Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

madolesance

Heard just this weekend that The Hobgoblin is to close and re-open as a chinnese restaurant/ caelidh bar. Is this going to mean the end of another Brixton public house.

I've never been in the place, but I'm intrigued at the thought of a Chinese restaurant and ceilidh in one place :confused: :D

Really hope not. Don't go there so much these days but have had some great nights out in there over the years.

The pub's huge and seems to be quite a weird location for a Chinese restaurant. What the hell's a ceilidh bar?

Lambeth website said:
Server Application Unavailable
It appears the Lambeth webserver is currently down, but it may be worth looking for a licensing application in the morning.

lang rabbie said:
They have a website already:

Oh... my... God!:oops:

Can I claim political asylum with some Welsh Brixtonians:D
my god!:eek:

i 've been to two ceilidhs in the last week, but that was in the Hebrides, and tbh, there aint much else going on out there (except rain. and midges.:mad:). Why on earth do they imagine people are going to want to experience this often enough to make it financially viable?:confused:

it's not like you can go for a drink with mates regardless - this kind of music is pretty full-on.

It's an, er, brave venture.

I wonder what made them think "Hey, this formula works in Inverness, it's bound to work in Brixton!"

There are lots of ceilidh bands. However there are not that many ceilidh bands based in London I shouldn't think, not enough to have fresh acts on all the time anyway. What are they going to do, ship them all down from Inverness? Cos that's not going to be cheap! Either that or have the same bands on over and over and over (most of whom won't be Scottish anyway).

The mind just boggles really.

I've been to a few ceilidhs, and enjoyed them. However, they were in Fife and unaccompanied by crispy shredded beef. The mind truly boggles...

To think that, back in the early eighties was the young Commie drinker:(

It amused me that as The George Canning it was named after an Eton and Christchurch educated son of an Irishman who was also a Conservative PM:D

But then I don't suppose the residents of Canning Town realised they had such a dangerous lefty for their eponymous little domain.

A Ceilidh boozer? with Chinese attachments.

Reckon Jackie Leven will play

http://www.jackieleven.com/

He likes a nosh-up.

It's just bizarre. I have fond memories of drinking in the Canning, as well as doing a New Year's Eve party there in 2001. In fact, this means that all the pubs I used to drink in in the Nineties - the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Canning/Hobgoblin, George IV, Landor - have been made over or demolished.

Still. At least it's being replaced by something suitably mental. A Scottish/Chinese folk bar - the mind doesn't just boggle, it reels...! We'll have to have an Urban outing.

:D

This is probably the funniest thing I have read/seen all week! Since the Two Woodcocks shut down the Hobgob is my local so I`m quite interested.

I can`t quite imagine it myself.. but I`ll definitely be giving it a go... last time I danced at a ceilidh it was at a mate`s festival wedding and it was brilliant!

Still though... how very odd!

Can`t believe they`re already selling tshirts for the place?!?!

Shocking news.

That used to be my drinking hole from the mid 80s after the White Horse shut. Would go there and then on to Mingles.

Actually I am too.... if it wasn:t for the website...

Hootananny
Inverness and.......

Brixton!!!!​
:D :D :D

Unless someone has spent a lot of time mocking up that website - which would be genius.... :D

I went to University in Wales, they're actually depressingly common. A bit like an unfortunate version of the 'Come on Eileen' section of the local pissed-up disco, only extended for hours and given dubious Celtic schtick.

Needless to say I'm gutted for the pub. I can't see this lasting more than a few months.

:(

I don`t think anyone thinks that ceilidhs are unusual in themselves... it`s the combo of Chinese, Ceilidh and Hobgoblin that`s a bit tough to get my head around... :D

Calva dosser said:
It amused me that as The George Canning it was named after an Eton and Christchurch educated son of an Irishman who was also a Conservative PM:D
oi! thats my great great great great great great uncle you're talking about :mad:

tarannau said:
I went to University in Wales, they're actually depressingly common. :(

I also went to University in Wales and didn`t come across any ceilidhs at all.. what with them not being a Welsh thing per se. Were they some kind of studenty piss up cheap beer type thing? :confused: To be fair to this one.. it looks like they have some good bands playing ...

gaijingirl said:
I also went to University in Wales and didn`t come across any ceilidhs at all.. what with them not being a Welsh thing per se. Were they some kind of studenty piss up cheap beer type thing? :confused: To be fair to this one.. it looks like they have some good bands playing ...

Eh? A twnpath is a Welsh Celidh - very common in West Wales at least. Usual bad dancing, drinking and faux heritage night affairs.

tarannau said:
Eh? A twnpath is a Welsh Celidh - very common in West Wales at least. Usual bad dancing, drinking and faux heritage night affairs.

If you mean a twmpath... it`s similar.. but not the same... as I understand it. To be fair I wasn`t way out West though.. and by your reasoning a barn dance is an English ceilidh.. in fact I`m just heading off to a Japanese ceilidh now... :D

eta... I guess barn dances, ceilidhs, twmpaths etc etc are all similar type affairs..

except this one will be a Chinese ceilidh!

Christ, you should know as well as I do that the the Welsh assimilate anything into ersatz heritage mode given a chance. The whole celtic connection means that 'celidhs' are a common experience in that part of the world, along with other fine and upstanding Welsh events, like Line Dancing and Country & Western. It's the West innit...

:)

tarannau said:
Christ, you should know as well as I do that the the Welsh assimilate anything into ersatz heritage mode given a chance. The whole celtic connection means that 'celidhs' are a common experience in that part of the world, along with other fine and upstanding Welsh events, like Line Dancing and Country & Western. It's the West innit...

:)

ok

Back
Top Bottom