Wrexham and Shropshire: the best railway company in the UK?

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Nov 10, 2008.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We've just been up to Chirk (nr Wrexham) and back using the new Wrexham and Shropshire railway company and the service was fantastic.

The fare was £28 each return, we had a lovely train on the way up with - get this - friendly table service of freshly prepared and cooked food. Loads of locally sourced food was available including absolutely delicious Welsh cakes from Llangollen.

On the way back things got even better with the first class carriage being opened up to standard class travellers, and really tasty meals being served to our table on china plates. The service was friendly and the food high quality, all at a cut down price.

Bravo Wrexham and Shropshire!

2. _pH_

_pH_ .

sounds good :cool:

I wonder how long companies like that might last though, either before going bust or being bought up by one of the bigger players (e.g., Hull Trains being bought by First iirc) Limited number of routes, services etc. doesn't seem to be a brilliant business plan, but I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, it's nice to see that service like this still exists

3. _pH_

_pH_ .

:cool:

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you travel first class you get a free cooked meal!

5. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

The big drag factor is 4 hours between trains in the daytime if they're cancelled. :(

OK, I'll stop moaning about it! I just wanted to have a meal in the restaurant cart.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Claim yer compensation!

7. han

han brixton hill hobbit

let's do it (get a refund.)

But yes - I'd agree, Ed - that it's the best rail company I've been on in the UK. Good service, cheap fares, freshly-prepared food, friendly staff.

If it wasn't for the fact that the return leg of our journey was cancelled, I'd be frothing at the mouth with enthusiasm for them:D

8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I traveled with them in the summer, as part of a slightly devious route back from Holyhead.

It was a very friendly atmosphere on board; it felt a bit like a kind of family enterprise - they all seemed to know each other and genuinely wanted to do stuff well. It was quite soon after they'd started running the service so there were still a few things that they still hadn't gotten sorted out fully, but otherwise it was all good.

And of course it's nice to travel on a proper train. And the coaches painted in BR blue & grey for extra nostalgia effect (although I know that's only a temporary arrangement).

It's a bit hard to see exactly how they make much money out of that service, if they do, but good luck to them.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apparently, they've only got 50 staff!

As you say, the staff were really friendly and it felt that they were actually interested in making your journey enjoyable.

10. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Actually, I'm not going to get a refund - they need our money by the looks of it (ie. not that many people use that line). I think they're great.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Check out the fabulous meals. On a train! With the carrots tied up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. _pH_

_pH_ .

wow, knocks seven shades of shit out of the crap food on most trains. is it prepared on board, or chill'n'reheat like in InterCity days?

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Freshly prepared. The rice was sublime!

14. _pH_

_pH_ .

what do they charge if you're not in 1st class?

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nipsla and memespring had a two course meal for (I think) £12 each. Ours was a tenner each. Not cheap, but well, well worth it (the fare was fuck all and we were travelling in a first class carriage with in-seat service and eating off china plates!

16. _pH_

_pH_ .

not especially cheap, no, but good value for what you'd get by the look of it :cool:

probably cheaper than many restaurants too

e2a: 8000th post w00t!

17. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I am possibly visiting both Swansea and Shrewsbury in the not too distant future. How can I work this meal into one of my trips?

18. embree

embree Well-Known Member

I doubt very much that the Wrexham & Shropshire run services to Swansea :p

19. teuchter

They stop at Shrewsbury. About 3.5 hrs from there to Marylebone.

Shrewsbury has a very impressive signal box, I'm sure you will be interested to learn.

Here are their timetables:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/timetables.php

20. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Shrewsbury is in Shropshire. I don't know where Wrexham is. It could be in Wales for all I know.

Thank you, teuchter.

21. embree

embree Well-Known Member

:eek:

seriously?

22. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I'm not English or Welsh and i've never been to Wrexham, or through Wrexham, to my knowledge.

23. embree

embree Well-Known Member

blimey.

It's quite a large town

24. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

So's Retford.

Tell me where that is without looking.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sadly, Shrewsbury monster signal box is scheduled to disappear soon. I took a blurry pic of it as we passed through.

quimcunx - Wrexham (Wrecsam yn Cymraeg) is in Wales, you plonker!

26. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

That sounds ideal, actually. I was interested to learn that Shrewsbury has an impressive signal box. Thank you for reminding me. I shall try and work it into my trip.

27. embree

embree Well-Known Member

Nottinghamshire, England.

I'm seriously taken aback that you don't know anything about the biggest town in north Wales, didn't even know which country it's in

28. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I thought it was. Which is why I mentioned a trip to Swansea as being a possible opportunity to pass through it. Embree's authoritively dismissive post suggested that I was foolish to think so, though.

I'm trying to flummox him/her. I've seen his/her Wrexham and raised him/her with a Retford.

;)

29. teuchter

That's a shame. Why? I would have thought it would be a listed structure or something.

[​IMG]

30. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Except I did think it was in Wales. It was you that made me doubt.

Oh well. I expect you'll get over your amazement one day. :rolleyes: