Your favourite retro car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Stanley Edwards, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

There's some beautiful cars here.

2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Standing by on channel 12

Stan mentioned the TR4 - my dad when younger had a TR4A IRS :cool:

ebay230432.jpg

---------------------

I always liked these, personally :thumbs::cool:
    renault-5-turbo-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Nine Bob Note and A380 like this.
  3. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

^^^this^^^

4. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for those old Citroen, they are quite stylish!

6. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Old mate of mine had one for a while. Air suspension freaked me out a bit the first time it happened. I seem to remember he had horse hair seats too.

7. weltweit

A friend of mine had a black one.
    I felt like a French executive of some kind when he took me for a spin in it.
    They were making quite unique cars for some time but they seem to have lost their way more recently.

8. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I could post so many more cars I love, quite a lot of them French. Even old Saabs were ace.

The old Citroen H vans and Renault 4 vans I adore. Even 2CVs. But like houses, cars have been modernised and lost all their personalities :(

dessiato and weltweit like this.
  9. weltweit

I even like some US cars, though my camera wasn't wide enough to fit all of this one in :) DSCF0962a.jpg

existentialist and Mogden like this.
  10. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

[​IMG]

If you can't stretch to a Speedster, a Karmann Ghia upload_2018-1-12_20-55-40.jpeg

marty21, Mogden and dessiato like this.
  11. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Stunningly beautiful.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

dessiato likes this.
  14. Jesus feck, does no one here know the meaning of the word RETRO???

Fucking hipsters.

Dogsauce likes this.
  15. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Right come on then. Lets get philosophical. What is retro when it isn't just old. My first major crush had one of those what editor just posted, with the wooden bits. Was that retro (in the late 90s) or am I just antique?

16. Retro = imatitive of a style of the recent past.

This thread is just full of old cars. Which look nice, but will be shit as fuck to drive, for the five minutes until they break down.

A retro car to lust after is made by Eagle, or Singer. Classic looking cars, brand new engines, steering, fucking everything that make driving pleasurable in a modern motor compared to an old piece of poop!I am sure there are others, this thread could have delivered that knowledge, but no, yet another parade of good looking but shit as fuck to own/drive cars. Ffs, Bakunin will be along in a minute with his wank-jag :mad::mad::mad:

Jeepers, what a rant. :(

17. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I would have agreed with you but the OP set out to just describe old cars, not retro.

I always thought they did an unnecessarily good job of the 'Nuova 500':

[​IMG]

Quite a lot of cues carried over, whereas the new incarnations of say the MINI or the Beetle look like wholly unrelated dog shit.

SpookyFrank and blairsh like this.
  18. mauvais

I mean, look at this:

[​IMG]

Wouldn't have been hard to do better, would it? Wankers.

The current Beetle is arguably a little closer, but also looks like absolute toilet.

A380 and bimble like this.
  19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I am sometime soon going to buy my very first car and have this problem that the only ones I like are the ones with a friendly face , which comes from round circular eyes (headlights). There's a very small range of 'retro' cars doing that (the new minis, the fiat 500 revamps) . What I really want is an actual old car.:(

20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Seeing as the Beetle is one of the 5 worst cars in history, then no, wouldn’t have been hard to do :D

21. mauvais

I could do this all night. Look at this 'homage'. You haven't made a homage if a bumper just falls off another car into the road and you happen to run into it.

[​IMG]

What is it with Germans?

22. Just cos the OP is a drunken sop doesn’t mean everyone else has to follow Stan’s lead :facepalm:

The 500 is a good looking motor, the Abarth job looks like a lot of fun to drive.

mauvais likes this.
  23. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

You don’t though.

Ultimately, Bahnhof Strasse is entirely correct. Old cars are shit. Slow, polluting, unreliable and if you have a crash you will die.

24. Get the newest car you can afford.

My youth was spent on the hard shoulder of the M4 waiting for my carburettor to dry out every 20 miles, don’t do that shit, it’s not fun, buy a modern car, you can’t fix ‘em, but you don’t fucking need to!

ska invita likes this.
  25. mauvais

Talking of homage, Alfa (or really, Maserati) made a homage by chopping up 8Cs. I don't love it but it's interesting. Disco Volante ('flying saucer'), new and old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite, eh, but in parts not bad. Plus it keeps the rain out I guess.

bimble likes this.
  26. The side looks nice enough, the front looks like Clarkson sneering.

27. mauvais

Heh. I think it looks like a demented bird. The front lights seem to have come from the Ferrari parts bin, which is probably good as parts bins go, but it still looks wrong.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  28. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

VW Golfs Mk1 and 2s have those features and broke the back of the British car industry by being ultra reliable, depending on how much you want to spend you can get a do'er up for less than a grand, spend a couple of grand on it and you have something that gets comments, looks cool and will appreciate in value.

[​IMG]

you can also get things like this extremely reasonably priced also, looked after, decently built older cars will last you years.

[​IMG]
    Pick yer modern car and try and keep up with me in the Audi short sport, you even have the choice of track.

Probably the best engine ever developed for the public, ever.

29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

No me too! I've been there and done that but still (Seriousish boyfriend one was Bedford vans from the 50s ffs. Beautiful things, looked like a teapot. Leading up to an antique fire engine, what a beauty, didn't actually go very well but had a great face. Car-bonding the second was a vw westfalia splitscreen that we thought it'd be a god idea to try to drive across death valley in August. :facepalm:
    And still I am not cured. i want the thing to be not ugly, to have some sort of a soul.

30. My car, on the A3. See ya.