Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

page 3 of the articles of association
    upload_2018-9-26_9-16-46.png
    so there is no business too small apparently

2. ricbake

ricbake working out how

If your business premises is below a certain rateable value you don't pay the Levy - not sure if you still get to vote...

3. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

All very interesting stuff thanks all.

Is anyone organising against renewal?

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

In my earlier post I was saying it was misleading as Brixton BID was something that the Labour led Council promoted for Brixton. Not a " collective" of business that asked for it.

Take this for example,

BIDs were part of Nu Labour project.

The money "invested" is the extra money extracted from local business on top of the business rates. To pay for things like policing and street cleaning which should already be covered by the business rates they pay.

Attached Files:

5. Gramsci

Problem is the whilst local business I know grumble about paying levy they aren't that welll organised.

6. Gramsci

They could have used the more neutral word group instead of collective.

Using the word collective has for me connotations of something that is voluntary.

BIDs aren't. A business can't leave a BID and then not pay the levy. In my mind a collective , in everyday modern usage, is something one can join and leave . Not the case with a BID.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Calling themselves a "collective" is clearly misleading.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I love it when people pull out dictionary definitions. Context is everything when teaching vocabulary.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

That doesn't matter. They could have used a different word, but they didn't and I doubt they tried to misrepresent themselves.

I suspect most small businesses couldn't give a toss what it is called - nor are they as interested or well versed in political theory as you are (not a criticism). It's just distraction.

But you are right that some of them are very unhappy about having to pay the levy and not feeling like they get much in return, as I know from personal acquaintances. And that is what is important. I doubt any them went into it thinking it was a cooperative enterprise and felt short changed. In fact some of them won't even have bothered to read the letter that got sent to them and won't have voted in the first place. Hence what then gets put in place is dictated by the minority.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018