Yes - BR was rubbish ..

Discussion in 'transport' started by davesgcr, Dec 30, 2017.

1. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Can get a bit emotional about this ....my very good mate can identify about half of these guys on the Great Northern and I suspect that I got my job as a Management Trainee because I honestly said I wanted to provide the best possible service to the community. Which I think I did - but on the way entered a magnificent cadre of good friends.....

Badgers, ska invita, Slo-mo and 5 others like this.
  2. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

2018 the year of the train

:hmm:

Badgers and davesgcr like this.
  3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I always find it interesting, as I have an annual season ticket, the difference between rail staff. Some are lovely and use their discretion when passengers break the absurd rules, but some are total knobheads.

I'd recommend The Good Conductor by Bernard Hare as an illustration of how BR staff can do good. :)

Badgers likes this.
  4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

All part of the community - still some excellent staff out there .....

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Where's bungle when you really need him

6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Working on public transport should be something to be proud of, a respected position in society, making the vital infrastructure of the country work, helping people along their daily lives - in some countries it is.

Helps if you never had Thatcher, and everything hasn't been sold off to people who make it clear that they're interested in fucking people as much as possible, I suppose. Or even just the transformation from "passenger" to "customer".

Badgers, JimW, Poi E and 11 others like this.
  7. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Just remember , none of this was posed , sort of covert camera shots - the confident conductor striding through the train was an ex Kings Cross freight guard , an ambassador for Inter City no longer with us -an emblem of so many others. ..the Railmen helping with luggage would then have been on not much more than £50 a week ....

8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Put it this way - I was incredibly (and still am - as many of my retired mates and ladies) , to have been part of it. Not Thatcher - but Major ..

Badgers likes this.
  9. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Pissed me off to.

10. MrSki

Badgers likes this.
  11. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

[​IMG]

Not me - but a hugely respected Assistant Station Manager at Crewe - a very good friend who I would trust with my life ...and in total and utter control , with a tremendous customer and operations focus. Let him alone speak for the unified railway we once had, - F==ck the privateers , we should have just been left to get on with it , with maybe a bit more money that is presently wasted on "franchising" and the "contractual" railway.

Badgers, JimW, equationgirl and 4 others like this.
  12. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Nothing gives greater proof of people/frontliners being decent, tho the system/management they operate in being shit, than dealing with train personnel.

Whoppingly romaticising the thing, but I don't think it's a job (as conductor/platfrom staff) you go into unless you are genuine about helping people get from a to b (and dealing with Joe Public in general).

Put up with shit services, no information from control, shortage of drivers, procedures designed to prevent you from obtaining correct information (especially refunds, the cunts)...

Badgers and existentialist like this.
  13. MrSki

And another thing whilst I am on a rant, How come it takes longer on a lot of train routes than it did in the Nineteenth fucking century? :mad::mad::mad:

Badgers likes this.
  14. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Do please me give me some non Daily Mail examples ..and I will try and honestly answer ....

15. MrSki

Badgers likes this.
  16. TruXta

TruXta tired

I remember a couple of years ago the Orpington to Victoria service was down. I asked the driver of the train sat in the station what he could tell me that was different from the info given by the travel apps. He said he wasn't allowed to look at any of them and that I was better informed than him. Genuinely flabbergasted at that.

Badgers likes this.
  17. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

The worst problems BR had were the cronic underfunding, beeching and a certain intrancigence from the unions regarding modernisation of working practices and deffiniately on the freight side the decision to stick with crap 4 wheel plain bearing vacuum or no brake wagons when in the 1950s BR should for 4 axle roller bearings and air brakes American style wagons and let the road hauliers have the pickup/branch line goods traffic

Badgers likes this.
  18. gosub

gosub ~#

ska invita and Fez909 like this.
  19. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger There's only one of me!

This is the age of the train.

Doh!

Badgers likes this.
  20. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I love how that ends with a train being canceled....i never clocked it before but We're Getting There also suggests BR is a bit shit, but trying our best.
    Compare that dose of humility to the bravado of modern advertising, and we're your fake best mates twitter messages

21. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Spot on ! - not perfect , by any means , but trying - ....I certainly did , and followed the advice given which was "never turn your back on a departing train (i.e check it) , and always engage (99% of the public are OK !)

Badgers and Bahnhof Strasse like this.