1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a novel about girl from Bow Cross West Estate...

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Apryl, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

And I would really love to know whether it has improved since being Devons/Crossways. I know Wiley and Dizzee are from E3 so I'm curious. Has the rent gone up for council; I recall it's not even a couple hundred pound per week. Has the demographic changed, has the crime rate changed. Anything else I missed that you can tell me about. If I write about a character who is "hard" would Bow Cross West now be off for that kind of character.

Also questions about Pembury Estate, the character from Bow knows a graffiti artist from Pembury. I hear it's rough but I'd like to hear from locals, not journalists. It has to be a rough place where my characters are from.

Thanks!

Plus, any questions for slang terms in the area help. I've already learned Cockney lol

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model The word of Sin is Restriction

you know writers always advise writing about what you know?

3. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Maybe I dunno go to these places and spend time there and figure it out for yourself

4. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Do make sure you proofread carefully before you send your masterpiece off to any publishers.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

You really should spend time there if you're going to write about the place.

Greebo likes this.
  6. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

I'm not a WRITER. I'm an aspiring AUTHOR. And there is nothing wrong with learning new things.

Seems you don't have much knowledge about this either.

7. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

I plan on it but that doesn't help me much. JK Rowling never spent time at Hogwarts but writes about it just fine. People write about things and places they've never visited all the time, it's called fiction. Just trying to be respectful of the truth but I guess I should go on writing what's inaccurate so I can offend everyone in Hackney.

8. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Hogwarts is of course a totally real place where real people live.

9. Hogwarts isn't a real place, Hackney is.

10. Maurice Picarda

She went to a very similar school. Also, she drew on a rich tradition of English scholastic stories. Oh, and she can't actually write.

11. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

Interesting group here. I'm a college student from NYC I can't just stay in Hackney. All I need was, is Bow Cross West better?

Yes or no.

Is rent still under 100 pound.

Yes or no.

Is Pembury as dangerous as it's made to be?

Yes or no.

12. Pickman's model

given the array of boarding school stories and indeed magical boarding school stories it's no great surprise that rowling put together a fairly decent school. it's not like there was an utter void there before! but estates are different, and as it's well known there is at least one gang associated with the pembury i would be rather careful, if i were you, before putting hand to keyboard. why don't you at least wander round it, it's not like you'll get shot for it. or youd be rather unlucky if you did.

perhaps you should have a look again at your research strategy.

13. Why not set your opus in NYC?

14. Belushi

You're not going to get any help talking to people like that.

15. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

Cynics, cynics. No but she's richer than the queen so whether she can write is irrelevant. Just using a popular name. Wasting your time here, folks, if you can't contribute. I'll be staying though. Did I offend anyone by asking. If you don't know then go.

16. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

Because I'm an author. If people just wrote about where they were from then we would have lacking literature. I can write about any place I want, hell or space if I want.

17. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Pickman's model likes this.
  18. Pickman's model

a minute ago you were a student.

cesare and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  19. Belushi

Five posts in and I can tell you haven't got what it takes to be a writer.

20. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

I already know you can't help me because you would have. The post is for future readers who have actual knowledge. I am new to this board and figured the posters were knowledgeable locals. Seems not.

21. Well just make it up then :confused:

22. Maurice Picarda

You could employ a ghost from Hackney, and solve both your problems. 5t3IIa has a mean turn of phrase and will do pretty much anything for cash.

friedaweed, sojourner, prunus and 9 others like this.
  23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

She is now. When she was a single Mum writing she wasn't.

Tbh I don't reckon you'll be staying that long.

kittyP and Greebo like this.
  24. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

You're so bored. An author can be anyone. You want me to be a 60 yr old recluse. I would assume we would find authors in college aspiring for higher learning.

25. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

Staying where that long?

26. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

I'll be ignoring you from now on. I'm not here to reh tehteh and chit chat. Here for answers to simple questions. If you're bored and want to chit chat go to Facebook.

kittyP, Jon-of-arc and Sweet FA like this.
  27. Maurice Picarda

Boppity, kittyP, Rocket no.9 and 2 others like this.
  28. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Wow - you can't even remember your own words which I quoted from less than 2 minutes ago. Good luck with the book :D

29. Apryl

Apryl Well-Known Member

You and Pickman can have fun together. Useless posts.

30. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

I am not sure.

I'm not convinced Hackney isn't the figment of someone's imagination.

[​IMG]

:p

Greebo and stuff_it like this.