Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

Who knows? It's all privately arranged stuff where the views of the public are neither wanted or elicited.

This is worth reposting:
    And...

2. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

"intriguing small shops"

3. editor

Is that phrase really important in the grand scheme of things?

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Who will be the lucky jackpot winner tomorrow?
    Up to £65,000 to advise Brixton businesses to improve themselves.
    Local person, north London entryist, C + F fancier or Beehive boozer?
    Brixton BID Ad.jpg

I hope we will be told. My bet's on an insider.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    Gramsci likes this.
  5. editor

I've been hearing of a growing unrest among some of the businesses who have been invited/compelled/coerced to participate.

CH1 likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not surprised. Yet more consultant capture IMHO.

7. TruXta

TruXta tired

The Fitzrovia BID one year on

http://news.fitzrovia.org.uk/2013/09/03/whats-in-store-the-fitzrovia-partnership-bid-one-year-on/

Excerpt

8. editor

I know that several people involved in the BID read this thread. Wouldn't it be great if they took a little bit of time out to explain more about their proposals and point out the benefits to the wider community?

CH1 and Greebo like this.
  9. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

65 grand! :eek:

Nice work if you can get it.

No wonder some of the businesses are annoyed at having to chuck cash into this….

The sort of person a job like this is likely to attract, makes me worry….

CH1 likes this.
  10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I am glad to see that my initial scepticism has been borne out (though it wasn't a tough one really).

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

If any of the BID team are gullible enough to be goaded into a U75 anti-capitalist bunfight, they deserve to fail.

12. Rushy

Interesting to see that Paul Bassey is still on the BID board after his dire performance managing Veranda.

13. TruXta

TruXta tired

Errrr... so there's no reasonable criticism of the BID that isn't anti-capitalist?

editor likes this.
  14. Rushy

I didn't say that, did I. :rolleyes: But your comment helps illustrate why they are simply better off steering clear of engagement on the boards if they want to maintain a professional and business like manner image. According to Ed they read it, so by expressing your concerns on here you will be presumably be heard, even if you don't get a reply.

15. TruXta

TruXta tired

You very much implied it. Either way the likes of these people are never gonna chance doing real community engagement - even narrowing the definition of "community" to the whole business community - as doing so would so quickly expose the basic shortcomings of this and similar schemes.

editor likes this.
  16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Does the BID board operate by a constitution then?

17. Rushy

I've no idea. Why?

18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Well that would determine if you had to resign if your performance was "dire"
    I see the the total budget over the period 2104 - 2019 is £2,326,961 of which £500,000 is scheduled to be public money.

A bit worrying if an amorphous body with no constitution is handling that sort of money.

Precedent suggests much will vanish unaccountably.

editor likes this.
  19. TruXta

TruXta tired

I presume the BID voting members will decide whether the BID as a whole is worth it through the ballot box every 4 years or whatever it is.

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They should have the right to do it every year - so they can adjust or scrap the 3% business rate levy accordingly, I feel.

21. TruXta

TruXta tired

I agree, but from a cursory reading it doesn't seem to be the case generally. This page has some more info http://www.britishbids.info/AboutBIDs/WhatisaBID.aspx

Gramsci and CH1 like this.
  22. editor

Not sure why you're so confident that the two are mutually exclusive. If the idea is sound and genuinely good for the community, then it should be able to stand up to a bit of scrutiny. Most people I know - including some local businesses - genuinely have trouble understanding the exact benefits and mechanism of the BID in Brixton.

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

That'd be because the benefits can't be quantified beforehand. It's essentially a punt - put x money into this scheme and we promise to make x+y amount of money for all.

24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

tbh it's not imo a punt, it's a certainty that this (bid) isn't going to do anything for the sort of brixton most people here seem to want.

25. TruXta

TruXta tired

Well, if you put it like that. :D

26. editor

I'm out in Brixton now and am hearing more about businesses who feel that they've been steamrollered into the BID.

27. editor

I now know of at least two businesses who are now thinking of withholding their payments, such is their unhappiness in the way that this is being handled. "Jobs for the boys" seems to be the most common criticism.

FridgeMagnet likes this.
  28. :-D

:-D Peas & Cues

I run a business that'll be affected by the charge and I'm not happy. I voted against it but I know many others who don't see the value of this BID didn't. So with a 'Yes' vote from 26% from those eligible to vote they have given themselves a mandate to spend my money ( which Lambeth council collect on their behalf, apparently for a fee )
    There was nothing described to me by their happy clappers that wasn't already being done or offered elsewhere. Nearly 3/4 of businesses affected by this didn't want it,so why are we paying to be in this cosy little club.

FridgeMagnet, DietCokeGirl and editor like this.
  29. Rushy

83% of those who turned out voted yes.
    But is was only a 31% turn out.
    IMO it is also a good example of why minimum turnout requirements should be set to carry action.

Still, it was a bit silly of people not to vote if they felt strongly about it.

30. editor

I imagine that a lot of businesses have got far better things to do than get involved in these things, especially when it seems that the consequences of the voting procedures weren't adequately explained to them.

Exactly how many people voted?

And seeing as they're asking for money off businesses, surely a non-vote should count as a no vote?

:-D likes this.