1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite retro car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 11, 2018.

1. There really is something different about being the passenger in a broken down car and the driver; as a passenger you can have a drink or two to while away the time, and you ain’t stressing about how much this latest calamity’s gonna hurt yer purse.

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Catherham 620R.

You can have a head start, it’s OK.

dessiato, snadge and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

true, but all these boyfriends with the hopeless but good looking vehicles have been skint as well, and I have a 50% share in the useless VW so we agreed that sad day. I am well primed for this coming mistake. :cool:

4. There’s not telling folk today, but kabbes is right, hilly country living = Panda 4x4

kabbes likes this.
  5. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. Banned

Oi! I think 'retro' simply means a usable classic in a contemporary environment. But - yep, I haven't driven a car since I took up full time drinking about 10 years ago. I am fundamentally a no driving under any influence sort of person.

bimble and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

You need to take a more philosophical approach, my friend.

You can kick back by the side of the road smoking a Gauloise whilst your 'classic' car burns to death, and noone will ever think it odd. It was basically just a matter of time. Then someone passing by who fondly recalls their version of the same mysteriously doing their version of the same will stop and offer you a whisky.

But when the appointed claims investigator is asking you exactly how your nearly-new Audi came to be embedded in a bridge support just one day from the end of your GAP policy, and how you came to walk away just fine, you sense their expression is not one of idle curiosity.

Bahnhof Strasse and bimble like this.
  7. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

That's not a track even so, a 480BHP, SWB S1 would easily keep up with your nose heavy RS6.

8. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Oops it's raining, have fun.

9. Three years next week since I gave up the snout, so safe and steady for me from now on, with a tamed 350 odd horses prowling around, for safer overtaking.

10. The A3 is the track of my choice, as per your request, and of course you’ll be bringing the wife, kids, dogs and a decent amount of shit to fly-tip around the Devil’s Punchbowl, naturally.

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Exactly. The cameraderie of aesthethetic romantic fools, standing around by the side of the road, louchely. Who is to say that this is better or worse than actually getting from a to b. :)

12. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

All in the caravan, safety not guaranteed.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

PHHeroesSD1Vitesse_01-L.jpg
    I knew a guy years ago who had one, stripped out, 4 litre engine, scaffold pole for an exhaust.

dessiato and weltweit like this.
  14. Sea Star

Sea Star Non cis woman

well, here's mine

[​IMG]

or this
    [​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

15. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Absolute Junk, even worse were the 20 Morris Marinas built with that engine so they could rally them, highlight of that endeavor was the BL works team getting arrested and held for hostage (almost) for driving like cunts.

This is my mates brother's historic class one, it's a replica but true to detail.

[​IMG]

16. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

I had one of those Civics. Lovely little car. But don't try to do any brazing on the engine. They catch fire.

A friend almost sold me his Mach 1. It was great as long as you didn't need to go round corners or tight bends.

I had use of a mk3 Cortina. It was dull and boring. It was only the 1600.

17. starfish

Hmmm. Morris Marinas. We had one once. It explains a lot.

dessiato likes this.
  18. Sea Star

Sea Star Non cis woman

i've never actually driven any of those cars - just picked them cos i like how they look. I drove a Fiesta once - it was quite nippy.

snadge and dessiato like this.
  19. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Mk3 Cortinas were arse happy, dangerously so, Mk2s were the one to go for, Ford really screwed the pooch in the 80s and had a terrible lineup, extremely dangerous, under engineered cars that tried to compete with the Japanese and Germans, they didn't.

Ford still use drum brakes even today lol.

20. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mk2 Granada ghia estate. 2.8i

21. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

What engine in your RS6? If your chucking out that, the S1 would embarrass you, 50% lighter, 50% more power and full mechanical Torsen 4 wheel drive.

The older diff lock quattros handle far better than the new ones, I have had both and would get one in a heartbeat.

Real Audis have inline 5 cylinders and a turbocharger, everything else is a rebadged VW.

22. starfish

imageproxy.jpg
    Saw one recently when walking a friends dog. Got ott excited. But when did you last see one? Seriously? I mean cmon ffs.

snadge and mauvais like this.
  23. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

A lot of small cars still use drums (on the rear at least) - I was quite surprised. Ford do a decent job of engineering these days too, at least in terms of handling.

24. Sea Star

Sea Star Non cis woman

oh, just to quickly say i saw a Renault 5 yesterday - first time for decades i reckon! Wasn't even restored - was all banged up and rusty round the wheel arches too.

25. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Ford have come on in leaps and bounds since about 2002 but they are still crap compared to what they are competing with, same with Vauxhall.

These are the 2 manufacturers that still predominantly use drum brakes, alongside bare minimum specs for engine parts and running gear, there is a reason the scrapyards are full of far newer Fords and Vauxhalls than all the other manufacturers.

26. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Walter Rohrl drove an S1 up Pike's Peak in 10:47. A 2018 Honda NSX can do it in 10:08. So I'll have an NSX and we're going up Pike's Peak.

Apart from the NSX there are plenty of modern cars that would absolutely shit all over an S1 on road and track: Nismo GTR, 911 GT3/2, Huracan Perfomante, etc.

27. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Almost 40 years but I do know I could piss on a nose diving RS6.

I would still have a go v them cars you have mentioned though.

The new generation of quattros have gone haldex, on demand 4 wheel drive.

Now there are only 2 manufacturers that do torsional 4WD, Subaru and Mitsubishi.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 1:49 AM
  28. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Honestly the best car I’ve owned, I can’t count the number of times it’s been able to cope in situations where bigger 4x4s would have struggled (and were struggling). The day in the snow drifts of 2010 when I went sailing past the Land Rover snow plough that was stuck in a drift was a particular classic — there’s a reason you see Panda 4x4s all over the Alps. And when you need to drive it into town, you can park in all those spaces that the other idiots with their X5s and Q7s can’t get into.

Just make sure you own a second car for motorway runs, unless you enjoy listening to a screaming engine struggling at 70mph for hours on end...

29. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

In fact...
    I’ll pick a literal “track” — a narrow series of hairpins on the side of Mont Blanc that are frequently no more than 6 foot wide and with a hell of a gradient and with 4 foot of fresh snow sitting on top. I’ll have my aforementioned battered 10 year old Fiat Panda 4x4.
    That ain’t gonna help you here, my friend.

And bonus points if you are carrying a goat in the back.

30. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Agreed, they seemed to do a good job of keeping it looking 'cute', something that BMW failed to do with the 'mini on steroids'. Missed the point by a mile, although it seemed to keep estate agents happy (never a good thing).

Although I did notice a few years later via some promotional stand at a provincial shopping centre that they'd come out with a version of the 500 for twats/children:

IMG_2597.jpg

Look at that thing. Talk about brand dilution. It must have horrified half of Notting Hill to think they were now part of this.

The 500 'lounge' was pretty terrible too, I've had the misfortune to have driven several hired ones via work. One of them had words embroidered into the seats in flowing italics, some meaningless inspirational drivel lifted off the feed of someone you went to school with but don't know on Facebook, some nonsense about speaking in colours or something.