1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your First Foreign Experience?

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Stanley Edwards, Jul 26, 2017.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Overlapping with my sister's first job, she went to Kavos on a teenage holiday and got a job as a rep for Thomson, encouraging irresponsible behaviour and picking up the pieces, including having on one occasion to formally identify the corpse of a client

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Celyn likes this.
  2. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

School trip when I was 14 or so. Flew to Zurich, then a train to Austria - some not-memorable little place. Was quite amazed and a bit alarmed to see police-type blokes with guns at Zurich airport and a sodding TANK. Eek. These days, I suppose that would not be a surprise. :(

Big mountains. Nice big thunderstorms. Oh yes, went down salt mines in Salzburg, reasonably enough. That was fun. I got a bit ill of sunstroke and nearly missed the trip to Innsbruck but did get there.

tim and Spymaster like this.
  3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

No, they were Irish.

Celyn likes this.
  4. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Rt Hon. Thingummy

First memory, really. Mexico City 1978.

5. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Yes, and many of us are still envious of your Irish passport! Huh!

AuntiStella, tim and Spymaster like this.
  6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I remember my mum going to the travel agents on the Wednesday before half term and saying we wanted to fly on Saturday and coming back with pages and pages of that printer paper that was perforated and had square holes down the side which listed all the holidays they had last minute places on. Late 80's early 90's. Got some good deals, almost always went allocation on arrival and ditched the accommodation to do our own thing.

Celyn likes this.
  7. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

We did Leeds to the Tarn departement with 4 kids under 7 in a Renault 4!

wiskey likes this.
  8. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Holland and Belgium on a school trip aged 11. Vague memories of staying in bunks in dorms and some strange pasta dish for breakfast, which looked like maggots in an orange sauce but was actually really nice.

Also of bringing my parents back a ceramic clog-shaped lighter from Delft.

9. AuntiStella

AuntiStella assigned male

Was thinking, hopefully my step daughter will have interesting early holiday memories. We took her to Prague by coach, when it was dirt cheap, then a budget holiday to Spain, staying in the mountains, and we drove once all the way to Normandy, from London, via Calais.

10. iona

iona idle and disorderly

My very first time abroad probably would've been when I was conceived during a ferry crossing on the way back from a family holiday somewhere in Europe. (Thanks mum, really needed to know that...) I don't know if they were back in the English part of the Channel by then though, so maybe not.

First time abroad that I can remember would either have been a holiday in France or visiting my dad's family in Wales. We did both multiple times when I was little, not sure which is the earliest I recall.

Main thing I remember from France is going to a local bakery every morning and being allowed to buy the stuff for everyone's breakfast, in French, by myself. From Wales I remember Joe's ice cream :) , staying in my Grandpa's house and his ridiculously steep garden with the fishpond and view right across Swansea Bay.

11. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

GDR in 1985.

12. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Yes - one of those was my first. London to Palafrugell (Costa Brava) with an overnight stop in France sleeping in the car. We started at Twickenham and the car halted for me to be sick by a roadside in Kingston upon Thames.

tim likes this.
  13. krtek a houby

krtek a houby it can't happen here Banned

England, 1973. Ferry, trains, family and being bitten by a duck.

14. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Arriving in England and living in Tidworth.

15. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

1st was Wales, where the locals beat me up.
    2nd was Greece, where the locals bought me drinks and food.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

From where?

17. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Kuala Lumpur

Spymaster likes this.
  18. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

My first proper foreign experience was Mallorca in the early 60's. I was 15 and had heard about squat toilets in France. On arriving at the hotel there was a bathroom with a proper toilet and a square on the floor with a small hole to one side. I decided to pee in this foreign toilet instead of the normal one. As I was squatting peeing I looked up and noticed the shower head :facepalm:

cupid_stunt likes this.
  19. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Trip to Paris by DanAir. Plane to Luton, past a burned out wreck at the end of the runway, bus to Lydd round London before the M25 existed, wonderful view of the top of Dungeness as we flew right over it!

Then barely clip the clouds before landing in Beauvais some minutes later and a nother bus round les Peripherique in its full on choked with cars and fumes glory.

Then back to London a week later to stay with a friend just off the Kings Road for a few days before the train back north. The day I first saw the Kings Road was the day Elvis died. The Teds and early punks were out in force to mourn.

20. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The first time in Spain, we (a friend and I) were going to do our University year abroad (modern languages students) and we arrived on a blistering hot Sunday morning in Madrid. We had to scout out a good pension (we would be using it for weeks or months) and so we went to one after another until we found a really nice one.

By this time, it was 2.30 in the afternoon and, exhausted, we decided to find a restaurant and have proper Spanish paella. But every restaurant we went to was just about to close. Eventually, we found a tiny place down a back alley and they agreed to cook us one from fresh. We had to wait almost an hour but, when it came it was absolutely, unbelievably delicious...:cool::cool:

Weeks later, when we were properly settled, we decided we had to go back and repeat the experience. We knew where it was but, when we got there, there was no restaurant there.:eek::confused:

Spooky eh? :)

21. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

France, aged 11 or so, staying away from any dog in case I got rabies.

22. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

France at 3.