1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your daily cat and kitten news

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Mation, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I'm quite strict, one of mine used to have a tendency to bully the others away from their bowls when I first got him, and had a tendency towards weight gain.

How old is Daisy? If she's a middle aged or older cat and is constantly hungry and not putting on weight, it would be worth getting her thyroid checked.

Another thing you could try is some sort of puzzle-feeder? Stimulating a cat's mind and making it work a bit for food mimics the hunt/eat process they would naturally follow and can be useful in cats that do not self-regulate their intake - the food seems to satisfy them more, and they are also getting some exercise.

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I just free feed them. It's kinda self limiting as they often sulk at the days choice of wet and they don't get any dry till the tin is finished.

3. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

She's 9 months, she's mostly on dry food and I weigh out half for her bowl in the morning and she has the other half on a puzzle tray. Plus she has a few treats in a ball.

Sometimes I give her some wet food she doesn't really like and she won't eat it, despite whinging for food. I think she's a boredom eater :hmm:

4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Odin not even trying to look dignified.

20180129_180121.jpg

ddraig, stavros, ebonics and 13 others like this.
  5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

They grow up fast, don't they!

Bob chilling as a kitteling.

[​IMG]

Bob with his first 'real' meal.

[​IMG]

Bob chilling this week.

[​IMG]

Bob chilling with big bro.

[​IMG]

ddraig, stavros, Red Cat and 18 others like this.
  6. Epona

Oh if she's only 9 months she still has at least 1 growth spurt to come and is probably quite active, I took Sonic to the vet around that age and was told he was getting overweight, of course he grew loads in the following few months and ended up really gangly (which is how he should be as an Oriental Shorthair).

Given her age, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

7. Thora

Would you give her more food if she wants it? I give her the top end of the packet guide for her weight (she's 3kg and gets top end of 3-5kg) and I kind of assume the packet guidance is going to be generous.

8. Epona

Honestly, given her young age and the likelihood that she will grow more, I wouldn't restrict her food - now if she does really start overeating and starts heading towards obese, that is the time to worry about restricting - IMO :)

9. Saul Goodman

I free feed my lot. None of them seem to binge and none are overweight. It also seems to stop them 'foraging' for food on my dinner plate.
    Obviously, if any of them started getting overweight, I'd have to look at another solution but they're free to come and go as they please, and they spend a fair bit of time outside, so they are likely burning off a lot of calories.

10. Epona

Aye, same here (they have a morning main meal of wet, but later in the day I give a second meal of dry which is left down) - although I mentioned Jakey's binge eating and weight gain when we first got him, once he realised that he didn't have to compete with the others for food (took a couple of years mind you) he now self-regulates his intake and stays at an appropriate weight for his frame and breed.

Now I do see some obese cats around, and hear of plenty of "second dinner Sam" types who visit multiple homes so clearly not all do the same - but yeah, don't treat it as if it is a problem unless it is a problem if that makes sense - just keep an eye on them to make sure they stay healthy, restrict if they are gaining too much.

11. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

I’d give her more given she’s young and growing. What dry food do you give? Switching to a higher protein one may satisfy her more. Jangles has mostly wet food though sometimes goes off it so she has Applaws dry. It’s not cheap but lasts forever. She eats cheap shite wet food as that’s the only wet she’ll eat and she doesn’t eat the dry for long before wanting the wet again. It’s a shame as her coat is noticeably softer after just a couple of meals of Applaws.

12. Thora

She has Applaws dry usually and Applaws wet as a treat. And some Lily's Kitchen treats. Cereals play havok with her stomach so she's on the expensive stuff. She begs for the stuff she likes but if I put cheap (gluten free) food down she would rather starve.

13. Saul Goodman

This is exactly what I've found. Once they realise they don't have to fight for the food, they tend to eat small amounts across the day.

14. Epona

Is that a real mouse and did he kill it himself? It's nearly half his size bless him :D I thought Radar was an early developer in terms of predatory skills, but his first successful hunt was when he was a little older than that.

2 of mine (Radar and Jakey) are good hunters when the opportunity presents itself - Sonic, however, uses intelligence over energy - I have seen him watch Radar spend a good 20 minutes hunting a large moth, only to swoop in when it was finally incapacitated and eat it - leaving Radar searching the carpet for the next hour wondering where his prize had disappeared to...

donkyboy and Me76 like this.
  15. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Was having a lovely lie-in this morning when Mrs SFM woke me saying that my help was needed downstairs as the cats seemed to have cornered something under the glass cabinet. So, still in my pants, I went to see what was up and discovered a bloody huge rat wedged between the back of the cabinet and the wall. I moved the cabinet away from the wall, the rat made a run for it under the cd rack, Bob started chasing it but it took refuge behind Mrs SFM’s writing bureau. That was moved out from the wall so then the little bugger was running along the skirting board pursued by Bob and yrs truly with an upturned bin. The rat managed to elude us both and ran into the kitchen behind the cooker. At this point Vic (Bob’s brother and the better mouser by far) sauntered in and disappeared behind the cupboard after the poor rodent but emerged rat-less. So I popped to the shop and bought “The Big Nipper”, baited it with peanut butter and now we wait. This isn’t what Saturday mornings are all about. No cat treats for those two today I can tell you :mad:

PippinTook likes this.
  16. Saul Goodman

Mum brought him the mouse. She used to bring mice back for them every night but until that night Bob's sister, Dora, was always the first on the scene and always got the mouse.
    They didn't start catching their own until a couple of months later, and they still bring back presents for me. :D

17. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Took me a minute to realise you weren't talking about your mum.

