Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

bombs in Brixton WW2

I've never lived in any gaff other than post-war social housing since I moved to South London but I'll check out the areas I've lived in. There was a direct hit opposite my childhood home in West London though.

If you type 'incident' into
http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/default.asp
you get lots of photographs. Effra Parade got a direct hit from a V2.

It's hard to imagine the horrors of living in London during this time. Just one bomb could make a 100 people homeless.
The V1 fell at the junction of Kings Avenue and Clarence Road. It demolished 12 flats and 40 houses and also caused much damage to Queenswood court.

It's a strange idea these rockets. They had no military value. Blowing up houses in London wasn't going to have any affect on the western front. They weren't going to halt our war effort. I suppose they were working towards a big nuke and this was an interim measure.

Let me share with you something from my grandad's memoirs he wrote out for us, from his time living in Peckham.

Tried to settle down, only this time there was gun-fire very near, I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from there were no gun emplacements near us. The reverberations of each firing shook the ground, there would be even less sleep that night.

Then I heard the double drone of a plane and the whistle of bombs, - bloody hell that first one was close! Followed by two, three and four, the fifth one only made a terrible rushing sound like a train before it exploded, and the ground moved like water. It was like being in a small rowing boat in the wake of a big ship. Dad and I both turned to the door and were both blasted in the face by a stream of grit, dust and dirt from the edges of the door. What damage the concussion of that explosion would have done inside our shelter but for the door, I dread to think. Dad pushed the door open and went outside. I followed. The oak posts and iron roof of his shed has fallen on the shelter and were supporting tons of brick and rubble. The beams made a triangular tunnel we could crawl through into the garden.

Against the moon and star lit sky, the black silhouette of our row of houses had a deep vee in it, the bottom of the vee was where our house should have been, we could see straight through to the houses across the road. The sides of the vee were the two adjoining houses. One bomb had made three families homeless. I glanced at my watch, it was five minutes to 11 o’clock on the eleventh of September [1940].

No one ever mentions the stink of an explosion, it’s a dry, bitter, burnt sort of smell that stings the nostrils and hangs in the air for ages. Dad shouted to the Lawrences one side asking if they were ok, there was no one hurt but they could smell gas – then to the Dellows on the other side, they were fine but had water leaking in their shelter – both then were in a worse predicament than we were. The sound of another plane and gun-fire, searchlights raking the sky to find it, sent us crawling back into the shelter, through the lean-to tunnel.

Dad said to Mum “May, the house has gone” she sobbed heart rending sobs. Over twenty years of hard slogging to build a home – gone in an instant – and now 40ish faced with the prospect of starting all over again with nothing.

It's a strange idea these rockets. They had no military value. Blowing up houses in London wasn't going to have any affect on the western front. They weren't going to halt our war effort. I suppose they were working towards a big nuke and this was an interim measure.
They were a weapon of terror. Hitler wanted the British population cowed by fear.

Bomb damage in SW2:

http://www.flyingbombsandrockets.com/V1_summary_sw2.html

I'm surprised not to see my street listed, as there's a big gap in the houses on one side, which I assumed was bomb damage.

That website only records V1 and V2 damage - there were also a lot of incendiary bombs dropped from aircraft. You can normally identify these by a pattern of small numbers of houses destroyed in adjacent streets where the incendiaries were dropped at closeely spaced intervals. Join up the bombsites on a map and you can see the direction of the original Luftwaffe bombing raid.

My granddad's house was hit by a bomb in Cardiff. It went through the roof and but failed to blow up which was a bit of a relief as they were sheltering below in a Morrison shelter, which wouldn't have been much help against a direct hit.

I heard that the government exaggerated the number of V1s and V2s that fell on North London to mislead the German missile targetters. The result was that a disproportionately large amount of rockets fell on South London.

the block i live in in Trinity Gardens was built over a bombed out row of Georgian terraces apparently

The back of Norfolk House on Rushcroft Road was definitely hit by a bomb/rocket. The wall at the back of the block that separates Norfolk House from what is to become the Black Cultural Heritage centre is still black from soot. The brickwork on the back of the building is different as well.
I thought that the library was hit? Maybe I am wrong.

The back of Norfolk House on Rushcroft Road was definitely hit by a bomb/rocket. The wall at the back of the block that separates Norfolk House from what is to become the Black Cultural Heritage centre is still black from soot. The brickwork on the back of the building is different as well.
I thought that the library was hit? Maybe I am wrong.

Minnie
on the Bookmongers thread had a bit more on that.

the block i live in in Trinity Gardens was built over a bombed out row of Georgian terraces apparently

It would be interesting to know for sure. I heard that they were pulled down in the 50s because of flooding problems. A bomb would have done well to hit that side of the square but miss the other sides and also the Trinity Homes.

Nothing much in my neck of the woods (between Stockwell and Clapham North tubes), which is surprising as there are so many post-war blocks.

It would be interesting to know for sure. I heard that they were pulled down in the 50s because of flooding problems. A bomb would have done well to hit that side of the square but miss the other sides and also the Trinity Homes.

oh, that's what the landlord told me - she's probably talking shite then

Minnie
on the Bookmongers thread had a bit more on that.

That's the Minet Library, not the Tate Central Library.

AFAIK it was the auditorium of the "Brixton Theatre & Opera House" (as the 1894 foundation stone puts it) behind the Tate Library that took a direct hit, although it took out the glazing of the library rooflights as well.

This is very interesting. many many years ago I got taking to a bobby on the beat. He was one of those that used to cycle everywhere on a black bike and only had a year or so to go before he retired..

anyway, he told be that a bomb landed in the road where I live and severely of the house received blast damage. If you look carefully at the front of these houses, you can see that the brick work and plaster work around the bay windows don't match.

He then went on to tell me that houses were also destroyed by bombs on Jelf road, Barnwell road, bankton road and ther area which is Dexter playground.

I also remember the prefab housing which were put up after the war on Jelf road & Barnwell road and playing in huge crates which were on Dexter playground

We are creating an event across London called Silent Cacophony focusing on silence during conflict and there will be an intervention in Mervan Road in Brixton on 11.11.13. This will be one of a number on live art interventions taking place on numerous streets asking how we all reach our opinion on war and conflict. 50second video of event here

2fcede_1dae03997e1dfa38d1d845c28228ca00.jpg_srz_350_561_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Full details here and website

This site shows all bomb locations in London:
http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900
There was definitely a bomb in Windrush square - I've seen photos of the damage to the library, the top was blown off I think.
Also one behind the Ritzy, where the 'new' flats are on the corner of Electric Lane. This would explain the car park that occupied the site until the mid-90s.

according to that map 2 went off in front of my grandparents house with another 2 about 100m away. which ties in with my grandmother telling me that they'd been very lucky during the blitz and just had to keep rehanging the front door in the morning after retrieving it from the kitchen.

I've just given up my flat in SW9,included was a notice of what to do in case of a bombing attack.If you look at the Catholic church on Brixton road,it's post war,people who went there to escape the bombs where killed by a direct hit while they were hiding out.

I've just given up my flat in SW9,included was a notice of what to do in case of a bombing attack.If you look at the Catholic church on Brixton road,it's post war,people who went there to escape the bombs where killed by a direct hit while they were hiding out.
Jesus clearly had plans for them elsewhere.

This site shows all bomb locations in London:
Well, it shows most of the high-explosive bombs (and a few other types) that fell between 7th October 1940 and 6th June 1941, so it misses out the entire first month of the blitz which started on the 7th September 1940 - that's 30 of the 71 nights that London was bombed. And it doesn't even begin to list the hundreds of thousands of incendiary bombs that were dropped.

Someone told me once you can still see evidence of bomb damage still on loads of terraced roofs in London where you get distinct sweeps of different tiles where they fell and didn't to too much damage other than to that specific part of the roof. Not sure whether that is true mind

Someone told me once you can still see evidence of bomb damage still on loads of terraced roofs in London where you get distinct sweeps of different tiles where they fell and didn't to too much damage other than to that specific part of the roof. Not sure whether that is true mind
That is true, although less so now than in the '50s and 60s. That type of damage was typically caused by incendiary bombs lodging in the rafters and burning large parts of the roofs of adjacent houses. They were just over a foot long and weighed about a kilo.
10249.jpg

In some places you can also see large chunks that were taken out of buildings by the shrapnel from high explosive bombs.

Back
Top Bottom