All Woolworths stores to close Jan 5th: 28,000 jobs down the pan!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by treelover, Dec 17, 2008.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Alll stores to close on January 5th, 28,000 jobs to go?:(

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

There is still time for an entrepreneur to pop in and save the least loss making from closure.

In fact if someone had tried earlier they might have been saddled with debt and all the stores, now with the end in sight they may be able to get a much better deal, i.e. only the best stores, no debts and minimal stock.

3. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

4. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

I'm surprised there are any jobs left in this country. I've been following the news and so far I'm pretty sure more jobs have gone than there are people. Poor sods, wonder how long before I join them.

5. kerb

kerb trip-stop

thats terrible

what a way to start the year :(

6. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

A veritable Christmas miracle!

:rolleyes:

You wouldn't put past someone to step in on Christmas Eve just for the good publicity. Probably cheaper than running an ad campaign.

7. Awesome Wells

Awesome Wells charged vacuum emboitment Banned

I smell a Dragon's Den Christmas special here!

Don't tell me tv isn't that cynical.

8. glenquagmire

glenquagmire Rightwing NuLab apologist

Oh for a decent union to put forward an alternative strategy.

9. brix

brix spinster of this parish

This is incredibly sad :(

10. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

11. glenquagmire

Fuck you.

And you, you useless cunt.

How do they have the cheek to still call themselves a trade union?

12. twistedAM

Indeed. Used to work there. They made us join Usdaw so I set up a GMB branch much to the hilarity of the more militant shop stewards who back then (early 90s) were getting fobbed off with press releases like that one.

13. glenquagmire

I've heard several stories about USDAW full timers having an 'agreement' to drop a line to management if any lay members got a bit militant in meetings.

14. steve0223

steve0223 Well-Known Member

fck it makes them sound like they are dogs or something, not potentially devastated, betrayed and angry human beings.

15. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

Didn't you get the memo steveo? It's in your contract to wag your fucking tail and beg for scraps. Go on, beg. Beg you fucker. You want this job. You really want to scan those fucking chinese built consumer durables for little over minimum wage. And smile. Go on, smile. Really smile, you need to convince me, cos I got the dollars. etc etc.

16. nightbreed

nightbreed Im Bored

Went into my union office today(unite) who told me they have had loads of usdaw members ringing up wanting to join.The representation they have had from Usdaw has been shit.

17. Skimix

Skimix Well-Known Member

This "comply with instructions from their store managers" reminded me of the lyrics from Every Home a Prison.

18. liampreston

liampreston Spend time, not money

Woolworths did suffer from not keepking up with the times. Stores like Wilkinsons took the model and expanded it, with Woolworths (to me) standing still. The image of it being cheap cd singles and pic'n'mix was not being shifted that quickly.

I am gutted for the 28,000 losing thier jobs, especially when it comes so soon in the new year, but as ever it seems those in charge of the business model had no idea how to adapt to modern times.

My mother works in a supermarket, where USDAW has been "Us-slow" and "Us-dodo" for as long as i can remember.....:)

19. twistedAM

It's always been run by guys from the distribution (ie warehousing, transport) branches who never worked in a shop. Things don't seem to have changed from a quick look at their website.

20. Skimix

Skimix Well-Known Member

So true. I remember talking to one of my mates about this, there didn't seem to be any point in Woolworths..what was it for? What did it sell? Always just seemed like a mess rather than having a coherent strategy on products...kinda of an upclass pound shop.

21. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

even worse than the GMB?

22. Fullyplumped

Fullyplumped in a personal capacity

Not much point in Woolworths in cities, but it really came into its own in country towns. I've been in places like Kirkwall and Stornoway where Woolies really is the town centre where you meet everyone, because there aren't any other big shops and Woolworths had the infrastructure to stock ranges that nobody else could. But these towns now have their Tescos and Morrisons on the outskirts (which could be only 200 yards away, of course) so the market's gone there too.

23. Fullyplumped

George Galloway MP has tabled a motion in the House of Commons calling for a People's Woolies.
    And there's a petition that people can use to supply George Galloway with their names and addresses.

24. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Hmm, another great idea from Galloway, yes I can see that one fly!! .............. ( not )

25. Fullyplumped

26. zenie

zenie >^^<

Yeh my experience of USDAW is that they work for the retailers not their members :mad:

Poor Woolworths :(

27. twistedAM

Yeah, basically another subsidiary of Tesco.

28. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Read that 60% (on some items) sale is coming...that's mean Playstation 3's for £180!

29. brasicritique

brasicritique Banned Banned

now that wuold be a christmas miracle

30. Skimix

Skimix Well-Known Member