Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Really a question for Effrasurfer

I would think that a TRA would be just a committee.

Which is why I wondered that they got a ballot paper.

2. Gramsci

Can u post up the brochure?

3. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I think a simple majority of local businesses have to vote yes for a bid to succeed, so there is little scope for an outsider or a large commercial enterprise to bully their way in because they would not get enough local support to succeed.

I think the Council here is trying to create the impression that the bid is inevitable and it would be better if it were local small businesses involved. But, so far as I can see, there is absolutely no need or justification for one in Brixton. Bring more people to Brixton? Brixton has never been busier and probably couldn't cope with more people coming in. Bring more business in? I get the feeling there is already a queue of business wanting to come in.

My objection is that I just don't like unnecessary governmental or sub-governmental organizations or pointless quangos. And I certainly don't like the precedent of paying extra for what we should already be receiving. And I don't like the idea of snouts in the trough.

Greebo likes this.
  4. Sirena

My handy little brochure is at work. I think this site (http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/) is really the same as the brochure, if you can open it. My computer is a bit slow and I couldn't open the link to see everything that was in it.

5. Sirena

Be careful of that because that might put the idea into their heads to extend the scheme to residents too. And that may mean they will be levied too.

It's this idea of the levy being used as a precedent that worries me.

Greebo likes this.
  6. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

I took the Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. :(

Sirena likes this.
  7. Effrasurfer

Effrasurfer SW2 I Love You

Yes, it's a bit mystifying. Unless our Bar and Social Club pays business rates, but I've never heard them mention it.

8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'm dying to know if the vice chair of Brixton BID has sorted his licensing issues out. Emergency licence meeting on Wednesday morning following the shooting incident at the veranda the previousSaturday night. Since when total silence. Nothing in Standard, SLP or on Urban. Maybe it just never happened?

9. Gramsci

Its on page 12 of this Fridays SLP.

CH1 likes this.
  10. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

What was the conclusion? I don't see SLP regularly

11. Gramsci

BIDs are only for business.

Thanks for link to the Brixton BID website.

I see the principal of Lambeth College is involved. The same one who is doing his bit to make Brixton a better place by proposing to sell the college site on Brixton Hill to a developer. :rolleyes:

Apart from that some of the things proposed the Council should be doing. Such as extra street cleaning.

I agree there is danger that Council could unload some of its responsibilities onto a BID. Easy way to make cuts in services and expect a quango to replace them.

See there is no mention of asking what Brixton residents might want or nor want.

Greebo likes this.
  12. Gramsci

A man was shot in the leg. Trident are asking for witnesses. Police say some people have come forward.

There website says they are closed

Due to "unforeseen circumstances".

13. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Must have got a temporary suspension then.
    Funny how Lambeth Committee section Tweet away at normal licensing hearings, but give no info on their "specials".

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Brixton Blog is tweeting that 83% of eligible businesses voted yes on a 31.5% turnout.
    Anyone know if this means it goes ahead or not?

16. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

The process was a joke - I had a couple of attempts at finding out of I was eligible to vote, as a business leaseholder, but found it impossible to get hold of anyone from their side.

Gramsci, Greebo, editor and 1 other person like this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I would like to know who is paying for it - given there is a budget of £435,000 apparently. Obviously Morelys (department store - not fried chickens). Yet another price hike in store at the Ritzy? Mind you if the Academy have to pay a bid wad that's great - a bit of inward investment from people who only come here for the bands and probably go straight home again at 11 pm.

Greebo likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

It gets 'vibrant,' 'hub' and 'iconic' in its first intro paragraph too.

Gramsci and CH1 like this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

What iconic streets did they have in mind?
    [​IMG]

20. Gramsci

The budget is from the levy on top of business rates. According to Brixton Blog is will be

The vote on a turnout of 31.5% of those eligable to vote was for yes.

It will therefore be officially set up.

The levy on top of business rates is levied on a business whether it wants to be part of BID or not. This is not a voluntary organisation. If you set up a business in the BID area you will pay the extra levy whether you like it or not.

I have had a couple of shopkeepers complain about this. Its about an extra £300 on top of business rates for average shop. So its not insignificant amount for hard pressed local business.

Also its thought that the market stallholders will not pay anything towards the BID even though they are represented on the BID board.

Seems to me there is a lot of grumbling going on about the BID. Not everyone sees the point of it. Or what exactly its supposed to do to make a difference to there business.

CH1 likes this.
  21. Gramsci

I have had shopkeeper ask me about when vote was supposed to happen as he had not had voting papers. I wonder if everyone eligible to vote was notified.

CH1 likes this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

And as far as I can understand it, they are unlikely to have any real input on what they will spend all that money on. Have I got that right?

23. Gramsci

Looking at the website it has business plan and board members already. Now that has been a vote for yes it will be set up to start beginning of next year (Jan 1st according to BB). So I reckon the BID board would reckon that a Yes vote is a vote of confidence in the business plan.

I cannot see structure of BID company ( it will be a company) on the website. So do not know if board will be elected every year.

My problem is that this is not voluntary organization. Now its voted in its compulsory.

24. Gramsci

Actually I was incorrect about the levy. It will only cover some of the projected budget.

The BID levy will amount to £335 000 a year. They are assuming they will bring in grants of £100 000 a year. Making total of £435 000 a year. (page 18 of business plan).

CH1 likes this.
  25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My problem is that we seem to get endless consultation - often as not attended by 8 people of whom half are officers. And the end result is construed to be in support of what the expensive consultants said in the first place.
    I would like to see less fripperies in Brixton and more preservation of essential services.

26. Gramsci

As one of the shopkeepers said he already pays business rates. This should cover such things as looking after the streets etc.

According to the business plan part of the levy will pay for road sweeping, Lambeth College to "deliver training" , "Greening and place making".

All things that the Council / Government should be doing already I would have thought.

Also 26% of Levy will go on marketing. As the shopkeepers said they do not need this.

CH1 likes this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

A bit rich showing a map featuring Lambeth College (Brixton Campus) on the BID web site suggesting it is for training - when the authorities are planning to sell the site for property development!

Gramsci likes this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

Talking to a few local businesses tonight about the BID. They are NOT happy.

29. editor

editor hiraethified

And there'll be snouts in the trough for that too, mark my words.

CH1 likes this.
  30. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Are they having the private police in with this too?

CH1 likes this.