia Sotomayor concurred in the judgment in part and dissented in part for Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

Respondent Robert Boule is a U.S. citizen who owns and runs the Smuggler’s Inn, a bed-and-breakfast abutting the Canadian border in Blaine, Washington; drives a car with a SMUGLER license plate; and worked as a confidential informant for the Customs and Border Patrol. Petitioner Erik Egbert, a Border Patrol agent, attempted to speak with a guest, newly arrived from Turkey via New York, outside the inn. When Boule asked Egbert to leave his property and attempted to intervene, Egbert shoved him to the ground; when Boule complained to Egbert’s superiors, Egbert allegedly contacted the Internal Revenue Service and state agencies, resulting in a tax audit and investigations of Boule’s activities.

If there's no consequences for violating civil rights, I don't see why they would bother paying attention to them.

Last edited:
Supreme Court rules against a veteran who was denied disability benefits:

I'm starting to see a pattern here that I didn't expect. Justice Gorsuch has been moving toward the middle since he was appointed. In a couple of cases, he sided with Native American tribes against states in his opinions (He does have a background in law relating to the relationship between the federal government and tribal governments). This is almost unheard of. The only group that has less of a chance to have a ruling in their favor is federal prisoners. However, his dissent didn't change the ultimate denial of benefits in this case.

Last edited:
One of today's decisions limits the ability of workers to bring lawsuits against employers for wage theft and other employment law violations:

In Viking River Cruises, Inc. v. Moriana, the court held that the Federal Arbitration Act—a 1925 law intended to aid enforcement of contracts to arbitrate conflicts between businesses in commercial transactions—preempts a California rule that has allowed workers to hold lawbreaking employers accountable for workplace-wide violations before judges and juries. The decision represents yet another blow to workers from a Supreme Court dominated by corporate interests....

In response to the labor standards underenforcement crisis, California passed the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), the law at the heart of Viking River Cruises. As several amicus briefs in the case highlighted, PAGA was enacted to expand the state’s workplace enforcement capacity and root out workplace-wide violations by allowing workers to seek civil penalties for violations and empowering them to seek penalties for all violations across a workplace in a single lawsuit. The lion’s share of the penalties (75 percent) goes to the state, with the remainder distributed among affected workers.

PAGA gives California workers—and the attorneys who represent them—an important tool to root out workplace-wide violations and deter employer lawbreaking. At the same time, it generates revenue for the state to fund future enforcement work aimed at creating a culture of compliance in industries with historically high rates of violations. One report found that PAGA improved employer compliance, generated over $88 million in revenue in 2019 alone, and funded a significant number of state Labor Department positions and enforcement initiatives.

Unfortunately, corporations had already been working to limit worker lawsuits—the other critical component of workplace law enforcement—through forced arbitration provisions and class action waivers. A series of Supreme Court decisions transformed the 1925 Arbitration Act into a shield that allowed corporations to unilaterally impose arbitration provisions on their employees and shunt workers’ cases into private, secret arbitration—despite ample evidence that Congress did not intend the law to apply to employment contracts. Most egregiously, in 2018 the court’s conservative majority held in Epic Systems v. Lewis that class and collective action waivers included in arbitration provisions were enforceable—meaning that where employers imposed such provisions, they could force workers to proceed one by one.

As a direct result of the Supreme Court’s misreading of the Federal Arbitration Act, forced arbitration provisions and class action waivers are now everywhere, imposed when workers start a job, or at any time after they’ve been hired, but usually buried in fine print. In forced arbitration, there’s no judge or jury. Instead, an arbitrator—typically a corporate lawyer or a former judge—is paid by the hour to adjudicate a claim. Workers lack the protections of being in court, including the right to fully discover information in the employer’s possession and the right to appeal. More than 60 million workers are now subject to forced arbitration provisions, including over 59 percent of Black workers and nearly 58 percent of women workers, and the number is expected to dramatically increase. And because most workers subject to forced arbitration abandon their claims rather than proceed alone in a stacked forum, forced arbitration is helping employers pocket billions in stolen wages.

That brings us to Viking River Cruises. California’s Supreme Court had adopted a rule, in the Iskanian case, recognizing that a worker who brings a PAGA action to root out workplace-wide violations is doing so on behalf of the state. And because the state was not a party to any arbitration provision, the worker’s PAGA claims—for both violations that affected them personally and for workplace-wide violations that affected other workers—could not be sent to arbitration. This allowed PAGA suits to continue, and because PAGA penalties can become quite substantial—for example, $100 per violation per affected worker, per pay period—employers can face hefty costs for violating the law. In that way, PAGA has proved a major deterrent for employer lawbreaking.

That’s why Viking River Cruises (and a host of massive corporations, including Uber) attacked the California rule. They did so by arguing that PAGA actions were nothing but a type of class action. Viking River Cruises insisted that because of the class action waiver it had imposed on the worker in the case, Angie Moriana, it could force her to waive any ability to bring a PAGA claim for violations that affected other workers, both in court and in arbitration, per the court’s 2018 Epic Systems decision. Because any one worker’s PAGA claim will be low, and the worker will only recover 25 percent of it themselves, such a rule would eliminate the incentive for a worker subject to a forced arbitration provision to bring a PAGA action in the first place.

The court’s decision, an 8–1 result, did not go as far as the corporations wanted—in part, perhaps, because it was tempered by the liberal justices. But the decision still deals a serious blow to PAGA as currently enacted and interpreted. Since PAGA claims cannot be split up, the court said California had coerced employers into giving up their right to arbitrate their PAGA claims on an individual, one-by-one basis in arbitrations, and that the FAA therefore preempted California’s rule in Iskanian. As a result, Viking River Cruises can force Moriana, and workers like her, to take their individual PAGA claim into arbitration.

It’s breathtaking to see the court evince such deep concern about the allegedly coercive effects of PAGA for employers while ignoring the coercion inherent when employers impose forced arbitration onto workers as a condition of employment.

The court’s decision is, for now, not all bad news for employees. The majority indicated that while Viking River Cruises could force Moriana to arbitrate her individual claim, it could not completely extinguish the claims she had filed on behalf of the state for violations affecting other workers. However, because the majority determined that PAGA does not allow a worker to continue a suit only for claims affecting other workers, those other claims must be dismissed. But the majority left some room for California to make changes to PAGA. As Justice Sonia Sotomayor elaborated in her concurring opinion, California courts or the state legislature can clarify that workers may still litigate their non-individual claims—that is, their claims for violations affecting other workers—even if their individual PAGA claims are sent to arbitration.

Again, there were more liberal justices in the majority than I would usually expect.

Last edited:
It looks like the Supreme Court is continuing to tear down the separation of church and state:

This is going to shift a lot of public school funds to religious schools. If they paid attention to the writing of the founding fathers, they'd understand that part of the reason for the separation is the keep the government from corrupting religion.

It looks like the Supreme Court is continuing to tear down the separation of church and state:

This is going to shift a lot of public school funds to religious schools. If they paid attention to the writing of the founding fathers, they'd understand that part of the reason for the separation is the keep the government from corrupting religion.
i thought that the justices were mostly foundationists or whatnot, that they wanted to retain the intentions of the framers of the constitution.

Here's an interesting ruling.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't decide in favor of corporate interests. Bayer will likely regret buying Monsanto in the long run. If anyone is interested many of the depositions and other testimony in these cases are on Youtube.

I'm thinking the abortion case decision will come down on Friday. That's where news stories go to die.

Back
Top Bottom