1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bombs in Brixton WW2

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by not-bono-ever, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I've never lived in any gaff other than post-war social housing since I moved to South London but I'll check out the areas I've lived in. There was a direct hit opposite my childhood home in West London though.

If you type 'incident' into
    http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/default.asp
    you get lots of photographs. Effra Parade got a direct hit from a V2.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's hard to imagine the horrors of living in London during this time. Just one bomb could make a 100 people homeless.

3. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

It's a strange idea these rockets. They had no military value. Blowing up houses in London wasn't going to have any affect on the western front. They weren't going to halt our war effort. I suppose they were working towards a big nuke and this was an interim measure.

5. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

Let me share with you something from my grandad's memoirs he wrote out for us, from his time living in Peckham.

6. Mrs Magpie

Thanks for that. Heart-rending and still has an immediacy after all this time.
    There's a wonderful diary that illustrates very clearly about how dreadful the Blitz was. 'Few Eggs and No Oranges' by Vere Hodgson
    http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/pages/titles/index.asp?id=27

Brixton and South London generally really copped it :(

7. Mrs Magpie

They were a weapon of terror. Hitler wanted the British population cowed by fear.

8. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

The same basic rocket design, enhanced by the same men, ended up putting men on the Moon:

Wernher von Braun - some journey that, from using Nazi labour camps to running NASA's rocket programme.

9. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

That website only records V1 and V2 damage - there were also a lot of incendiary bombs dropped from aircraft. You can normally identify these by a pattern of small numbers of houses destroyed in adjacent streets where the incendiaries were dropped at closeely spaced intervals. Join up the bombsites on a map and you can see the direction of the original Luftwaffe bombing raid.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My granddad's house was hit by a bomb in Cardiff. It went through the roof and but failed to blow up which was a bit of a relief as they were sheltering below in a Morrison shelter, which wouldn't have been much help against a direct hit.

11. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I heard that the government exaggerated the number of V1s and V2s that fell on North London to mislead the German missile targetters. The result was that a disproportionately large amount of rockets fell on South London.

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

the block i live in in Trinity Gardens was built over a bombed out row of Georgian terraces apparently

13. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

The back of Norfolk House on Rushcroft Road was definitely hit by a bomb/rocket. The wall at the back of the block that separates Norfolk House from what is to become the Black Cultural Heritage centre is still black from soot. The brickwork on the back of the building is different as well.
    I thought that the library was hit? Maybe I am wrong.

14. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Minnie
    on the Bookmongers thread had a bit more on that.

15. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

It would be interesting to know for sure. I heard that they were pulled down in the 50s because of flooding problems. A bomb would have done well to hit that side of the square but miss the other sides and also the Trinity Homes.

16. Pip

Pip Well-Known Member

Nothing much in my neck of the woods (between Stockwell and Clapham North tubes), which is surprising as there are so many post-war blocks.

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

oh, that's what the landlord told me - she's probably talking shite then

18. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

That's the Minet Library, not the Tate Central Library.

AFAIK it was the auditorium of the "Brixton Theatre & Opera House" (as the 1894 foundation stone puts it) behind the Tate Library that took a direct hit, although it took out the glazing of the library rooflights as well.

19. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. That makes sense then: The stack of bombs must have gone from acre lane, to the library with the next one out of the rack hitting Rushcroft.

20. walkssoftly

walkssoftly Well-Known Member

This is very interesting. many many years ago I got taking to a bobby on the beat. He was one of those that used to cycle everywhere on a black bike and only had a year or so to go before he retired..

anyway, he told be that a bomb landed in the road where I live and severely of the house received blast damage. If you look carefully at the front of these houses, you can see that the brick work and plaster work around the bay windows don't match.

He then went on to tell me that houses were also destroyed by bombs on Jelf road, Barnwell road, bankton road and ther area which is Dexter playground.

I also remember the prefab housing which were put up after the war on Jelf road & Barnwell road and playing in huge crates which were on Dexter playground

21. Platform-7

Platform-7 New Member

We are creating an event across London called Silent Cacophony focusing on silence during conflict and there will be an intervention in Mervan Road in Brixton on 11.11.13. This will be one of a number on live art interventions taking place on numerous streets asking how we all reach our opinion on war and conflict. 50second video of event here

[​IMG]
    Full details here and website

tufty79 likes this.
  22. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

This site shows all bomb locations in London:
    http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900
    There was definitely a bomb in Windrush square - I've seen photos of the damage to the library, the top was blown off I think.
    Also one behind the Ritzy, where the 'new' flats are on the corner of Electric Lane. This would explain the car park that occupied the site until the mid-90s.

tufty79 likes this.
  23. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

according to that map 2 went off in front of my grandparents house with another 2 about 100m away. which ties in with my grandmother telling me that they'd been very lucky during the blitz and just had to keep rehanging the front door in the morning after retrieving it from the kitchen.

24. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I've just given up my flat in SW9,included was a notice of what to do in case of a bombing attack.If you look at the Catholic church on Brixton road,it's post war,people who went there to escape the bombs where killed by a direct hit while they were hiding out.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Jesus clearly had plans for them elsewhere.

27. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Well, it shows most of the high-explosive bombs (and a few other types) that fell between 7th October 1940 and 6th June 1941, so it misses out the entire first month of the blitz which started on the 7th September 1940 - that's 30 of the 71 nights that London was bombed. And it doesn't even begin to list the hundreds of thousands of incendiary bombs that were dropped.

28. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

Someone told me once you can still see evidence of bomb damage still on loads of terraced roofs in London where you get distinct sweeps of different tiles where they fell and didn't to too much damage other than to that specific part of the roof. Not sure whether that is true mind

29. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

That is true, although less so now than in the '50s and 60s. That type of damage was typically caused by incendiary bombs lodging in the rafters and burning large parts of the roofs of adjacent houses. They were just over a foot long and weighed about a kilo.
    [​IMG]
    In some places you can also see large chunks that were taken out of buildings by the shrapnel from high explosive bombs.