Writers of Urban

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by YouSir, Feb 28, 2018.

1. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

I know there's a few of you around so figured I'd drop this here... I'm starting a new zine sort of site for new writing, short prose (1k words or less) and poetry mostly with no particular style or genre limitations. Although not particularly looking for stuff with a major commercial focus (genre fiction is fine, just not hackery). Doesn't pay, unfortunately, because I have no money but anyone fancy submitting something? Will do what I can to promote new work and hopefully spread the good word.

You can check out the foundations at CultureCargoCult.com

2. VeganMight

VeganMight Banned Banned

So there was this guy called Sebastian - He was crippled by his public school background. And then there was this other guy called Haystacks... "Haystacks, Haystacks
    He'll drag you in the bushes, do you in the ass
    Bourneville people are leavin, Bournville people are leavin
    Coz the children coz the children believe in..
    Haystacks, Haystacks, when the schoolbell rings, ya better run home fast..

Sing it to the tune of Boney M belfast if ya want. Maybe the semi mythical sex case known as the Beast of Bournville, maybe can be unmasked at Haystack's house? I don't know?

3. YouSir

Well, you did your best.

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Just fiction or is essay-type stuff OK?

YouSir likes this.
  5. YouSir

Open to anything really, main focus is fiction, so don't want to overload it with non-fiction, but happy to have some.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Tino Pai

Good luck with this, I started a journal with some friends which was a big mistake as none of them did anything except promotion which meant we got loads of good quality submissions but not enough people to read/proof/select them so it all went under. This is a much more sensible approach.

YouSir likes this.
  7. YouSir

Aye, trying to take it slow to start with, limit it to what I can do myself although I reckon there are a few people I can harass to help out with submissions if there's a sudden flood of them. Promotion is my weakness though, so not expecting things to go mad any time soon. Tips welcome on that front though.

Dom Traynor likes this.
  8. YouSir

(One off) bump for your lazy Sunday afternoon.

9. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Tino Pai

Duotrope is a really good place to start - although they’re quite strict, it’s worth reading their guidelines - we got loads of quality submissions that way.

YouSir likes this.
  10. YouSir

Cheers, sent off a listing request - should (hopefully) be good with all their requirements.

Dom Traynor likes this.
  11. YouSir

Done Culture Cargo Cult - Appreciate the tip

Dom Traynor likes this.
  12. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Tino Pai

Sit back and wait. The other thing we did was email out to creative writing lecturers at local universities as well.

13. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Tino Pai

How is this going?

14. YouSir

Sorry, missed that post - fairly well I think. Few posts up now, getting a few people looking, some good submissions (and some bad ones). One of the most recent poems is even from a (former?) Urbanite.

Need to do another round of promotion really, just to keep up my end of the deal. Also a bit eye opening about who's doing what out there, think I've made some good choices in what's gone up but you can definitely tell what social groups are really up on when and where to submit.

e2a: And that link again is www.culturecargocult.com ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    May Kasahara likes this.
  15. YouSir

btw: Thanks for the Duotrope tip, definitely fed in some good work. Helped along the path to reaching the point I'm aiming for, where I don't need to punt for contributions any more and good stuff just appears.