1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zombie star with an antimattter core?????

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by HAL9000, Nov 12, 2017.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

Supernovae, the explosions of stars, have been observed in the thousands and in all cases they marked the death of a star.

But in a study published today in the journal Nature, the team discovered a remarkable exception; a star that exploded multiple times over a period of more than fifty years. Their observations, which include data from Keck Observatory on Maunakea, Hawaii, are challenging existing theories on these cosmic catastrophes

"According to this theory, it is possible that this was the result of star so massive and hot that it generated antimatter in its core," said co-author Daniel Kasen, an associate professor in the Physics and Astronomy Departments at UC Berkeley :eek:

Astronomers discover a star that would not die: Supernova discovery challenges known theories of the death of stars

2. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

By what mechanism can a star generate antimatter in its core? I've never heard of any stars doing that.

3. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

Well, to answer my own question, here's Bad Astronomer Phil Plait with an explanation:

The star that blew up a little... then blew up a lot
    However...

HAL9000 and Signal 11 like this.