Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

But it’s begs the question, if the BID is so bad for the more numerous small businesses, why didn’t more of them bother to register their dissatisfaction by voting against it when they had the well publicised opportunity?

8ball and alcopop like this.
  2. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

Don’t be silly

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You really can't think of any reason why struggling, over-worked small businesses may not be able to place the BID stuff as a priority? From my experience of talking to small readers, quite a few still don't even understand the concept or the need and they don't have the time to start working it all out.

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I'm not. Its what you say in your post. Go back and read it again.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What do you think of the self promoting banners the BID stuck all over town? Look like a good use of traders' money to you? How about those posters telling people to have a piss after they've been enjoying the much-pushed boozy night economy?

6. Gramsci

So far you've said I'm talking rubbish and being silly but you haven't engaged with issues I've brought up.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You don't see any potential pitfalls to an undemocratic few deciding where some police resources are allocated in your area?

brixtonblade and Gramsci like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But NOT the majority of businesses. In the face of relentless propaganda for the BID - including the paid for glowing PR masquerading as journalism in the Bugle - I'd say its fucking vital that the hard facts are made public, and if it takes a tabloid-style approach to make people aware, that's fine by me.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

10.9% of businesses voted against.

Alex

alcopop likes this.
  10. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

They are deciding where the police resources they pay for are allocated.

This might displace street crime to places where there are less police.

Alex

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So that is in effect a private police force, whose employment is not decided by the pubic, or by public need, but by the needs of the businesses who have most influence on the BID board. And you support this, right?

Gramsci likes this.
  12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I’d be interested to know if the don’t piss in the street posters make a difference, id imagine they were very cheap compared to more toilets.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What do you think? I'd say they made just about zero difference and were as useful as their pointless self-promoting banners.

14. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Hilarious. I’m pretty sure they are members of the met, so are in no way shape or form a private police force.

Brixton BID have created some roles in the met, which are focused on the centre of Brixton. These will have replaced some of the hundreds of police roles in London cut in the last 5-10 years.

How is this undemocratic ?

Alex

15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think I’d I’d like to see some data, re arrests or complaints from residents.

I’d imagine they made some difference, if I saw a poster on the way out of the pub saying “no toilets between here and the tube” I’d probably nip to the bog.

Alex

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Can the public exert any influence over where these police are allocated YES/NO?

There's your answer.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm out late in Brixton very, very often and I've seen absolutely no improvement. In fact, I've hardly even seen any of those posters either. People don't need posters. They need toilets.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

They can call 999 and report a crime in central Brixton.

I don’t see any issue with businesses paying for police and saying we want them to patrol the area we are in. It frees up other police to work elsewhere.

Alex

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's some of the very valid criticisms levied against BIDs:

20. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Not exactly accurate, only 59%of eligable buissnesses returned their ballot. I'dbe interesting to know more about why there was such a low number to votes returned.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  21. Gramsci

That is semi privatisation.

Ive covered this in previous posts.

Police are state/ public body. There to serve the public.

As you said previously

This isn't how policing is supposed to work.

editor likes this.
  22. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

These are all valid criticisms, but until we have a central government which decides to fund councils properly. BIDs seem like a reasonable policy.

You could ensure that smaller businesses none paying business were represented, by letting them be members for free.

Alex

23. Gramsci

I'm still not clear what the pro BID argument here is.

That it does good works for area that are in addition to publicly run services like street cleaning or policing or that its good idea because government "austerity" cuts mean an extra tax on business means cut services can be propped up.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    editor likes this.
  24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

BIDs let districts collectively decide to raise additional funding to pay for improvements which benefit their businesses.

Many of these services are services which have been cut back under austerity.

It also means that some costs of businesses can be transferred back to those businesses which otherwise would be paid for by all rate payers.

Alex

25. Gramsci

So this is extra tax on business to fund services they used to get anyway before they were cut in politically driven "austerity" cuts.

editor likes this.
  26. Gramsci

See your post 662.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But that doesn't happen to smaller businesses have no representation or influence, while bigger businesses do. And the biggest sometimes end up with more people on the board than others...

28. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Which isn’t outlawed in the articles of association, but is a natural function of larger companies having more potential candidates.

Alex

29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone is disputing this - this is 100% correct.

30. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

There were 513 eligible businesses who could have voted, of that total 56 voted against.

That’s 10.9%

Alex