1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xinjiang, prc lab for repression

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Pickman's model, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

not-bono-ever and Badgers like this.
  2. Oof.

Old article but indicates that if you stray 300 or so from your usual routine, the popo will be on your case. I think I posted something about the rollout of facial recognition a little while ago - seems to have been used a lot in the recent New year migration - demonstrating the amount of data processing that is involved with this project- and crucially , being heavily funded.

China testing facial-recognition surveillance system in Xinjiang – report
    Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  3. Pickman's model

4. BTW, I was considering a trip up there last year when I spent some time in the PRC - I did some internet research before I went ( its not easy to do it when you are actually in the PRC) - CNN and Conde Naste seemed to think it was the great undiscovered destination and the next hot place to visit. like lolz
    Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Pickman's model

i'd quite like to go myself but i suspect the chinese have my number.
    likesfish likes this.
  6. iflytek are in the news at the minute- tech company involved in AI and shit

Chinese robot becomes world's first machine to pass medical exam[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn

lol funny robot doing exams

iFlytek developing AI-enabled system for legal purposes - Chinadaily.com.cn

using AI to speed up judicial cases to suggest sentences for the guilty ( yes really )

oh...and this

China Collecting “Voice Pattern” Samples to Establish National Biometric Database

being used with gusto in Xingjiang to listen in on conversations..

"Similar purchases for voice pattern collection systems were also made in 2016 by the police bureaus in Xinjiang, a repressive region with 11 million ethnic minority Uyghurs, following the “Notice to Fully Carry Out the Construction of Three-Dimensional Portraits, Voice Pattern, and DNA Fingerprint Biometrics Collection System” (关于全面开展三维人像、声纹、DNA指纹生物信息采集系统建设相关工作的通知). A local police station reported that front-line officers are given monthly quotas for biometric collection"
  7. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Well-Known Member

There are reports that up to a million Uighurs have been sent to re-education camps.

They are going full blown Nazi under Xi.

China in the 21st Century is to Charlie Brooker what the Soviet Union was to George Orwell in the 20th. One was the potential horrors of the industrial age, the other the potential horrors of the digital age.
  8. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

9. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I'd like to go as well, but i suspect that homeland security have my number.
  10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Uighur people also face a lot of discrimination when they go to live and/or work elsewhere in the country, to top it all off.