YGAM! Problem Gambling Awareness Match, Saturday 5th Dec v Needham Market

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by GOP, Nov 26, 2015.

1. GOP

GOP Member

Gambling...all fun and games?

Through sponsorship deals and advertisements, football and betting have become synonymous in recent years. Combined with an increased use of technology, gambling has never been more freely available and prevalent among young people. For some, this can become a problem...

YGAM!, the Young Gamblers Education Trust, is a charity established in 2014 to inform, educate and safeguard young people against the dangers of problem gambling. The idea was borne out of founder, Lee Willows’ own struggle with addiction.

Dulwich Hamlet FC’s match against Needham Market, on Saturday 5th December will be the first awareness event of its kind. Rather than saying “no” to gambling, the event is designed to highlight the related dangers.

The Football Association rule E8 dictates that a club’s players, officials and staff are not allowed to bet on any football related matter. However, this has not stopped the large scale association between the gambling and football industries. YGAM! and Dulwich Hamlet FC believe that football has a safeguarding responsibility towards it’s younger participants and spectators.

As part of the legacy of the event, YGAM! have pledged an awareness workshop to Dulwich Hamlet and it’s youth teams. They have designed a syllabus to be nationally integrated in to schools physical social health education (PSHE) lessons. They will also be on hand at the match to sign post and provide supporters with more information.

www.ygam.org

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Identify yourself please.

editor likes this.
  3. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Everybody uses different names and you ask somebody to tell you their identity. You may not know them even if they did.

4. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

That could be the match my fiver on Hamlet to win the league at 5-1 comes in!

5. editor

editor hiraethified

Is this official then? I haven't seen anything.

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I'm not making announcements supposedly on behalf of gambling education bodies.

7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I enjoy a press release as much as the next man.

9. Balbi

Balbi Hey, Dean Yager!

Tenner says it works :cool:

10. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Is this a good thread to promote the 12th Man raffle happening on the same day?

11. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

Is this a good thread for me to discuss the concepts of shallow and deep play and how we effectively gamble our social capital at football matches?

12. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Nothing on the club web site. Dulwich Mishi do you know anything about this?

13. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Yes indeed I do...it is all above board and official. Something will be going up on the website later today, it's just that this new poster on here has 'beaten me to it'.

I am not sure, but would guess the person is George, who is on the Football Club Committee; though the workshop idea is a 'pledge' at the moment, and not 'firmed up' yet, but hopefully will be.

With regard to their work, as I understand it they are not against gambling full stop, but raise awareness of the dangers of gambling; two totally different things, albeit related.

By the way, B.I.G. - please feel free to identify yourself for anyone who may not know you... ;)

Jamie Wyatt, AndyDHFC and Lucy Fur like this.
  14. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A useful reply :) Now I have retired from trolling you and taken up forum policing I need to maintain my secret identity.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get a list of the names of the Football Committee? Identify yourselves please.

Rather more useful I would think than matching forum names to real life.

16. Dulwich Mishi

Yes, there should be, and will be...

But please bear in mind that everything on the official Club website is posted by volunteers, who all work full-time, so updates must be done in their spare time.

Me, personally, I do not have my own computer at home, so have to rely on computers in libraries and internet cafes...

So it is inevitable that every single bit of information is co-ordinated properly, but I like to think we do ok.

The actual 'event' to publicise the work of this charity was agreed many months ago...the Club have lots of community projects like this 'on the go', some come to fruition, some don't... but we publicise them in the run-up to them, hence why this link-up for next week is to be publicised over the next few days, ans will be mentioned somewhere in tomorrow's programme as well.

Do you really think that someone from a registered charity would come on here and post such an 'link' without it being true?

I'm surprised at the cynicism around this... Surely a Football Club & support base such as ours that prides itself as being very forward thinking, all-embracing and 'thinking outside the box' should be leading on things like this, which affect many people?

Jamie Wyatt and AndyDHFC like this.
  17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

18. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Fair points.

19. Lucy Fur

Not cynical, just curious. And, you normaly have your finger on the pulse, so you seemed the best person to ask. Cheers for the reply :)

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  20. Dulwich Mishi

As I said, I am assuming that it is George who has posted...BUT he is posting on here in his 'charity hat', not in a Football Club Committee one.

I cannot speak for others, but the majority of the Committee do not post on social media. Griff does; Liam does; as well as myself.

The full list of the Club Committee are listed in every home programme. The Club Committee is as follows:

Chairman: Jack Payne
    Vic-Chairman: John Leahy (widely known by his nickname 'Primo')
    Chief Executive: Martin Eede
    Press Secretary & Programme Editor: John Lawrence
    Commercial Department: Liam Hickey, Andy Greig
    Community Development: Mishi Morath
    Webmaster/Social Media Manager: Paul Griffin
    Committee Members: Bill Azzi, Shaun Dooley, George Parnavelas

And some are listed, with mugshots, on the official Club website here:

Contact - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

I am guessing more are not listed due to 'constraints' with the Pitchero website.

I am pretty sure that you know most of the people who serve on the Club Committee. If there are any you do not know, and would like to know who they are, I am happy to point them out to you at any future match that we are both at; an offer that applies to any of our fellow supporters, who are not sure who the Football Club Officials and Committee Members are.

B.I.G likes this.
  21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

What a great reply :)

Thank you.

22. Dulwich Mishi

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  23. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

upload_2015-11-27_16-43-33.png

Cyclodunc, Invisible Steve and B.I.G like this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

vornstyle76 likes this.
  25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Saw this article in the guardian today Britain's newest gambling addiction charity funded by betting firms

"
    Britain’s newest gambling addiction charity has been accused of serious conflict of interest over funding from the betting industry and the involvement of gambling executives on its board.

The Young Gamblers Education Trust, which also operates under the trading name YGAM, was set up two years ago by reformed gambling addict Lee Willows as a private company and acquired charitable status earlier this year.

Since its incorporation in August 2014, it has expanded and taken on a range of industry figures as trustees and ambassadors including its chair of trustees, Dan Waugh, a partner at Regulus Partners, a gambling consultancy, and Dan Rough, the founder of an online scratchcard firm.

Campaigners have criticised the charity and raised concerns over the involvement of people from within the gambling industry"

26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Apparently George Parnavelas is no longer involved and resigned from the board of YGAM?

27. Lucy Fur

Awkward...what were the odds on that eh?

Cyclodunc, sankara, Scutta and 2 others like this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

Lucy Fur likes this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

I'll give you 5 to 1. Stick your money on the table.

Lucy Fur likes this.
  30. GOP

GOP Member

Contrary to what the article states, I am no longer a trustee and resigned this position earlier this year. However, I am still a supporter having delivered a number of problem gambling awareness workshops in my capacity as a youth worker, which I found to be very beneficial. It is an issue that is not highlighted in the education system and seems to have immersed itself in football culture.

I did not have a particular issue with industry representatives involvement with the organisation as the stance was never anti gambling. As something that isn't going to go away any time soon we felt it was better that us 'lay' people could be in their ear rather than the other way around! I was not so comfortable with the majority of funding coming from the industry though just as I wouldn't be if Dulwich Hamlet were sponsored by betting companies.

Regardless, all this information was available all along from the organisations website I provided a link for above - so this Guardian article doesn't provide any particular revelations.

Please contact me in person at a match if you would like to discuss further.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.