Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rushcroft road: notice to quit

Not good at all, have many close friends who squat there. :( Was only a matter of time though tbh.

Not good at all, have many close friends who squat there. :( Was only a matter of time though tbh.
yes, he's been worried about this for a while. Hopefully there will be some time for people to get something sorted, it doesn't very easy at this time from what I've heard from other people being evicted in this period.
I'm wondering if they are going to go for an all in one "event" or try staggered evictions, either by flats or by buildings.

Are there still whole squatted buildings on Rushcroft? I thought that the ones on the corner of Electric Lane were the last ones?

Seems like it's most if not all the blocks. I know 3 different people from 3 different blocks that have had letters in the last 48 hours :(

The final sweepdown. Soon we'll be awash with £40 nu-Brixton foodie happenings with no place for what's left of the community.

so its a general letter addressed to the gaff?
feck it then... the 'new laws' don't come into effect until september?

Not sure about the legality of applying them retrospectively (i.e. I don't think it's legal to do people under the new laws if they originally occupied the squat when squatting was legally permissible), either.

Not sure about the legality of applying them retrospectively (i.e. I don't think it's legal to do people under the new laws if they originally occupied the squat when squatting was legally permissible), either.
thats my thinking too....
just concerned if 'they' are addressing individuals rather than the collective.....

thats my thinking too....
just concerned if 'they' are addressing individuals rather than the collective.....

As I haven't really had anything to do with squatting for over 20 years, I'm not sure how current my knowledge is, but you can't issue notice to quit to "the occupier", as far as I remember, it has to be to a specific person or persons.
If they have addressed them to the individuals, there's still the matter of what set of laws they're doing it under, and whether they've bothered to do things properly, though.

Tbh I think they're just cracking down on everyone. The people I spoke to tonight have been there between 6 months and well over 10 years and fairly legit with the council. It seems like a full sweep to me :(

As I haven't really had anything to do with squatting for over 20 years, I'm not sure how current my knowledge is, but you can't issue notice to quit to "the occupier", as far as I remember, it has to be to a specific person or persons.
If they have addressed them to the individuals, there's still the matter of what set of laws they're doing it under, and whether they've bothered to do things properly, though.
still 'legal' though (squatting that is lol)
http://www.squatter.org.uk/

Tbh I think they're just cracking down on everyone. The people I spoke to tonight have been there between 6 months and well over 10 years and fairly legit with the council. It seems like a full sweep to me :(
It's gonna be a big london issue due to the fundalympics... major crackdowns ahead....
:(
It has happened every time the sponsors come to town.....

Are there still whole squatted buildings on Rushcroft? I thought that the ones on the corner of Electric Lane were the last ones?
yep, one of the persons in his block has been there since 1978
:/
Make that 4 now :( Seems like it's all going :(
Thought it might be now I've seen the letter, basically the council is sending some of their people in to see who they "have to" rehome next Monday, then if the deadline is missed bailiffs come into the picture.
They don't need to be afaik.
yep, "persons unknown" "unlawful occupier" whatever the term is

They've had possession orders from the court for (ASAIK) all the individual properties (with persons unknown listed) for several years now.

Hi all,
I am Zoe from the Brixton Blog. We'd like to write a piece on the Rushcroft Rd evictions and it would be great to interview some of the residents affected. I wondered if wemakeyousoundb or nipsla might be able to help us get in contact with someone. Brixton Blog should be covering more of this news where we haven't before. Thanks for the blog post above, editor - it's great.
Zoe

Back
Top Bottom