1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your daily cat and kitten news

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Mation, Oct 18, 2013.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

IMG_20180224_114321.jpg Puisin in one of her favourite spots
  2. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Karl enjoying the sun

3. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Lovely markings he's got - he does a good stroppy teenage face too :D
    BigTom and PippinTook like this.
  4. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Charlie after ripping my carpet up. Milly peeping round the corner, " I had no part in it Guv'.
  5. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Radar update:

Friday he ate a few mouthfuls of felix pouch
    Saturday ate nothing

He's lively and happy and cuddly, I am knackered from doing 5x tube feeds a day :D In all seriousness I am feeling a bit depressed - not because of the time or effort involved, but because I want him to be back eating by himself. Last week I was "maybe when the stitches come out", this week I am "maybe when he's finished the course of antibiotics". He looks excited to be offered food (comes running when I call "dindins!"), then sometimes turns away before eating, sometimes eats a few mouthfuls then stops. I offer him wet food half an hour before a tube feed is due, and leave dry food out. Weighed portions so I can tell whether he is eating.

Any tips or ideas on how to get him to eat some food would be most welcome. Vet has said anything that isn't outright toxic to cats is worth trying.

Has anyone else been through this?

It's breaking my heart :(
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I'm guessing you've tried all the usual treats he loves but isn't normally allowed to have? And staples like Dreamies and tuna etc? Even if it doesn't have nutritional value finding something like that might coax him back to eating, getting him used to it again. Maybe something in the form of a paste that he can lick off a finger? A bit of butter to get the swallow reflex working? Is he drinking any water?

Has the vet said whether he's likely to be in pain? If it hurts to eat he's not going to want to I suppose.

Whatever you do, try not to beat yourself up about any of it. It's absolutely natural to be upset and depressed about it. It's emotionally exhausting as well as physically tiring.

Get well soon, Radar!
  7. Vintage Paw

A normal evening trying to use the computer.

8. Epona

Thank you for the reply and suggestions :)

We are gradually stocking up on stuff that normally we wouldn't buy for them. He's always been a bit fussy anyway which doesn't help.

The way he turns away from the food makes me think he feels sick - he runs up to the bowl, takes a few bites or sniffs at it then turns away, yawns, and licks his lips - which seems like cat nausea to me.

I think the best course of action right now (thinking sensibly rather than being emotional) is for me to not panic, carry on with the tube feeding. It could be the antibiotics he is on making him feel nauseous, he has another 3 days of that to go. If once he comes off that he is still showing signs of nausea when presented with food, I will phone the vet.

He is ok for now - he's bright and happy, and he's getting nutrition even though it isn't in the conventional way. It's just such a fucking worry. I love the little splodger so much, it is a really difficult thing to go through, emotionally. (But worth it - since he is not bothered in the slightest by having a tube in, we absolutely have to try this, hopefully he will start eating again soon)
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    PippinTook likes this.
  9. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Babs and Bel have taken a like to getting under the duvet in what is called a "cat cave". It has been a morning thing for Moe but these 2 have got in on it too!! lamb1979 is to blame!!!

10. Mumbles274

Hope he gets back to normal soon xx
  11. Epona

Thanks, it means a lot. Radar seems to be absolutely fine and normal despite everything (apart from not eating), it's me going to bits :/ So I do appreciate a positive or supportive message here and there.
    Vintage Paw and donkyboy like this.
  12. Mumbles274

Yes, I can't imagine how stressful it is Epona .. You seem to be doing all you can and as you say if he seems happy then probably on the right road
    Vintage Paw likes this.
  13. Mumbles274

Bel's tortoiseshell markings have really developed since she's been here

Babs is a floof!

Settling down for the day now!!

14. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Bel looks very like our Zoe - almost black but very definitely tortoiseshell!
    Mumbles274 likes this.
  15. Vintage Paw

Is he on steroids? That reduces inflammation but also stimulates appetite. They're usually (ime) wary to give them, because they need a long taper to manage withdrawal (which can be dangerous if done too fast), but they were an absolute godsend for Charlie.

When Charlie was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism you probably remember me saying he kept throwing up even after his T4 numbers had stabilised with the medication. I kept suggesting to the vet that his insides were irritated from all the vomiting, which was creating a cycle of vomiting, and more irritation. They didn't believe me and we had lengthy and expensive investigations into anything and everything else first. Eventually they relented and put him on steroids and the vomiting cleared up almost straight away. We tapered him off incredibly slowly, over a matter of months, and the vomiting never returned.

Perhaps worth mentioning to the vet next time you see them if he's not already on them? It seems worth a shot imo, and it's a 2 birds with 1 stone kind of thing, helping any inflammation but also stimulating his appetite so he wants to eat.
    PippinTook likes this.
  16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

17. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

18. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

Orson doing a prawn impression
  19. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

That's similar to my scenario, albeit without the claws I'm subjected to.

I've almost got the removal technique mastered, so that her jump onto the table and my one-handed lift onto the floor is one fluid motion.
    PippinTook, Me76 and Vintage Paw like this.
  20. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

[​IMG] cats are sat *next to* the knocked over piles of washing looking guilty....
  21. Me76

We had a pile of clean washing on the bed yesterday while I was in it (that's how I roll) and I had to stop Orson from licking the OH's jeans. I have no idea why he was doing it.
    PippinTook likes this.
  22. Me76

When ours were kittens and we were training them not to get up on the sofa while we were eating I would eat one handed so I could do the pick up and put back down in a timely way without stoping me eating food.
    stavros, PippinTook and Epona like this.
  23. Epona

Will ask the vet. The only thing he is on at the moment are antibiotics - doxycycline - known side effects oesophagal irritation/inflammation (although since it is going through the tube it is being flushed straight into his stomach with food), and nausea. He has 1 dose left tomorrow.

So what I intend to do is, if he isn't showing any interest in food by Wednesday, I will phone the vet and see whether to give him a mirtazapine (for its appetite stimulant and anti-nausea properties) - we were giving him that every other day last week and have some left over when the vet suggested we stop the dose for the time being.

(Edit to add: I do want to check with the vet before giving that again, because he was readmitted as an emergency anorexia case after not eating for nearly 2 days - so it may be that the vet will want to check liver function before suggesting any other medications)
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    PippinTook and Vintage Paw like this.
  24. Epona

In another sorry twist to this tale, his bandage slipped (bandages and cats do not mix tbh) and the healthy scabbing around the stoma came off and it now looks all raw.

I cleaned it with saline (seriously, holding a cat for that and doing a neck bandage should be an olympic sport - even a really sweet cat who normally gives you slow blinks when you're holding him still for medical reasons goes WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING when you put saline on something the scabs have come off) and put a new gauze and bandage on and will check it again when Nate gets back from his night shift, to determine whether it looks clean or whether he needs to go back to the vet.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  25. lamb1979

lamb1979 Well-Known Member

Bel's face says it all...❤❤

Attached Files:

High Voltage, ddraig, Me76 and 7 others like this.
  26. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Vastra has been staring outside and twitching her tail angrily at the falling white dots today. :D In between getting between gsv and his computer screen.
    Me76 and PippinTook like this.
  27. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Woohoo, my cat is a HMHB fan!

28. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

every bed sheet change, Chloe jumps onto the bed and lies downs. she enjoys the feel and smell of fresh bed sheets

29. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Haha caught Toby in mid yawn.

30. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.