Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seeing as they are - by definition - a closed shop to non-paying outsiders - any attempt at engagement would have to come from them.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

No it isn’t. Bad reporting is bad reporting.

Southlondon and alcopop like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Trouble is that the small businesses that are forced to pay this tax rarely find that their needs come very highly in BIDs priorities.

The BID, for example, offered precisely nothing of value to some of the small traders in the arches, and one was so incensed at being compelled to pay this unwanted tax, he considered paying it in pennies, encased in ice. That's how fucked off he was.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll be sure to pass on your vital criticism. How come you've never challenged the council's or the BID's spin and bullshit here recently?

5. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Well sort of. A think tank member or SPAD suggested to the government of the day (led by Blair) that it might be good to have a similar initiative that has already been working pretty well in Canada and the USA. Blair championed it for sure, but didn't invent the concept.

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

More policing, and a cleaner Brixton benefits pretty much all traders in Brixton.

Alex

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So you think extra policing should be paid for by the BID and employed where they see fit?

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No, it should be paid for centrally.

But if the BID do pay for policing they should be deployed where the BID sees fit.

Alex

Southlondon likes this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Swamp '19, sounds a good idea :facepalm:

Gramsci likes this.
  10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Im not clear what you are saying here.

Are you saying that all BID levy goes to services additional to the Council or that BID is plugging the gap due to cuts in non statutory Council services?

When I say all BID levy I mean money left after paying for the BID bureaucracy.

11. Gramsci

This is one of the dangers of a BID.

The Police are a public/ state institution. They aren't supposed to be for hire like private security guards.

So no I don't think that police should be deployed as BID see fit.

Its a move to semi privatisation of policing.

12. Gramsci

Street cleaning should be done to good standard whether a BID exists or not. If the BID had been voted out do you think streets should be left dirty?

Imo street cleaning is core Council service.

13. Gramsci

How?

I used to live by the market. Now I am short walk from Brixton. I'm a private individual not a business owner.

This is another issue I have with BID concept.

Ive seen BID at local meetings. They aren't there to represent local residents. To be fair its not there remit. At least with Council I can vote them out. I have no say in a BID. Its not how BIDs are set.

The Brixton BID has been looking at street improvements. I'm not happy with this. Changes to public space should be led by the Council. They are the elected public body.

The Council should consult residents and business. It should be done through them.

What I have seen with Brixton BID is blurring of responsibilities. At times BID has come across to me as extension of the Council. This isn't democratic.

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  14. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No, but I’m sure that they would have been.

The Brixton nighttime economy needs to wipe its own arse, local residents shouldn’t pay to cleanup after it.

It sounds like you are arguing in favour of public subsidy of private businesses.

Do you think that football clubs should pay for the policing of their events ?

Alex

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Southlondon likes this.
  15. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

Rubbish. It’s additional policing services paid for by local businesses, which is a welcome addition when police service has suffered in excess of 20% cuts thanks to Tory/LibDem austerity. They will be working on BID priorities in the BID district but are still metropolitan police officers, not a private police force

16. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Shoddy journalism, very shoddy.

17. Gramsci

You have just confirmed my point. They will be working on BID priorities is what you say.

Also you are saying that this levy is being used to fill the gaps due to politically driven austerity cuts. BID levy should not be used to fill funding gaps in another public service. Business sre already paying for these services through business rates and taxes.

18. Southlondon

I would suggest that some of the small businesses you refer to, paying 1.5% of their rateable value to ensure a cleaner safer trading environment might turn out to be good value for money. The lions share of the BID income is raised from the largest businesses, which is how it should be. I’m aware of small businesses that were vocally opposed to the Vauxhall BID, but who now find it a success and value for money. You should look talk to some residents in other BID areas - I think it’s a good initiative based on my personal experience

19. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

BID funding goes towards the SIA security on pub and club doors (at the insistance of Lambeth licencing). I can understand why retail business feel short changed paying their levy when this is the most visible use of BID money.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    editor and Gramsci like this.
  20. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Also, street cleaning/refuse collection is covered by business rates, as I understand.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  21. Gramsci

Street cleaning is a core service of the Council. My point is that BID or no BID in Brixton it should be done to good standard

22. Southlondon

I know it’s tedious to keep repeating this, but Tory/LibDem austerity has cut funding to our Borough by 50% etc etc ...

23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

But, but, but this is the blairite Brixton bids fault.

alcopop and Southlondon like this.
  24. Gramsci

Given the usual kicking that Buzz gets here read this

Gives all the figures for the vote. Plus gives figures for the administration charges and saleries of Brixton BID. Which I didn't know. As well as number of court actions for non payment.

Given that Brixton BID have regular two page spread in Brixton Bugle to promote positive side of BID I think for purposes of local media balance its fair enough for another local media outlet to take less positive view.

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Are the revenue numbers over five years or annual ?

Alex

26. Gramsci

Previously you said this:

I covered this in previous post 580

27. Southlondon

It was a ridiculously biased way to report on the outcome of a vote. The simple message is - the vast majority of the voters backed the BID. I’m sure most people will see it for the one sided propaganda piece it is. I appreciate some people are incredibly conservative in Brixton and instinctively oppose any change from whatever quarter it comes, but the majority of businesses voted to invest money on improving their trading environment, and I’m confident based on my experience in Vauxhall, local residents will benefit from this

28. Gramsci

You read the Buzz article. I didn't write it.

Pickman's model likes this.
  29. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yes

30. Gramsci

Not the point I was making.

So you are now speakiing on behalf of "most people".