Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stunning Pictures of Durham Cathedral, the best cathedral in the World

Is Durham Cathedral the best cathedral in the World?

• Total voters

farmerbarleymow

I'm Petee's spirit animal
My modestly titled thread belies my love of Durham Cathedral. A mighty, wonderful, and just lovely cathedral in a stunning setting. So this thread is all about stunning and interesting pictures of this marvellous Norman cathedral, and the city of Durham. So more the merrier. :cool:

No competitive 'my cathedral is better than yours' please - this is just to celebrate Durham Cathedral and city of Durham. :)

A lovely winter view from the River Wear.

Durham-Location-SR.jpg

A very summery picture from the same location.

durham_cathedral.jpg

An old photo (I don't know the date).

Durham,%20Durham%20Cathedral%20and%20River.jpg

Interiors. It is magnificently simple in decoration, and its size and brute strength have a beauty painted cathedrals can't really match.

Durham_Cathedral._Interior.jpg

One of the mighty columns.

DurhamInterior_Cap.jpg

The cloisters.

1227a4f752ada52c408c2168f32e3761_large.jpg

And the location is perfect, sitting on top of the nearly-island in the meander of the River Wear.

760_wm.php

The lights on this picture make it look fabulous.

durham-cathedral-at-night.jpg

They need to take all the seats out like they've done with York Minster, makes the space seem that much more overwhelming.

whenever I've been to the miners gala, I'd always end up in the Cathedral listening to the likes of Tony Benn pontificating.

we popped into Durham on the way home from Edinburgh (don't ask..) last month, i'd been before donkies years ago, but it was utterly stunning - it has leapt to the top of the 'places to go for a weekend sans children' list. the indoor market is truly excellent aswell - can't recomend the whole city enough.

I love that but then I'm a sucker some saints and a lot of gold. I like cathedrals to be a bit ott
I remember the school trips there during term time - always tons of kids milling about although we weren't braying or cunts. :D

I made the big mistake of going to the Natural History Museum when I had a spare few hours after a work trip to London a few years back. Didn't realise it was half-term. Fucking hell - it was like a high pitched shrieking competition. Had to fight my way out to regain my sanity. :eek:

If you think Durham is nice check out the Sherburn Road Estate, on every street corner there is a huge pole with a CCTV camera in a cage at the top, it kind of feels like Belfast.

If you think Durham is nice check out the Sherburn Road Estate, on every street corner there is a huge pole with a CCTV camera in a cage at the top, it kind of feels like Belfast.
To be fair it'd be difficult to find a British city without areas like that.

To be fair it'd be difficult to find a British city without areas like that.

Well I have been to pretty much every British city (bar Manchester :D) and never seen anything like it. I kept having to check that I was on a housing estate and not some sprawling prison camp.

Well I have been to pretty much every British city (bar Manchester :D) and never seen anything like it. I kept having to check that I was on a housing estate and not some sprawling prison camp.
County Durham has a lot of wrong 'uns who need watching - just look at me! :D

I know I lived there for three years before fleeing back down south last year.

Will dig out my cathedral pics I suppose

Back
Top Bottom