Young professionals who move into Brixton and then complain about long established venues...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 16, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tonight I learnt that some fucking shithead young professional couple who have moved into the new Lexadon flats on Coldharbour Lane have started repeatedly complaining to the council about the noise from the 414.

If you don't like the noise from a much-loved club that has been around from before when you were born, don't move into the fucking area, you self-entitled, selfish, arrogant pieces of shit.

2. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

It's quite uncanny that these types don't notice the bars and clubs until they have fucking moved in .Next they will want the train line moved 10 yards east :facepalm: Cunts.

3. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

They want edginess but with a very blunt edge. A gentle edge made of Plasticine or scones.

Reminds me a bit of people complaining and whining in letters to local paper about noise of student union, but a bit of investigation indicated that the people whining had moved in relatively recently. They would really have had to be extremely dim not to realise that there might be a few drunk and generally out of heads students around at weekends.

4. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Tell em closing venues destroy house values in the mid-long term.

5. Sea Star

Sea Star Keep back! Devils!

Same thing is happening with the railways. People are buying new luxury flats built on former railway land and then complaining about train noise :facepalm:

editor, sealion, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  6. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

In one of the villages back home in Lincolnshire a couple complained about the noise from the church bells. I suppose they though moving next to a hundreds of years old church would be more peaceful than it is.

Years ago I lived near church. The noise, very late at night, from people leaving wedding receptions in the church hall was very intrusive. But we'd moved there so had to put up with it.

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  7. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

We lived right beside a tube station and got used to it relatively fast, it was the people outside at night that was the main cause of noise

dessiato likes this.
  8. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

We get it here, too. When I worked in the council's call centre there was a couple from London that regularly complained about the smell/noise from the neighbouring chicken farm. Agricultural smells and noise in a rural area? My God!

9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I live on a flight path. You can hear A380s coming well before they are visible. You get used to it.

Hasn't stopped loads of people on the opposite 'posh' side of town constantly complaining about late night flights that arrive due to being delayed elsewhere.

Knobjockeys.

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh wonder if A380 could creep up on you like a ninja

or perhaps he could, surprising - nay startling - you

existentialist and cupid_stunt like this.
  11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It's happening up and down the country. Stupid, self obsessed, entitled, cunts.

12. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Is there any evidence for this, or is it just hearsay?

13. Pickman's model

yes

14. Pickman's model

Maggot likes this.
  15. Pickman's model

https:/ /w ww.f aceb ook.com/Sl eeplessBrix/

16. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

that facebook group seems to consist of about 3 people moaning about a roller shutter :D

17. existentialist

existentialist It could always be worse.

(((A380 )))

18. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

Try googling "venues closing noise complaints" and see for yourself. It's not hard.

ddraig likes this.
  19. Pickman's model

20. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

21. Pickman's model

upload_2018-5-16_10-4-37.png
    ie they're not just complaining about your actual disturbance but also about the normal din of london, seeing that in itself as a disturbance

sealion likes this.
  22. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I know it happens generally, just wondering about this specific case.

23. Sea Star

Sea Star Keep back! Devils!

well, I know it happens on the railways in London because I see the specific complaints. Though I must admit to being a bit guilty of the other thing, having moved in to the edgy Urban district of Colliers Wood in mid 90s, and my property backed on to a pub. They started having big parties running in to the early hours and I made a complaint. It was upheld too as the pub had broken the terms of its license by staying open so late. But then I moved to Colliers Wood with the expectation that it wouldn't be as noisy as Brixton or somewhere else with a lot of venues and known for it's nightlife.

24. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

I would imagine they know what Brixton is like for nightlife and bars, it's trumpeted in almost every lifestyle article written about the place. It's also part of the estate agents blurb when trying to sell a place there.

25. HelloNBD

HelloNBD Here Today

New residents definitely shouldn't be able to complain about existing venues and activity.

Their age and the fact they are 'professionals' shouldn't come into it though.

I agree that gentrification has attracted a lot of unpalatable entitled folk to Brixton (we unfortunately have a bunch of selfish a-holes that have moved in above us) but not all young professional people are baddies and pigeonholing will create more of a divide.

26. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Might be loud but sadly not that often...

27. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog Well-Known Member

I’m in total agreement with the OP.

There are twats round here complaining about seagulls

I’ll throw a “what if” in

If a venue is breaking long standing, agreed licence terms is it valid to complain?

28. Pickman's model

longstanding agreed licence terms?

agreed with who?

which terms are being breached?

have you raised it with the establishment in question?

29. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

The council?

30. Pickman's model

yeh. those aren't longstanding agreed licence terms but the actual conditions of the licence.

sealion likes this.