Your kid being scouted

Discussion in 'football' started by AverageJoe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Hello.

So I've always been brought up to be fair and and always made sure that AverageJoe Jr has been brought up to be fair and honest.

It's a thing that he's very very good at sports. As such, today he had his first of a four session trial.

OK. I dont expect the parents to be a massive fan of me (because he will take one of those kids places over if he succeeds) but I was shocked at the level of competitive hatred. Parents shouting, screaming, and the fact that Ted (whicis easier than typing AverageJoe junior is) made sure sure that all players were OK when they went down etc.

Where am I going wrong? He's just turned 7 but plays a year older in age group. He's as good, if not better than the other kids, but how do I deal with the 'watching him play and listening to all the other parents living their dream through their kids' thing and handling his expectations?

I said to him tonight that what he needs to do is work out a way that the *team* need to realise that they need him and not the other way round. He's got that, he's bright, but any other parents of sporting prodigies on here that have to deal with the same thing?

2. Obvs all sports and after school club apply

3. And I was shocked that my shitty sat morning training was way more effective. And these days that shouldn't happen should it

4. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

Average Joe (& others)

I’ll offer this as a starter for ten:

My old man was a pro- footballer; and later a coach (spending most of that time as a youth coach)
    I signed associated schoolboy terms with a pro club (in the late 80’s) and was offered YTS by another
    My eldest (14) plays an ok level and of Sunday football
    My youngest (11) goes to an athletics club and trains with county standard athletes.

Given the above:

With every generation the craven desire (given the grotesque amounts of cash involved) of parents to force/cajole their son into professional football grows ever more disgusting.

I have to walk away from some of my sons games - & watch from a safe distance - when some of the coaches / parents get going. And these are kids who in all probability aren’t going to make it. In these instances the kids are vehicles for the adults egos. Fuck knows what it must be like to watch your lads games, given what’s at stake.

I think your approach is absolutely the right one. Sounds like you are teaching/coaching junior the right way to go about playing and thinking about the game - all life lessons regardless of whether he signs on the dotted line as a footballer or not. Don’t change this.

Re: your coaching. In my experience (& more importantly those of my Dad) football - more than any other sport - allowed any Tom, Dick or Harry to show up to coach kids (regardless of qualifications) as long as they were mates with someone more senior and were seen as ‘good eggs’. At some stage during the last 15-20 years this was supposed to have changed with the advent of unified coaching badges etc. However, things don’t appear to have changed that much....

As a contrast. My youngest (the athlete) trains in a much more welcoming, nurturing and friendly environment. The two boys (twins) who have shown much promise (county perhaps national standard) are treated just the same as the other kids and everyone - parents or kids alike - wishes them all the very best.

At 7/8 years old kids are being signed up (whereas in my day it was 14/15). As we can all appreciate there are many hurdles / pitfalls along the way. Of my YTS batch only one went on to play for the first team and two played lower league football before finding new careers.

I hope (for all the doom and gloom of this post) that these kids retain their love of football, despite the overwhelming chance that they won’t make it as a pro. I did and have. I hope your son gets from the game everything that he wishes. Should he or not it sounds like he has the right attitude from his parents to give him the right support and direction.

Good luck

5. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I’m just starting out on this road. 27 junior has trial at Cardiff City coming up. I’ve just told him do the best he can and if it isn’t good enough then that’s fine.

I’ve also drilled into him the fact that my pension pot is way too small and I won’t be able to eat after I retire unless he starts earning Premiership wages, but that he shouldn’t worry about that.

sealion, AverageJoe and editor like this.
  6. Ted had his first session in Monday. The other parents don't half swear and shout a lot at their kids ..

7. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

You are right. What isn't good for one club doesn't mean he's no good at all. The top clubs are looking for the next Harry kane, smaller clubs will look for the potential and if it's visable they will take a kid on and hone that talent, Also age is a factor, I know of three lads (aged 9 at the time) that got knock backs. Two years later they were twice the player and all got signed up to league clubs.

All the best for your lads trial!

8. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Remember that for all the kids that are picked out as being special, only a small percentage actually get through. Most of them get dropped with no ceremony.

Manage their expectations. And don't make yours their responsibility.

planetgeli and sealion like this.