Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

page 3 of the articles of association
    upload_2018-9-26_9-16-46.png
    so there is no business too small apparently

2. ricbake

ricbake working out how

If your business premises is below a certain rateable value you don't pay the Levy - not sure if you still get to vote...

3. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

All very interesting stuff thanks all.

Is anyone organising against renewal?

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

In my earlier post I was saying it was misleading as Brixton BID was something that the Labour led Council promoted for Brixton. Not a " collective" of business that asked for it.

Take this for example,

BIDs were part of Nu Labour project.

The money "invested" is the extra money extracted from local business on top of the business rates. To pay for things like policing and street cleaning which should already be covered by the business rates they pay.

Attached Files:

5. Gramsci

Problem is the whilst local business I know grumble about paying levy they aren't that welll organised.

6. Gramsci

They could have used the more neutral word group instead of collective.

Using the word collective has for me connotations of something that is voluntary.

BIDs aren't. A business can't leave a BID and then not pay the levy. In my mind a collective , in everyday modern usage, is something one can join and leave . Not the case with a BID.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Calling themselves a "collective" is clearly misleading.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I love it when people pull out dictionary definitions. Context is everything when teaching vocabulary.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

That doesn't matter. They could have used a different word, but they didn't and I doubt they tried to misrepresent themselves.

I suspect most small businesses couldn't give a toss what it is called - nor are they as interested or well versed in political theory as you are (not a criticism). It's just distraction.

But you are right that some of them are very unhappy about having to pay the levy and not feeling like they get much in return, as I know from personal acquaintances. And that is what is important. I doubt any them went into it thinking it was a cooperative enterprise and felt short changed. In fact some of them won't even have bothered to read the letter that got sent to them and won't have voted in the first place. Hence what then gets put in place is dictated by the minority.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

13. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

I wonder what a spoilt ballot means in this context. Maybe "we don't mind the idea of a BID but we don't want this one"?

14. Pickman's model

It's a bad bid, bud

15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Or just 'no to BIDs'?

16. 8ball

I think if you vote against continuing the BID (or not enough people vote in favour) it gets dissolved (which is what happened where I live).
    So I would have thought the spoils might mean something different.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I see Squire & Partners have no less than two people on the board of 20 - the only company to have such representation.

18. aka

aka Brixton Hill

10% of the vote? Wake me up when they get to over 25%. Well done BID, good luck with it. I’d much rather LBL did all the stuff BID do, but the fact is LBL don’t, so BID it is.

alcopop and alex_ like this.
  19. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

From the articles of association

The board shall consist of not more than:
    5 directors from BID members from large businesses
    7 directors from BID members from medium businesses
    7 directors from BID members from small businesses
    1 director as a landowner
    1 director from London Borough of Lambeth, elected member 1 director from the Brixton Markets Federation
    1 director as a markets representative

http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/version...16/10/Brixton-BID_Articles-of-Association.pdf

There are only ten directors in total, two are from the markets or council that means only 8 of the 19 “business” slots are filled. Without knowing the definitions of large medium small, id guess that McDonald’s and squires are large ( though McDonald’s could be small medium if it is a franchise ). So i suspect there are free slots in every category.

So in order to be on the board all these guys have done is volunteered.

You imply this is some form of stitch up, but really it just looks like people from squires stepping up to help run Brixton Bid.

Alex

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    alcopop likes this.
  20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

It’s good to see Squires getting involved with the local community.

Ol Nick likes this.
  21. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Just imagine the outrage if they’d not....

Similar to the outrage of “too much” i suspect.

Alex

alcopop likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Business community. HTH. They're still excluding the 'ordinary' community from their elitist, exclusive rooftop bar and gardens.
    I can't imagine any 'outrage' being generated either way, so I've no idea what you're going on about here.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Again, that is all in your mind. Please stop making things up. Thank you.

24. Pickman's model

there are none so blind as those that will not see

25. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

T & P likes this.
  26. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

There are at least 10 places left on the Brixton bid board

27. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

They’ve created something, I couldn’t go there before ( because it didn’t exist ), I can’t go there now.

My life is ruined.

alcopop, T & P and 8ball like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Except it's not about you. It's about the community. Creating new elitist, unaffordable spaces causes division and underlines social inequality. If that doesn't bother you, jog on.

Gramsci likes this.
  29. 8ball

I’m a bit confused about what this is tbf. Just found a roof garden at an architect’s practice. Is that what you’re talking about?

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you're late to this discussion - which has taken place for some considerable time on another thread here - forgive me if I can't be arsed to restate it all over again.