Xi Jinping becomes Chairman for life

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Rimbaud, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Well-Known Member

Fuckfuckfuck.

Possibly about to blow up in China.

Xi Jinping just abolished term limits. Xinhua News tried to slip it through quietly on a Saturday, hiding it amongst a long list of boring reforms, but it has gone viral. The reaction has been WAAY bigger than I expected. My Wechat, usually a politics free zone, is nothing but this news.

In particular, there has been a viral post saying "on such a big joyous occasion, we should have another weeks holiday!"

Call for protest? General wildcat strike? Revolution? Seems like it might be.

This only happened a couple of hours ago but it looks like it might actually cause a serious reaction for once. Or people will roll over and do nothing. Watch this space...

likesfish likes this.
  2. Rimbaud

Hmm. Apparently it seems all references to the news are being removed and search terms related to it are being banned. They have reacted quick to the negative reaction, but it seems everyone knows about it already.

3. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Yep. this has been a big question during this term. not surprised really.

i would be wary about being critical of this on wechat obvs

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Don't panic people.

It's a Good Thing.

Everyone knows countries that have presidents-for-life have never been problematic. Ever.

kebabking likes this.
  5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

What are the potential implications of this move?

6. not-bono-ever

eta, give he now runs the army, where would dissent come from ?

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Not sure I really see that. Can imagine the outrage from people who follow high-end politics as it does lay things bare but in the end it's still just a continuation of one-party rule, and this time by a technocrat who has made a show of anti-corruption which goes down well. I know the changes in leadership over the decades post-Mao have seen major shifts in direction but they've been the result of opaque intra-party factional struggle and popular input has been the same as always, outside and against the system and maybe featuring in their calculations at some later point.
    Must have won the factional struggles even more comprehensively than I imagined to be able to push this through though.

8. not-bono-ever

the usual president for life stuff- if you are a party member, then its quids in, if you are not a pary member and voice any kind of critisism,then not so rosy. the post mao period saw a bit of introspection that led to the 2 term limit as a possible curb on consolidtion of power. lolz

likesfish and twentythreedom like this.
  9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Thanks. Should we be worried?

10. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

It's the future liberals want really, unquestioned jobs for life for the self-appointed best technocrats (in their own estimation).

11. not-bono-ever

its not going to lead to a reduction in human rights abuses or a liberalisation of the press.

he is taking the chinese economy in hand- the anti corruption drive has been well publicsed and get good ratings for him. He is also curbing the perceived excesses of the corporates- only last week, Anbang was taken into goverments control- this outfit was resposible for a huge amount of capital flight to the west- investing in big property projects , some in the UK. THis alos has been recieved well. Consolidation will mean stability for many I suppose. Doesnt bode well for those on the periphery like the Uighurs.

likesfish and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Though it's hard to imagine any leader generated under the current term limits who would.

13. Rimbaud

Not necessarily good for the party members.

Opponents within the Party have been targeted in particular these last few years, (that is, those connected with Bo Xilai as well as Jiang Zemin) and he is making moves to have a smaller, more elite, more loyal Party. Anecdotally, many Party families privately dislike him, although often for selfish reasons. (they can't get away with luxurious lifestyles anymore, for example.) In fact the main reason he is doing this is because he has made so many enemies that he knows it is likely that his successor will seek vengeance upon him and his family, as he did to the Bo's and the Jiang faction, so this is as much about self-preservation as anything else.

A palace coup against Xi is not unlikely - I hope that there is a bigger backlash against this internationally then they expect, which would give impetus to his opponents to remove him. Some of the old timers are probably fuming about this.

krtek a houby and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  14. not-bono-ever

Also, the great firewall of China gets all hardcore at the end of March- all unapproved VPNs are supposedly going to be blocked or shut down

15. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I can't imagine many scenarios ranging from absolutist dictatorship to full democracy where the Uighurs and Tibetans are likely to get a good deal from Beijing, at least not right now.

If the central government collapses over the next decade or so, when there will be tens of millions of surplus and frustrated young men because of the one-child policy, might be a different story.

16. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

This is merely the official recognition of what Xi has already put in place
    As soon as his "thought" was placed on a par with Mao, you knew had his hands on every possible lever of power and that it was merely a matter of time
    Couple that with massive investments in the military
    I see little change inside China proper, but big trouble for HKs democrats
    I expect to see greater coercion and aggression from Xi
    While the economy keeps doing OK most of those Born Under Heaven will remain silent
    A shooting war in the South China Sea, all with smaller nations, the Yanks wont do fuck all with Twitter Twat in charge, will be his next target
    Should make him as popular with the common man as Thatcher was over the Falklands.
    What happens the Xi and Putin slug it out? ( 2-5 years my guess..)

17. Rimbaud

He is probs going to invade Taiwan.

18. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

They don't need to - the Rebel Province will come into the fold on its own, slowly re-engaged then absorbed = equally there would be an outcry if a military action, killing civilians WOULD cause a huge fuss in China.
    Vietnam and the Philippines are the first targets. He has already built the airfields on the artificial islands/beefed up sandbars.....lots of oil is rumoured to be under those waters

19. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

20. Rimbaud

Sadly, when you control the media and even the internet to the extent that Xi Jinping does, killing civilians would not cause a huge fuss. If China attacked Taiwan, few would dare speak out, and anyone who doubted would stay silent, intimidated by mass displays of flag waving.

And Taiwan is not going to go voluntarily, on the contrary they may have a referendum on independence next year. Reunifucation by force is their only option.

I don't think the CCP will attack Vietnam or Phillipines. But I do think that, if the PRC attacks Taiwan, there is a good chance that Vietnam and the Phillipines would seize the moment to get the PLA navy out of the South China Sea. Combined with North Korea, I can see a lot of factors in place for a serious conflict in East Asia and Oceania.

likesfish likes this.
  21. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Taiwan is stupidly hard to put boots on the ground due to geography. Not impossible sure, but it would be immensely costly. Even if the US didn't get directly involved it would be far from easy.

likesfish likes this.
  22. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Yeah but a tryant who is surrounded by yes men and brokes no dissent might convince himself that a "short victorious war" is just the ticket :facepalm:.

Either Taiwan or something equally idiotic in the south china sea could have the ridicoulous sitaution of the US coming to the rescue of the Vietnamese:hmm:

Opera Buffa, hipipol and Rimbaud like this.
  23. not-bono-ever

he is still vunerable though, not everyone is happy about it and his emasculation of the PLA top dogs doesn't sit well with many old timers. if he fucks up, he will fall very quickly

24. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

25. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

kebabking and likesfish like this.
  26. scifisam

Nah, I think Trump really would love to be the first US President for life. His ego can be seen from the moon (he'd probably think that was a compliment). Don't think it'll actually happen but even suggesting it is quite worrying.

likesfish and krtek a houby like this.
  27. krtek a houby

Given that he's, what, 71? The chances of President for life is unlikely. Thank fuck :)

likesfish likes this.
  28. scifisam

Well, they could still do President for life and hope it's a short term :D But I think that would be a step too far for the US. I think it would. But I'm not really certain of anything any more.

likesfish and krtek a houby like this.
  29. krtek a houby

Me too, mate. Me too.

30. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

IIRC i think trump would need two thirds in both houses of congress and also a certain number of the state congresses to ratify it to pass a constitutional amendment to scrap the 2 term limit and he doesn't have the numbers to do it.

scifisam and krtek a houby like this.