Xiaomi Products

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by cybershot, Sep 11, 2017.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I bought one of their version of the fitbit. I couldn't get it set up. I googled and it said something about having to pretend you're in China to set it up then change to UK. I can't remember if I tried that or not. If I did it didn't work. So there you go.

3. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their gear looks lovely.

5. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I have a Redmi Note 4

Absolutely no complaints. £150. Arrived without any problems, just linked up my google account as I would with something from Samsung that cost three times as much. Perfect.

6. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

That's what mine is in English I think, great little phone for not much money. First time I've ever had a fingerprint reader thing and that's worked really easily.

Badgers and tommers like this.
  7. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

I have the mi5. Was a choice between that and a sim only contract, or getting an s8 on contract. Very glad I went for the Xiaomi.

Badgers and tommers like this.
  8. tommers

Yeah man. Same here. And it's got 64GB storage and a decent processor and all sorts of stuff.

Badgers and JimW like this.
  9. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Their headphones are excellent value, but buy direct from their website as there are too many ebay/amazon fakes about.

Badgers likes this.
  10. Albert

Albert Well-Known Member

I have a xiaomi mi max. It's great, no problems and I actually really like miui. Has an fm receiver which is a big plus. The only downer is the lack of b20 (I think, which o2/giffgaff use for 4g).
    Highly recommend, low price, good hardware.

Badgers likes this.
  11. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Are you guys buying direct from China then? Any particular site, or the actual vendor? Do you have to re:flash the phones with an English install of Android?

What's the shipping times like?

Laptop would probably be easier to just reinstall Windows, assuming you can change the language of the BIOS?

My history with poorly translated instruction manuals from Chinese vendors usually leaves me in a land of confusion.

12. tommers

I bought from banggood. I was prepared to install Google and whatever but didn't have to. It was in English, just put in my google account details.

Can't remember delivery times but nothing awful.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Fingerprint 5.5-inch 4GB RAM 64GB MTK Helio X20 Deca-core 4G Smartphone

13. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

I have a Xiaomi phone. It's fine. It was cheap and I'm not really invested in the idea of a smartphone beyond being able to use a couple of simple apps, so any limitations it might have are not something I've noticed.

My Chinese students pity me for owning it. They express sadness that I'd buy one. They wish I had an iPhone or Samsung as they clearly think befits me. :D

14. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I have an Mi5s, and a house full of other stuff from them.
    Their gear is very good, and the prices are even better.
    The Mi6 is supposed to be an amazing phone, on par with the best offerings from Apple and Samsung.

15. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I've got A Note 2, bought from Gearbest running a Cyanogenmod Rom from XDA.
    It works, it was cheap, the only problem is poor battery life, but that's the Rom, and I have 4 batteries anyway.

Badgers likes this.
  16. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

They seem to crop up a fair bit on HUKD. I just ordered a Mi2 fitness band of theirs as a comparison to the free one I got with my phone. I hear good things about the device and it was £10.33 or something ridiculous. Some people I know rate the Mi2 as better than their FitBits which surprised me. They say they do stuff the FB doesn't - unsure what exactly as I didn't delve too deep.
    [e2a: ahh, £10.80 Xiaomi Mi Band 2 Smart Watch for Android iOS £10.80 Delivered with code @ Gearbest - HotUKDeals]

Their phones always catch my attention when they are mentioned on HUKD as they look good, seem cheap for the specs etc. but I always am concerned about whether they'll work in the UK as they seem to have a smaller range of bands they operate on.

I'd like summat like a Samsung Note 8 but can't afford that so would look at one of their products when my contract is up.

Badgers likes this.
  17. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

The one thing I do notice with my Xiaomi is that when I go home to England, I struggle to pick up 4G. I don't know if this is because:

a) I don't really know how to get 4G in the UK :hmm:
    b) There's something about my phone which is limiting me.
    c) 4G isn't very good in the UK?

Badgers and Throbbing Angel like this.
  18. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

As mentioned above, you need to make sure that the phone supports whatever band your mobile co uses. When I bought mine, I took the opportunity to switch to 3, cos Giff gaff (and by extension, I assume O2 also) don't operate on the proper band for my phone.