Thought, "that's a bit weird." :D

Manter, moose, Chz and 7 others like this.
  18. Saul Goodman

:D
    It's strange that mum is the only cat without a name. She's just mum.
    I think it's because she was feral when she first arrived, and by the time I'd tamed her sufficiently to take food from my hand, I realised she had three kittens hiding under a bush, so she just became mum and it stuck.

Mumbles274, oryx, scifisam and 3 others like this.
  19. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

Thank god for that, I've been thinking does she breed them for the cats.! . :facepalm: i conjured up all kind of weird images in my head :D.

PippinTook and Vintage Paw like this.
  20. Oriole

Oriole Well-Known Member

I don't think ours was taught by his mum with stunned prey. Hasn't brought any presents.

PippinTook and Saul Goodman like this.
  21. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Moonie taught Sunny to catch mice and they have a particular meow they use to alert us to their successes. Their many, many successes.

There's a cat on the Celia Hammond Facebook page who has the most adorable angry face. He's fine with kids and cats and is named Roy :D So tempting!

oryx, PippinTook and Saul Goodman like this.
  22. Saul Goodman

I appear to have, somehow, adopted another!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This brings the tally to 12 cats! :eek::D:facepalm:

KatyF, izz, stavros and 13 others like this.
  23. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

12 :eek: 7 was way too many for me when I had all the kittens. 3 seems good though.
    One of my friends took one of the kittens, Beats, and she's on holiday so I'm going round to feed him and her other cat, poncho.

IMG_20180210_193603.jpg

KatyF, izz, Vintage Paw and 4 others like this.
  24. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Please delete this post before you know who sees it!!

25. Epona

12... and 7... (Saul Goodman and BigTom )

3 is 1 more than I intended (sometimes stuff happens, it worked out fine because the 3rd one, Jakey, and Sonic are best buddies and pretty much inseperable).

But fuck me it is expensive. With 3 cats who are no longer in the first flush of youth, every year someone seems to fucking need surgery or a dental or some other expensive shit. Even with insurance, it can be a scary amount of money, especially when they get older and the excess on the insurance is extended to include a % of the medical bill, and insurance doesn't cover dental work anyway.

My most recent vet bill was £3,459 (bow down in praise of petplan, because we only had to pay £820 of it. Only, hahaha!)
    Last year it was Sonic's dental work which was about £500 (not covered by insurance) and the major thing before that was Jakey's cancer scare (turned out to be benign thank fuck), which cost several hundred quid (not insured, because he came to us when he was older, so premiums would have been a lot higher, decided it best to just put some cash away every month in case)

How on earth do you mange that sort of cost with more cats than I have? Must have a well paid job or a lottery win or something :D

(I hope everyone here knows that I love them all dearly, and not take my moaning about vet bills the wrong way!)

(Oh also in case anyone thinks that this is the cost of having pedigree cats, it is Radar the mogster that is the expensive one with huge medical bills and needing heart scans and is riddled with fucking allergies - love him to bits but ffs!)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Calamity1971 and PippinTook like this.
  26. lamb1979

lamb1979 Well-Known Member

To late..ive seen it..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

27. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

OMG I dunno how you do it! Doesn’t your house absolutely stink? Props to you for managing them all.

28. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I only had 7 for a couple of months, I'm down to 3 now. No kids is how I could afford 7, dunno that I could cope with the vet bills though if I'd have kept that many.

PippinTook likes this.
  29. Epona

I don't have kids either, certainly wouldn't be able to afford cats if I did :D

Honestly, when they were young it was easy, nothing much went wrong with them (and what did go wrong was mostly trivial, Radar got something in his eye that was easily flushed out by the vet, Sonic hung off the top of a door that had a door closer and bruised a few of his toes and a short course of anti-inflammatories for 3 days was useful so that he could walk) - but now they are all pushing on a bit, it's getting a bit pricey. They're family though, I love them, I'd do anything for them, and make sure they get treatment as and when needed.

UnderAnOpenSky, PippinTook and BigTom like this.
  30. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

I'm trying to estimate how much one cat will cost me ...
    I've been wanting a cat for ages now but there's nothing left over after the bills are paid.

I had a cat and a dog years ago...they both lived to 17 and 18 respectively. But it's now 15 years since I had a pet. My last trip to a vet cost 65 quid for an operation and overnight way back in 1998.
    I think vets must be very expensive now... judging by the amounts mentioned for different procedures.