Zimbabwe: Elections 2018

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

A thread for next year's Zimbabwean elections. Ol' Bob is being urged by his wife to at least name a successor before he pops his clogs, but I see no signs of him doing so.

Meanwhile, the opposition MDC party seems to be a party in decline, thus making next year's vote ZANU-PF's to lose:

Zimbabwe: The opposition's urban voter problem - African Arguments

chilango likes this.
  2. Idris2002

3. Idris2002

4. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

At 93, he's had a pretty good run. He's a snappy dresser too:

[​IMG]

There's some who are suggesting that his wife has already taken over. If that is so, then its likely she'll be his successor.

Grace Mugabe has taken over Zimbabwe, opposition leader claims

The part of that article that I found interesting was this:

Probably more evidence of China's growing influence in the region.

<edited to add>
    And, bless you for posting something other than "all Trump, all the time."

5. Idris2002

Looks like there is a plan for succession, but that means leaving some aspiring candidates out in the cold, if Mugabe's man does get chosen:

Mugabe attacks military chiefs - The Zimbabwe Independent

And more importantly, RM has warned the army to keep its nose out.

Remember, he's never had untramelled power. His attempt to officially make Zim a one-party state failed back in 1990: it was only the other day that he was able to get a ruling that would finally undermine the independence of the judiciary there.

6. Idris2002

7. Idris2002

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. Idris2002

9. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

10. Idris2002

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I was chatting about the charming rm at work today, knowing nothing about this thread and was told that he turned into the man he is today when he hard part of his penis chopped of!
    I never heard this before....

Google Groups

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Hasn't "The Crocodile" recently suffered a suspected poisoning, after eating ice cream made by a company that Amazing Grace owns?

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

pretty sure that castrated mugabe story is bs

NoXion likes this.
  14. Idris2002

It is on like donkey kong - the army chief now says that he and his boys may have to step in to "defend the revolution".

JUST IN: ZDF comments on Zanu-PF | The Herald

ZANU-PF, he says has been infiltrated by counter-revolutionaries. These are unspecified, but the background is that a few days ago Grace Mugabe managed to put the kibosh (temporarily or permanently, it remains to be seen) on the ambitions of Emmerson Mnangagwa, Bob's long-serving deputy. I can only assume that the purge General Chiwenga is referring is the expulsion of Mnangagwa. . .

Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa - the Crocodile Who Never Understood the Waters

The Bob Mugabe era is now finally ending. Will it be followed by the Grace Mugabe era? Some people would say yes, definitely. I'm not so sure. . . and even if she can hold on to pole position, the opposition haven't gone away, you know.

Even if Tsvangirai is now being called on to step down. I can't find a link right now, but IIRC he has colon cancer, which is one of the bad ones.

Tsvangirai urged to pass the baton

SpackleFrog likes this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

likesfish likes this.
  16. Idris2002

Situation remains unclear! Lots of clickbait is talking about 'tanks' on the streets in Harare, but when you click through, it turns out to be just APCs.

My guess is that it's a coup, alright, but I could yet be proved wrong. . . and if the goal is to take out Mugabe, maybe you should do more than just put him under house arrest. . . .

17. Idris2002

So. . . the latest is that top ZANU-PF bod S.K. Moyo has accued Gen Chiwenga of 'treasonable conduct', but the general has not yet been removed from post.

A lot of people are playing for high stakes here, and the opposition and the masses can do nothing but watch from the sidelines.

18. Idris2002

Just saw something claiming that Bob will be allowed to go into exile in Singapore, and free elections will be held "soon". No idea if that's true, though.

19. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Why Singapore? There some longer term connection there?

20. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Be who you needed when you were younger

His medical consultants.

21. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Not many civilians can make the differentiation between a tank and an APC, as has been seen in the rest of the world, when the big lumps of armour appear on the streets, shit is about to happen.

muscovyduck and likesfish like this.
  22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

23. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

24. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Clearly a coup.

Anyone but Grace! Apparently Mugabe has got rid of most of the old guard in the past few years, so not sure how much support he will have. Especially at 93...

krtek a houby and JimW like this.
  25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Too soon for 'fall from Grace' puns?

26. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Lolz

She is fucking awful though

27. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Think they could lend SA a hand and move over the border and get rid of Zuma?

Can’t find a statement from the ANC yet.

28. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I’m not sure they’ve “got rid” of Mugabe just yet.

frogwoman and danny la rouge like this.
  29. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

He’s in the safe hands of the zim army hopefully face down in a ditch along with the rest of his family

30. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the army intervention is to shore up Mugabe’s position (superficially at least) rather than get rid of him.

kebabking likes this.