You can check a website like gsmarena to see what bands the phone supports and Google yer operator to check to compatibility.

Yu_Gi_Oh and Throbbing Angel like this.
  19. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

This is incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I kind of wondered if there was some kind of conspiracy of silence about how shit the 4G was back home, so I'm glad that this is what it was. I'll make sure not to buy and 02 SIM next time. :D :facepalm:

Badgers and Throbbing Angel like this.
  20. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

yes I had to give up Giffgaff when I got the Xiaomi. Went for IDMobile which is a cheap online only bit of carphone warehouse and uses 3.

tommers and Throbbing Angel like this.
  21. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

so is there a way of using gif gaf with certain models?

22. Throbbing Angel

You need to look for LTE Band 20 (800MHz) in the specification. Or so a quick.google tells.me.anyway.

Double check this, obvs.

ska invita likes this.
  23. Throbbing Angel

24. Saul Goodman

If you buy a Xiaomi phone, the first thing to do is head over to Xiaomi European Community & Store and install their ROM. All of the crap that comes installed from China is removed, and it's an official ROM with OTA updates.
    They even show you how to unlock/root the phone.

Throbbing Angel and ska invita like this.
  25. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I used mine with a GiffGaff sim (dual sim) when I was last in the UK and got 4G fine too.

26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

tbh I thought it was awful, uninstalled it and went back to Cyanogen even without the security updates.

27. Saul Goodman

What did you find to be awful?
    I'm running their version of Nougat on a Xiaomi Mi5s and an Mi6, and both are running sweet.
    I've used pretty much every variation of every OS possible on all of the phones I've bought from China. Some are crap and some are really crap. LineageOS usually works well but the vast majority of ROMs available for most phones are riddled with bugs.
    What phone do you have that's still running CyanogenMod? Won't it run LineageOS?

28. Throbbing Angel

Ohhhhhhh, so this is why I can't get it working. FFS.

Will try again and report back.

Badgers and quimcunx like this.
  29. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Redmi Note 2 with CM12. I'm not aware of a stable Lineage ROM, though that doesn't mean there isn't one. What I have is sufficiently bug free (or I've forgotten about the bugs), it does all I want. Battery life is poor, but I've got 4 batteries, so that's no more than a minor irritation. The phone is a couple of years old and has a Mediatech processor for which the full source code is not available. When I replace it I'll read up a bit better first, but then having said that, it was cheap, it's the third Chinese phone I've had and the best, and I enjoyed the little community that built up around the developers, before they all bought new phones and went elsewhere.

As for MIUI: I was confronted with a privacy statement that had to be agreed to in order to open the gallery and look at my own photos. There were other things as well that led to a complete distrust.

Badgers likes this.
  30. Saul Goodman

So, with all due respect, you have absolutely zero reason to discredit my previous post which you appeared to discredit without foundation?
    Just because an app asks for permissions is no reason to discredit the ROM. In my experience, all MIUI ROMs from the xiaomi.eu forum have been 100% legit, and way, way better than the pre-installed ROM.
    I'll gladly listen to valid reasons as to why you believe the ROMs from the .eu site shouldn't be installed, but you don't seem to have provided a valid reason as to why a "cyanogenmod" ROM is better than a MIUI ROM, and bearing in mind that cyanogenmod ROMs are dead in the water, and have been replaced by LineageOS ROMs, then if you're still running a cyanogenmod ROM, it's most likely an extremely outdated ROM, and if it hasn't been superseded by a LineageOS ROM, there's probably a good reason.

In a nutshell... If the source hasn't been released for your phone's kernel, then unless you're running an official ROM, the best you can hope for (assuming you're running a non-stock ROM), is a ROM that's full of bugs.

Basically, if there isn't a LineageOS ROM for your phone, it's for a reason, and the reason is that the kernel source hasn't been released, so nobody can make a working ROM that isn't just a mish-mash of bits that may or may not work with your phone.

Without the source for the kernel, you can't make a properly working ROM, and the best you will get is the manufacturer's own ROM.