Brixton steam train alert and rail related chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Jul 28, 2011.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

[​IMG]

There will be a steam train passing through Brixton today - firstly at 11.10 and then returning at 19.20. It'll be on the higher level bridge - ie not the one that the train station is on.

2. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I predict that I will miss this.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just saw it go by - it was a black Britannia 5 loco with a mixed set of carriages. It quite makes my morning to hear a steam train puffing by :)

(*edit to put in correct loco)

4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Pics?

5. teuchter

Disappointing lack of steam/smoke as it passed my place. It was rattling along at a good speed though.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bit of a poor show as I couldn't find my memory card in time, but here's the thing heading off into the distance.

Attached Files:

• del.jpg
      del.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Janh

Janh signs might be omens

There's something to be said for the colour of those green carriages, they merge into the urban scene quite well imo.

8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Thanks for the photo - loco right behind my house there. Couldn't have seen too much had I known in time - the railway viaduct towers over the houses. Tonight I'm at the Proms so can't catch it then either. Shucks!

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

GWR chocolate and cream, ftw.

[​IMG]

10. whitedove

whitedove Active Member

How lovely.would have liked to have been on there .

11. teuchter

Saw it coming back through again, half an hour or so ago.

12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Green is right for South London and the coast - however , nothing beats GWR chocolate and cream .......

13. miss.w

miss.w Miscellaneous

*geek alert* anyone know which train it was? We have a steam railway nearby and I always have to stop and watch it pass, there's something amazing about them

14. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

It appears to have been the Cathedrals Express, which was scheduled to have the BR Class 7 Britannia making the run today, but the company concerned do use a Black Five 44932 which does the trip as well. Sadly I didnt see it today, so I have no idea which it was (though ed's picture looks like Britannia, from the deflectors just visible at the front of the engine).

edit: it was Britannia, there are pictures of its run today on the link provided under its name

15. miss.w

miss.w Miscellaneous

Thank you! My inner geek is satisfied! X

16. teuchter

Yup it was 70000 Britannia.

17. teuchter

Steam train tomorrow (Weds 28th).

It'll be Tangmere taking the 'Sussex Belle' from Victoria to Hastings and back.

Victoria 1044, passing Brixton 1052 then Denmark Hill 1055 (so not via Herne Hill - this means that it'll probably be on the high level line, not the one that goes through Brixton station).

Then passing Brixton 1606 on the way back.

Janh likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Cheers for the update!

19. teuchter

Should be a good day for photos tomorrow.

20. Janh

Where would you recommend for the best viewing in Brixton?

21. teuchter

Hm, well you could sort of see it from the station but like I said it'll probably go over on the higher level line. You'd see it from the high st but only momentarily as it goes over the bridge. You can see the railway viaduct from coldharbour lane looking across the former cooltan site (ie the bit of wasteland on the Brixton side of the new "Viaduct" apartment building). To get a good view actually I'd suggest going to either Denmark Hill or Clapham High St stations which it'll pass through. Or, if you stand on the platform at Loughborough Junction and look south, you get a good view of the railway viaduct which crosses over the Thameslink line and you'd see it going over that viaduct (not through LJ station itself).

Beware that the times I've posted are the booked times but railtours are liable to running late (or early). It'll probably be on time on the outward journey but less certain for the return.

Janh likes this.
  22. teuchter

Here's the sort of view you'd get from Brixton Station...

23. boohoo

boohoo No.

Best view is from the swimming pool in the rec!:D

24. teuchter

Good point!

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I should have a commanding view, and now that I've been forewarned I shouldn't end up doing my usual trick of hearing the train approaching and then scrambling to find my camera in time.

26. boohoo

boohoo No.

I see the trains regularly on my way into work. My favourite is the dominion of new Zealand. Makes summer weeks at work very exciting!

27. teuchter

What a lot of black smoke! I could see it coming from miles away.

28. Janh

29. teuchter

Where did you take that from?

30. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

We get these all the time round these parts :cool: