Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

All Woolworths stores to close Jan 5th: 28,000 jobs down the pan!

There is still time for an entrepreneur to pop in and save the least loss making from closure.

In fact if someone had tried earlier they might have been saddled with debt and all the stores, now with the end in sight they may be able to get a much better deal, i.e. only the best stores, no debts and minimal stock.

I'm surprised there are any jobs left in this country. I've been following the news and so far I'm pretty sure more jobs have gone than there are people. Poor sods, wonder how long before I join them.

There is still time for an entrepreneur to pop in and save the least loss making from closure.

In fact if someone had tried earlier they might have been saddled with debt and all the stores, now with the end in sight they may be able to get a much better deal, i.e. only the best stores, no debts and minimal stock.

A veritable Christmas miracle!

:rolleyes:

You wouldn't put past someone to step in on Christmas Eve just for the good publicity. Probably cheaper than running an ad campaign.

“Worried members should contact their Usdaw reps or the local union office and comply with instructions from their store managers.

Fuck you.

John Hannett, Usdaw General Secretary added:

“I am personally devastated for the 30,000 Woolworths staff and our members can rest assured we will do everything we can to assist them at this difficult time. The Woolworths staff are extremely loyal, dedicated and well trained and wherever vacancies exist in the retail sector we will use our contacts to find alternative employment as speedily as possible.”

And you, you useless cunt.

How do they have the cheek to still call themselves a trade union?

Fuck you.

And you, you useless cunt.

How do they have the cheek to still call themselves a trade union?

Indeed. Used to work there. They made us join Usdaw so I set up a GMB branch much to the hilarity of the more militant shop stewards who back then (early 90s) were getting fobbed off with press releases like that one.

I've heard several stories about USDAW full timers having an 'agreement' to drop a line to management if any lay members got a bit militant in meetings.

Didn't you get the memo steveo? It's in your contract to wag your fucking tail and beg for scraps. Go on, beg. Beg you fucker. You want this job. You really want to scan those fucking chinese built consumer durables for little over minimum wage. And smile. Go on, smile. Really smile, you need to convince me, cos I got the dollars. etc etc.

Went into my union office today(unite) who told me they have had loads of usdaw members ringing up wanting to join.The representation they have had from Usdaw has been shit.

This "comply with instructions from their store managers" reminded me of the lyrics from Every Home a Prison.

Woolworths did suffer from not keepking up with the times. Stores like Wilkinsons took the model and expanded it, with Woolworths (to me) standing still. The image of it being cheap cd singles and pic'n'mix was not being shifted that quickly.

I am gutted for the 28,000 losing thier jobs, especially when it comes so soon in the new year, but as ever it seems those in charge of the business model had no idea how to adapt to modern times.

My mother works in a supermarket, where USDAW has been "Us-slow" and "Us-dodo" for as long as i can remember.....:)

My mother works in a supermarket, where USDAW has been "Us-slow" and "Us-dodo" for as long as i can remember.....:)

It's always been run by guys from the distribution (ie warehousing, transport) branches who never worked in a shop. Things don't seem to have changed from a quick look at their website.

I am gutted for the 28,000 losing thier jobs, especially when it comes so soon in the new year, but as ever it seems those in charge of the business model had no idea how to adapt to modern times.

So true. I remember talking to one of my mates about this, there didn't seem to be any point in Woolworths..what was it for? What did it sell? Always just seemed like a mess rather than having a coherent strategy on products...kinda of an upclass pound shop.

what was it for? What did it sell? Always just seemed like a mess rather than having a coherent strategy on products...kinda of an upclass pound shop.

Not much point in Woolworths in cities, but it really came into its own in country towns. I've been in places like Kirkwall and Stornoway where Woolies really is the town centre where you meet everyone, because there aren't any other big shops and Woolworths had the infrastructure to stock ranges that nobody else could. But these towns now have their Tescos and Morrisons on the outskirts (which could be only 200 yards away, of course) so the market's gone there too.

George Galloway MP has tabled a motion in the House of Commons calling for a People's Woolies.
"That this House is appalled by the imminent closure of Woolworths, after 99 years of trading, with the loss of some 30,000 jobs and more than 700 high street stores; calls on the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Business to take all the necessary steps to create a People’s Woolies, under public control, as a bulwark against the worst effects of the recession, employing local people, sourcing local produce, easily accessible by public transport, and providing the goods and services that those on low incomes need; and asks that this is done as a matter of urgency before Woolworths’ assets are stripped without any public benefit whatsoever."

And there's a petition that people can use to supply George Galloway with their names and addresses.

Went into my union office today(unite) who told me they have had loads of usdaw members ringing up wanting to join.The representation they have had from Usdaw has been shit.

Yeh my experience of USDAW is that they work for the retailers not their members :mad:

Poor Woolworths :(

Back
Top Bottom