WW1 era plane makes emergency landing on Sidmouth beach - video

Discussion in 'transport' started by planetgeli, May 7, 2018.

1. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It’s always when you’ve left your telephoto lens at home.

Spymaster and cupid_stunt like this.
  3. Lancman

Lancman Well-Known Member

Brilliant bit of flying and it says a lot for the undercarriage.

4. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Well done to the pilot, good decision making.

cupid_stunt, planetgeli and kebabking like this.
  5. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

On being questioned the pilot was hear to reply 'well I say old boy, I was just giving a bit of a demonstration to some yanks orf the coast of Bermuda, and now I'm back here in Blighty, haven't the foggiest what's going on if I'm honest. Is there any gin?'.

6. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

It does make you wonder if something as old as that should be in the air.....vintage cars never leave the ground but get a problem up there...

cupid_stunt likes this.
  7. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Blimey, he did well.

Love this comment '[she] was left with “jelly legs” after the crash landing', I would have been in need of a change of underwear! :D

A380 and Slo-mo like this.
  8. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Great flying and even better luck.

gentlegreen and Slo-mo like this.
  9. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

There's a fantastic tea shop just up the beach from there.

It does massive bits of cake and has views over the beach so he could keep on eye on his plane while he's there

10. A380

They belong in the air not stuck in a museum gathering dust.

11. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

12. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I get what you are saying but don't know where you draw the line to be honest. In this incident no one was killed or hurt it seems but potentially there could have been fatalities on the ground.

No matter how well built something was by the standards of the day, one hundred years is a long time.

13. Lancman

Lancman Well-Known Member

Certificates of Airworthiness are issued on current standards and must be renewed.

existentialist likes this.
  14. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Ok, so it's not like a car MOT where, for example, older vehicles aren't required to have seatbelts?

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

not a crash landing ! that was an emergency landing with no power.

the pilot did very well to touch down safely on pebbles and it says a lot for the plane

A380, cupid_stunt and Slo-mo like this.
  16. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

17. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

They probably would have died. But shingle beaches are difficult to walk on, so someone with mobility issues probably wouldn't be there.

Single-engined planes of all ages occasionally lose power. If we knew the type of engine we could probably look up stats for its reliability. The risk of it killing someone on the ground is probably far, far lower than the chance of being killed by a car or by cancer.

Edit: here's a discussion on a pilots' forum Morane MS.315 lands on beach at Sidmouth... - PPRuNe Forums. The consensus seems to be that the pilot chose the shingle, which was a risk to him and his passenger and the aircraft, as opposed to the sand, because there were people walking on the sand.

The aircraft dates from 1932 and the engine was still being produced in 1951.

Another edit: this particular aircraft has a modern engine Rotec R3600 - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    fishfinger and Slo-mo like this.
  18. A380

Looking at the video the people running for their lives were either invisible or living with the disability of living only in the imagination of a Metro sub editor.

fishfinger and existentialist like this.
  19. A380

A video from much closer ( almost on the touch down point).

For the benefit of Metro sub editors, note the absence of people running for their lives...

Lancman, fishfinger and cupid_stunt like this.
  20. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Packed beach :facepalm: