Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by treefrog, Mar 8, 2014.

1. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

2. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

This is heartbreaking. I can't stop thinking of the families just waiting at Beijing airport.

3. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

I woke up to this on the telly :( Awful for the families waiting for news as Yu says :(

frogwoman and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

It hasn't 'vanished' it's crashed into the sea.
    Terrible news all the same.

5. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

This is terrible :(
    As treefrog says no radio distress signal from the pilots and no automatic location beacon.
    Very worrying.

Greebo likes this.
  6. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Well it has vanished because there is no sign of it.

7. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

Yup. Not trying to be deliberately emotive or suggest anything weird but until there's a confirmed visual or radio signal that's exactly what's happened.

God, I can't imagine how the families must feel. The not knowing and the conflicting reports... :(

8. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

I can see what you're saying Treefrog, but it makes it sound like a magic trick. Vanishes without trace, well it does to me anyway.
    I grew my irrational fear of planes when very young and have never flown. They crash all the time it's just the size of them that change.
    The one in Mozambique recently rarely hit the headlines here....30 something people died in that one.

Mab likes this.
  9. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Cars crash all the time
    Bikes crash all the time

Both those things are more true than of planes.

Ponyutd, Manter, muscovyduck and 5 others like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you haven't read the link in the op have you

11. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

This is just awful worst nightmare realised. Pretty sure every time an incident occurs there's an investigation carried out and some form of recommendation needs to put implemented to make sure it doesn't happen again. Therefore it has got safer as an industry over the years.

It is true that less planes crash than cars and bikes etc but there are a hell of a lot less journeys made on a daily basis than cars. Bound to be a study out there to show how this all even outs.

Would need to get their act together I'm due to fly one of these planes in a couple of weeks not exactly a good reminder of the perils of aviation.

12. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Only the second 777 ever to be lost I think. the only other one (afaik) was the BA Heathrow crash where everyone walked away (miraculously)

Edit, one went down in San Francisco last year

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  13. spanglechick

From wiki (edited to correct formatting mess)

Deaths per billion journeys
    Bus: 4.3
    Rail: 20
    Van: 20
    Car: 40
    Foot: 40
    Water: 90
    Air: 117
    Bicycle: 170
    Motorcycle: 1640
    Space Shuttle: 104,000,000

Deaths per billion hours
    Bus: 11.1
    Rail: 30
    Air: 30.8
    Water: 50
    Van: 60
    Car: 130
    Foot: 220
    Bicycle: 550
    Motorcycle: 4840
    Space Shuttle: 438,000

Deaths per billion kilometres
    Air: 0.05
    Bus: 0.4
    Rail: 0.6
    Van: 1.2
    Water: 2.6
    Car: 3.1
    Space Shuttle: 16.2
    Bicycle: 44.6
    Foot: 54.2
    Motorcycle: 108.9

"The first two statistics are computed for typical travels for respective forms of transport, so they cannot be used directly to compare risks related to different forms of transport in a particular travel "from A to B". For example: according to statistics, a typical flight from Los Angeles to New York will carry a larger risk factor than a typical car travel from home to office. But a car travel from Los Angeles to New York would not be typical. It would be as large as several dozens of typical car travels, and associated risk will be larger as well. Because the journey would take a much longer time, the overall risk associated by making this journey by car will be higher than making the same journey by air, even if each individual hour of car travel can be less risky than an hour of flight.
    <snip>
    Fatalities have been in constant decline since the mid-1990s, while the number of passenger flight-hours has kept increasing since the 1950s."

three sets of stats here. from wikipedia.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Manter, Vintage Paw and Greebo like this.
  14. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

15. 2hats

2hats

Appears to have gone AWOL as it reached cruising altitude (35kft) which might suggest pressure hull failure. Two possibilities (but not the only) being structural breakdown or explosive device built around a barometric switch. Ocean isn't too deep there so recovery of the CVR/FDR could follow soon.

yardbird, Greebo and ice-is-forming like this.
  16. Awful situation.

To just vanish like that, bomb or pilot suicide, or worse in many ways if it just disintegrated.

Must be so terrible for the families waiting for news, knowing that it is unlikely to be good :(

17. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Yes, I was checking this out last night.

Nasty

And for Boeing too, that is a Dreamliner no?

18. weltweit

Well done for finding these spanglechick!

I think this (deaths per journeys) is the most relevant stat. After all it is when you undertake a journey that you undertake risk. So you get in the car for a journey, there is risk, you get on a plane for a journey you take a risk, etc .. based on that Air is quite risky .. more than double as risky as driving!

Greebo likes this.
  19. No, the Dreamliner is the 787.

weltweit likes this.
  20. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

*makes mental note not to travel by space shuttle*

keybored, Arty Drum, Manter and 10 others like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is the plane that's gone missing.

[​IMG]

22. spanglechick

but not as risky as cycling.

23. Oh weltweit if a Dreamliner went down anytime soon that may well be Boeing bankrupted.

24. weltweit

Where are those stats from spanglechick? are they global or USA or ... ??

25. weltweit

Yes, I suppose so. Have you read about the cracks in the wings? Boeing is having troubles with that plane ..

26. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Quartz likes this.
  27. Cracks in wings now? Jeepers. That plane may well bankrupt Boeing without crashing.

28. weltweit

It is in wings being produced by a Japanese partner which are then flown to the US for assembly into planes. Some part was over tightened in a production error.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26492322

29. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm flying in a 777 on Thursday. Luckily I have a stash of vallium.

Mab likes this.
  30. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Given this news maybe doubling your normal dose may be advised.