Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton steam train alert and rail related chat

teuchter

je suis teuchter
train.jpg

There will be a steam train passing through Brixton today - firstly at 11.10 and then returning at 19.20. It'll be on the higher level bridge - ie not the one that the train station is on.

I just saw it go by - it was a black Britannia 5 loco with a mixed set of carriages. It quite makes my morning to hear a steam train puffing by :)

(*edit to put in correct loco)

Disappointing lack of steam/smoke as it passed my place. It was rattling along at a good speed though.

There's something to be said for the colour of those green carriages, they merge into the urban scene quite well imo.

Thanks for the photo - loco right behind my house there. Couldn't have seen too much had I known in time - the railway viaduct towers over the houses. Tonight I'm at the Proms so can't catch it then either. Shucks!

*geek alert* anyone know which train it was? We have a steam railway nearby and I always have to stop and watch it pass, there's something amazing about them

*geek alert* anyone know which train it was? We have a steam railway nearby and I always have to stop and watch it pass, there's something amazing about them

It appears to have been the Cathedrals Express, which was scheduled to have the BR Class 7 Britannia making the run today, but the company concerned do use a Black Five 44932 which does the trip as well. Sadly I didnt see it today, so I have no idea which it was (though ed's picture looks like Britannia, from the deflectors just visible at the front of the engine).

edit: it was Britannia, there are pictures of its run today on the link provided under its name

It appears to have been the Cathedrals Express, which was scheduled to have the BR Class 7 Britannia making the run today, but the company concerned do use a Black Five 44932 which does the trip as well. Sadly I didnt see it today, so I have no idea which it was (though ed's picture looks like Britannia, from the deflectors just visible at the front of the engine).

edit: it was Britannia, there are pictures of its run today on the link provided under its name

Thank you! My inner geek is satisfied! X

Steam train tomorrow (Weds 28th).

It'll be Tangmere taking the 'Sussex Belle' from Victoria to Hastings and back.

Victoria 1044, passing Brixton 1052 then Denmark Hill 1055 (so not via Herne Hill - this means that it'll probably be on the high level line, not the one that goes through Brixton station).

Then passing Brixton 1606 on the way back.

Where would you recommend for the best viewing in Brixton?
Hm, well you could sort of see it from the station but like I said it'll probably go over on the higher level line. You'd see it from the high st but only momentarily as it goes over the bridge. You can see the railway viaduct from coldharbour lane looking across the former cooltan site (ie the bit of wasteland on the Brixton side of the new "Viaduct" apartment building). To get a good view actually I'd suggest going to either Denmark Hill or Clapham High St stations which it'll pass through. Or, if you stand on the platform at Loughborough Junction and look south, you get a good view of the railway viaduct which crosses over the Thameslink line and you'd see it going over that viaduct (not through LJ station itself).

Beware that the times I've posted are the booked times but railtours are liable to running late (or early). It'll probably be on time on the outward journey but less certain for the return.

I should have a commanding view, and now that I've been forewarned I shouldn't end up doing my usual trick of hearing the train approaching and then scrambling to find my camera in time.

I see the trains regularly on my way into work. My favourite is the dominion of new Zealand. Makes summer weeks at work very exciting!

Back
Top Bottom