Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maker pen to completely cover out writing?

blossie33

trailer trash
A request on behalf of my colleague in our Accounts department.

Does anyone know of a type of marker pen that will completely obliterate writing/ type?
For security reasons we have to cover any personal credit/debit card details that people send in to make orders for books. She has tried a black permanent marker but it is still possible to read what is underneath.

I have asked our stationery supplier if he knows of anything but he hasn't come back to me yet.
Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Sorry - the title should have read Marker, not Maker!

Last edited:
If it's for legal purposes you should really make a photocopy of the document after obliterating the details.

There's also redaction tape, which is less messy than tippex.

If it's for legal purposes you should really make a photocopy of the document after obliterating the details.

There's also redaction tape, which is less messy than tippex.

I think it's to do with new regulations on data privacy that you are supposed to comply with.

I think it's to do with new regulations on data privacy that you are supposed to comply with.
It would be a good idea to check exactly what those stipulate, really, then. The PDF that fishfinger posted from the National Archive does show that from their POV, the obliteration methods are just to make the text unreadable on the copy, which is what they then hand over. Ink, tape and so on can be removed or seen through or looked at from the other side of the paper, or you could read the impressions made on the paper... see umpteen spy stories.

The same pen used to write it. Write the alphabet over each letter. Takes a while but certainly works.

Obviously this technique wouldn't be useful in your situation though.

Back
Top Bottom