1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighton's new i360 tower - a ' giant dildo with a cock-ring'

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 31, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Following on from this feature about the West Pier, this thing is being touted as its successor.

What do we think, urban?

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-brighton-i360-tower-successor-to-the-west-pier/
    http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/

2. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

I can't see it ever being built. Like the Frank Gheary development in Hove, the Marina redevelopment and other big developments that were planned for Brighton during the boom, it'll come to nothing. The town is far too conservative when it comes to development.

emanymton and likesfish like this.
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

seen the site and artists impressions on the hoardings
    does look impressive scale etc but can't help but think it doesn't really fit in, especially on the thing that they're building it on
    just a touristy thing and no way a good enough replacement for the West Pier imo

4. rover07

rover07 has a shining car.

I think its been dropped now. They've gone for a big ferris wheel up the Kemp Town end instead.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their site is still insisting that it has funding and will be opening in 2013. The West Pier trust are (rather bizarrely) giving it their full backing too.

6. paulhackett

paulhackett voiced by strother martin

That was the stand out quote from your West Pier photography thread.. there aren't enough landmarks to merit it, let alone with a 100? person capacity per go?

Wrong location, wrong structure.. wrong, wrong, wrong. The architect in the video is a fool.

7. rover07

I may be wrong. They originally wanted to build a load of shops on the seafront, blocking the views from Brunswick Square.

That didnt get very far then a Ferris wheel was planned but that too was way too big. The sailing club and other small shops there objected.

Now... who knows. I hope it doesnt get built. The area is nice and quiet. Skateboarders and rollerskaters use the tarmaced over swimming pool to practice/dance with their portable soundsystems.

Its a good open space for staging all sorts of events.

Im sure it will make loads of money for the developers but its fuck all use for the people who live here.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wish they'd collared those fucking twats responsible for torching the West Pier straight after it got its £14m renovation grant.

I simply can't think who on earth may have been motivated to do such a thing though.

Meanwhile, here's a pretty picture of the other pier.

[​IMG]

likesfish likes this.
  9. JWH

JWH Fnord Fiesta XR3i

fugly.

10. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

I wish they'd do something about the railings instead - there are big chunks of rusty metal falling off because it's so long since they were painted, and one of the staircases leading to Maderia Drive has been sealed off because it's crumbling away :(

11. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Possibly not the best comparison ever; that's one of the least dildo-looking buildings I've ever seen. And do cock rings usually go round the cock, like someone's been playing hoopla?

spanglechick and Wookey like this.
  12. DJ Squelch

DJ Squelch King Of Insides

There was some speculation that the owners of the other pier were behind it. Others thought developer wanted the old structure out of the way so they could build something new but it's listed status prevented them.
    There were actually 2 arson attacks on the West Pier & one on the Palace pier all within a short period of time. It was all rather suspicious.

Another theory was that a certain notorious Brighton landlord was part of it as he was form for setting fire to squats when he wants some new building put in it's place.

4 February 2003 - fire on Palace pier

28 March 2003 - firedestroys end of West Pier

12 May 2003 - fire destroys remaining part of West pier

http://www.theargus.co.uk/archive/2...ble__Don_t_blame_us_for_West_pier_s_downfall/

13. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

'Vertical pier' my arse. Piers are supposed to go out to sea.

15. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

I think its been a complete & utter waste of time & money & hope it never gets built. It would also look bloody stupid.

16. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Did all this start with the 'iconic' Millenium Wheel - at least in my mind, until then most of the UK had resisted these bollocky branding projects, now we have phalluses going up all over the show*?

* better phrasing optional

17. rover07

I can see the thinking, about giving a different perspective on the sea/coast. The great attraction of Beachy Head is the fantastic panoramic view.

West Pier Trust have pretty much given up.

18. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

I like it, but it should have a glass floor!

Would prefer a west pier though.

19. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

I think what Brighton needs is a sky-scraping "love hotel" that actually is shaped like a phallus. Admittedly anywhere would be more romantic than that god awful 60s hotel currently a few yards west of Regency Square.

20. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Probably spot on. Us vauxhall tavern users have been discussing the two cocks erected next to the pub :D

[​IMG]

21. London_Calling

as if that's new . . .

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To recap:
    Structure that goes out to sea with a walking/viewing platform = pier
    Inland tall thin structure that offers a viewing platform via an elevator = tower

23. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

spanglechick likes this.
  24. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Its a vertical pier for flying machines.

25. London_Calling

Decent view of the French coast on clear days, though.

Surely the 'Gherkin' is the dildo, this is just Peter Crouch with a neck brace.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wonder how much they'll charge for your 15 minute view?

27. London_Calling

Possibly the equivalent of what the Victorians charged for entrance to the pier?

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

This is what it looked like when they were lifting one of the cans onto the base of the jacking tower platform:
    20150718_143213aa.jpg

editor likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

West Pier was free admission before it was closed, as is the Palace Pier now.