Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

"Some 302 of 513 eligible businesses, a turnout of 59%, voted by 228 to 56, with 18 spoilt ballot papers, to renew" from Brixton Blog. So 41% of eligable buissnesses didn't vote. I'm curious why that percentage is so high.

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And as Buzz reported, there's been even less engagement this time around:

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

What costs?

4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Surely we are both right.

228 of 513 businesses voted for
    56 of 513 voted against.

Alex

5. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Piss on the streets ?

6. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I think that a turnout of 59% is relatively high for this kind of thing

7. Gramsci

That's due to lack of public toilets.

editor likes this.
  8. Gramsci

As I keep saying a core service like street cleaning is supposed to happen regardless of BID.

editor likes this.
  9. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I've not been paying much attention of late but I've not been a fan of BID from a resident's pov in the past. It has felt far too focused on expanding the night time economy at residents' expense. However, in so far as far as the vote is concerned, the turn out is high enough and result sufficiently polarised to be pretty convincing. To swing the vote in the other direction, 201 of the 227 who didn't vote - almost 90% - would need to have turned out against the BID. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

alcopop likes this.
  10. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Did it happen prd BID ?

Alex

11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes - turnout for the Brixton one is very high.

A higher % voted yes, than turn out for most BID elections.

Turnout by some bids i found in 10m on the train ( I searched for - uk business improvement district election)

Neath 38% https://www.npt.gov.uk/media/5359/elections_neath_bid_2015.pdf
    Fulham 32% https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/sites/default/files/section_attachments/bid_2018_declaration_of_result.pdf
    Dunblaine 61% Stirling Council - Dunblane Business Improvement District 2015
    Wood Green 33% https://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/declaration_of_result_of_ballot_march_2018.pdf
    Nairn 51% https://www.highland.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/19534/nairn_bid.pdf
    Swansea 38% https://www.swansea.gov.uk/media/15...istrict-ballot-2016/pdf/BID_Ballot_Result.pdf
    St Albans 37% https://www.stalbans.gov.uk/Images/Declaration of result BID_tcm15-56288.pdf

12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Surely this is council policy and in line with planning ?

( all of which residents can comment upon, and have represenatation on ? )

Alex

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Feel the spin! 80% of Brixton businesses did NOT vote for the BID, you twisting feckers.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

I've got a feeling, charitably speaking, that you might have misread that tweet.

Khmer, SpamMisery and alcopop like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Saying "We believe we are doing great work #ForBrixton and so do 80% of the businesses who voted in favour" suggests that they had the support of 80% of local businesses. That's how I believe it would read to the casual reader. There are far more accurate ways of wording their actual support.

No need for your patronising 'charity' either.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. 8ball

Well, if nothing else I'm sure you gave them a good laugh down at the office.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just read the quote to someone and they took it to mean what I suggested, so the laugh's on you. Quite why you're so keen to make it all personal and sarcastic here is anyone's guess, mind.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. 8ball

I think it depends on the level of literacy they are aiming at.

alcopop likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wow, you're really being quite unpleasant today. Feel good about that, do you?

20. 8ball

It's pre-GCSE level reading comprehension - I don't think there's a Machiavellian plot going on here.
    They even provided figures really promptly, giving you an off-ramp that wasn't particularly merited.

alcopop likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just stop this.

22. 8ball

Stop disagreeing with you?
    You could have just pointed out to them how their initial response was a little oblique and speculated on why.

I expect you know a good deal more than me about online marketing, but Brixton BID seem to have this one covered without your help.

alcopop likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Stop being so aggressively rude, needlessly personal and patronising.

24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Local Plan S.6 policy ED7 states:
    So no, the Local Plan which was consulted upon and ratified does not include a clearly stated policy to expand the nighttime economy at residents' expense.

Gramsci and organicpanda like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd like a bit of clarity about the relationship between the Brixton BID and Lambeth Council. At times they seem to be one and the same and that might raise questions about democracy and accountability to the general public.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. 8ball

Are you suggesting it is significantly different to the relationship between any other BID and the local council in the area?

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I could be wrong but I found it odd when Brixton BID were actively encouraging people to vote for Lambeth Labour recently, and Labour were encouraging people to vote for the BID. That's the kind of thing that clouds the issue for me.

Gramsci and brixtonblade like this.
  28. 8ball

That sounds (at very best) massively unprofessional. :hmm:

I'd expect there to be some very clear distance between arrangements like BIDs and party politics. I don't know what the actual stated rules are though tbh.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    brixtonblade likes this.
  29. Gramsci

In Coldharbour Ward recently a Cllr died. Matt Parr. Decent guy. I didn't agree with his politics but I liked him personally.

In Coldharbour Ward its usual that Labour get in. The by election due to tragic death of Matt Parr there was by election.

As Greens had done well at Council elections this time the Labour party campaigned in Coldharbour. Instead of regarding it as safe seat.

To my surprise I was canvassed.

I kept the election literature New Labour put out.

Here is Micheal Smith , chief executive of Brixton Bid ( salary £65 thousand) in the leaflet from Labour party

"I'm confident that Scarlett ( the Labour candidate) will support Brixton business and work with Brixton BID to protect and enhance our town centre. A vote for Scarlett is a vote for Brixton business."

This is what I got posted in my letterbox.

The highly paid Chief executive of Brixton Bid allowed himself to be quoted in Labour party literature for Coldharbour Ward.

Totally out of order imo. His role as Chief executive is to represent BID members. He should not support a candidate of a particular party. He is paid post to represent BID members.

"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Tricky Skills, 8ball and editor like this.
  30. Gramsci

The Labour party were really crapping themselves over the Coldharbour Ward by election. As long-term resident of Coldharbour Ward it was amusing to see them canvassing.