Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) mission: NASA's Curiosity rover lands on Mars, 6th August 2012

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by editor, Apr 15, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The video is amazing!

cesare likes this.
  2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's an incredible plan. So many possible points of failure! This rover will kick lots of arse. Being nuclear powered and so much bigger than the current rovers, it will cover loads more ground and do much more science. Can't wait!

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It seems incredibly complex, but it if makes it - woohoo!

4. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It does seem very complicated.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lift off this Saturday - fingers crossed!

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15821141

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. Crispy

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Done! I hate the merge function on Xeno. Well fiddly.

9. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

that looks like a well-dodgy plan. so many things could go wrong. lets hope this dude's not involved

[​IMG]

10. Crispy

I found it easier to bump the older thread to get it on the front page along with the newer one, then you can select them both more easily.

11. Crispy

This robot shoots rocks with a laser by the way. We are sending a robot to Mars to shoot rocks with lasers. We are sending a robot to Mars to shoot rocks with lasers.

12. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I really hope they've tested that skycrane somewhere on earth. It looks totally made of fail to me.

13. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Indeed, I have just watched the video and there are so many things that have to work right to get the robot on the ground. Who is to say that it will be over a nice smooth bit of the planet as the video, what precautions have they against coming down on a mountain?

14. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I expect they have checked out the landing site on Google Mars. Yes there really is such a thing.

15. Crispy

Extensive surveys by the three current mars orbiters (NASA's Matrs Odyssey and Reconnaissance Orbiter, and ESA's Mars Express) have been used to select smooth landing sites. By making course adjustments on approach, the actual landing area can be narrowed down very well (an ellipse 20 x 25km). The lander itself has a downwards facing radar that scans the landing site starting pretty high up. Radar is good at differentiating smooth from rough surfaces, so that data will be used to steer the lander down to the smoothest possible surface.

16. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I know they've done stuff about the landing site, but rocket-powered skycranes in sparse atmospheres are hardly a proven technology.

I see here they have tested the crane bit in a lab, but surely they'd want to test the crane hovering over some high-altitiude Peruvian desert laying down payloads.

17. Crispy

It's all built for martian Gs though. You'd have to test one built for earth Gs and then you're testing something else :D

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. Crispy

T minus 1 hour. I have to go out :(

20. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

The final part of the landing system is very similar to the Surveyor moon probes in that it is a rocket to slow descent. The difference being it hand the probe like a parachute rather than being underneath.

Hmmm the AI on the lander though, thats gotta be a fair bit of code.

21. Crispy

22. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

But the waffles will be epic.... :hmm:

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*merged

25. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

We come in peace.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Man oh man, I'm keeping everything crossed for this landing but it seems so ridiculously complicated I'm harbouring a few fears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18933037

27. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

:(

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tonight at 9pm:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01llnb2

29. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

That mad landing procedure in full

The NHM are doing a landing event with webcast and guest speakers, for those hardcore space nerds who fancy being out of bed before dawn next Monday (ie. me)

alsoknownas likes this.
  30. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

Arse. I'll be travelling from about 5 am to the Olympics on Monday morning. I think I'd rather "watch" the landing.

I bet they won't carry the Mars news on the scoreboards. Philistines.

I liked the bit on the Horizon programme when they said every part of the mad-cap descent was the right solution to an engineering problem. If that's the answer, the question must have been pretty majestic.

I can't find a bookie that's offering odds on the landing (but Paddy Power is offering 16/1 against alien life being discovered in 2012).