Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is a revolution possible in the UK?

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Looking at the state of the country, the state of politics with the jostling of populism and the rest could a revolution ever happen in this country?

It is said that Revolution it occurs when the middle classes are badly hurt.

With ordinary people using food banks we could be close.

Where's the line that pushes them over into 'nothing to lose' territory (speaking about the current state in the UK not historically or in another country)?
Food scarcity, arbitrary death at the hands of the state, dehumanisation, fear and terror. Otherwise, people struggle and protest within the existing order. It ain't that bad yet...

Almost all revolutions happen at the point where things have been bad but are starting to improve (there are a couple of exceptions). And there have been many revolutions in the history of the UK.

I think that a revolution is less likely to happen in the UK per se than in some specific UK region or town, following a catastrophic event, or on a supranational scale, possibly with the connivance or at the instigation of a machine consciousness.

Covid taught us that the political class are really bad at handling crises while at the beginning of the pandemic people were organising quite naturally along mutual aid lines before the state took over. It was a good test of how people cope with change and we did surprisingly well even if the government didn't lagging behind popular opinion on lock-downs. British popular small "c" conservativism is a bit of myth I think, certainly going forward.

I don't think it's likely in the near future, but then in January 2020 I didn't think that it becoming illegal to gather in groups of two more people was likely to happen within the next few months. I'm not good at predictions, the world does seem like it's becoming less rather than more stable overall though.

A revolution would require the support, if not active participation, of the majority of the population. Since we're even those of us on the Left politically are riven with division, let alone others, then the chance of a revolution happening is so vanishingly small you'd have more chance of Scotland winning the Euros.

Not as things stand. Brits are too compliant and not keen enough to make a fuss and things would have to get far, far worse than they are.

Nope not happening, I worked in Liverpool from 1980 to 1988 which was most of Thatchers reign and I could rely on being told at least twice a day that things couldn't go on like this and a revolution was imminent.
Yeh but you don't say who was telling you. What might have happened 40 years ago might nor recur today.

Also name one country that has recently had a revolution and it’s turned out quite well. not undercurrent conditions. There is no popular opposition with widespread support to rally around for a start. no widespread alternative I mean. A shit as things are for some people there is food in the shops. I mean it’s insanely naive to even think there are the conditions for a revolution at present. What are you throwing away and gain what. of course things change. But that is not what you’re asking.

Not even a sliver of a chance of it. When people were told to wear masks for no provable reason by the authorities, 99% did. A revolution? 😂

Back
Top Bottom