Xcom 2: Back in the habit

Discussion in 'gaming and consoles' started by tommers, Jun 7, 2015.

1. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

2. tommers

Julian Gollop has just started crowdfunding his new game Phoenix Point on Fig. Looks good. X-Com "spiritual successor" :D

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Anyone managed an Iron Man playthrough? I got too annoyed and gave up. :oops:

One mistake - I forgot the mutons could parry a sword attack - and the whole team destroyed.:mad:

tommers likes this.
  4. 8den

8den No I'm pretty sure that was 8ball...

Just got a notice from Apple that the latest update of IOS will render my X-Com (old school) game unusual.

It really is the perfect Ipad game, best finish it and move to the update before Tim Cook destroys X-com

5. tommers

I've played it a couple of times but never finished. Had one mission where everybody died except one soldier. When she died about 15 missions later I was too sad to carry on. :D

6. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

War of the chosen, a nicely huge dlc is being launched on 29th of August. Yummy.

Despite the hero enemies, 3 new classes, the hoard mechanics of 'The Lost' New enviroments and story. It's the little things I'm most looking forward to...

...After a mission you can pose your squad for a selfie that will be used for Resistance propaganda posters throughout the arenas. Your soldiers get fatigued if you use them too often. They can also form bonds with team mates that they're on mission with, that provide special buffs.

It's inspired me to download a few steam workshop cosmetic mods. The voice of Bob Ross (With accompanying beard and afro) is especially amusing.

tommers likes this.
  7. InfoBurner

That was a shock when a muton parried. Restart level, sigh.

I did a couple of classic iron man playthroughs on Enemy Within but Xcom 2 is an entirely different beast.
    If one of those mid-game shield bearers gets it's force field to cover a squad of enemies, then fan and shit meet and my squad gets chewed, I tend to self regulate; If I lose most of 'em heroically then I'll take the hit and soldier on and visit the bar's memorial wall later to add epitaphs.

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  8. tommers

Just finished an Ironman playthrough on veteran.

It was good, the last mission was genuinely a bit touch and go. My best ranger died and a couple of others were on 1 health, surrounded by about 15 enemies. Relied on my psionic inspiring another guy who could then take a shot with 68% chance to kill the last boss and finish the game. If he'd missed then we would have lost at least another 3 team members and probably the whole playthrough.

This is such a great game, can't wait for the expansion.:thumbs:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  9. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Got this on PS4 the other day , back to it I reckon , loved it when I played it on pc

tommers likes this.
  10. tommers

11. tommers

So I've been playing it all day. It's good. It changes stuff up, you get different missions and different factions and more enemies and stuff. It seems a bit more difficult to me, although that might be just that I dont know some of the missions so well. I want to kill the chosen just so they stop popping up in my missions and fucking everything up.

The photo thing is stupid.

But the Lost are brilliant. Proper swarming bastards.

InfoBurner likes this.
  12. tommers

There are lots of ideas in here from other games.

The Chosen are kind of Shadow of Mordor warbosses. They pick up weaknesses and strengths if you don't kill them straight away (which you can't).

Your soldiers can pick up mental illnesses as per Darkest Dungeon.

And you get advantages for certain research objectives a la Civilisation VI (that's the only bit that doesn't really work for me).

13. tommers

I think this might be the best strategy game I've played since the first X-Com. It makes you constantly feel like you're going to lose,and occasionally you do,but most of the time you win. The balance is really, really well done.

ruffneck23 and InfoBurner like this.
  14. InfoBurner

Just caught 'War of the Chosen' on the Steam winter sale. I've waited ages. Sheer awesomeness.

Your right Tommers, the balance is incredible. Playing on veteran (no ironman, yet) and my mid-level troops are dropping like flies, with that tiredness mechanic and all those covert/bonding timeouts, I'm having serious trouble fielding a squad I'm confident in.

The pure joy when a squad of Fucking New Guys pulls off an excellent or flawless mission, though!

tommers likes this.
  15. tommers

I'm so jealous. Absolutely fucking loved it, one of the games of 2017 for me. That feeling when you're in the middle of a bunch of lost and then one of the chosen turns up. Fuck. :D

16. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

How do I tell which missions are from the DLC? Just spent two hours and got all my squad wiped out bar two, got a new robot, but I don't want to go through that again....

17. tommers

It basically changes the whole game. All of the new classes, new mission types, the lost, new maps - it doesn't really just add new missions.

If you don't play iron man you can save every turn and then replay it if people are getting killed (or however frequently you want).

18. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

I downloaded this from torrentday, and I have two different games, started the war of the chosen one yesterday and it's much better than the vanilla one, but in the vanilla there is the Shen's last gift mission, I didn't realize it was an extra DLC.... Without playing this before how could I have know how fucking hard is was going to be?

19. tommers

Ah right. I get you. Yeah those two DLC missions from the original game are quite hard. You can allow or remove them from WoTC. I would still have them as they give you Sparks and the cool alien ruler stuff (Shadowkeeper, ruler armour etc etc.).

Alien rulers are bastards though. They have a move after every single move your squad takes. Stun them if you can or incapacitate them in some way.

20. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

I find I'm doing well and then another mission will pop up and I get slaughtered, quite a steep learning curve. I've watched youtube videos of people on legendary and they just manage to kill everything, I'm on normal and in the same situations get destroyed. :mad:

21. tommers

There's a free DLC (for people who own WoTC) just been released. It's cool. A series of new mini-campaigns. I'm just currently playing through the ones that show what happened to Central after the fall of XCom from the first game.

There's also one that looks suspiciously like the mission from the first game with the fishing village and the Chrysallids :cool:

I think it starts being chargeable after a while (£7.99). You need to have WoTC to play it but you should have that if you have the base game anyway, right?

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I finally got WotC a few weeks ago and (controversially) I'm not quite convinced yet. :)eek:)

It just seems a bit 'busy' - there are too many things going on now and areas to manage etc. The original version was better balanced IMO. Maybe I just need to give it a bit more time though.

tommers likes this.
  23. tommers

Yeah, there is a lot going on in it. And I'm sure the second base game had more than the first as well.

I haven't played it for a year or so, I think I'll give it another go once I finish these little missions. (They aren't busy at all, they're very simplified)