Would a "Business Improvement District" (BID) be good for Brixton?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Aug 12, 2012.

1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

We need actual toilets as well as pissoirs. As a woman I wouldn’t feel comfortable using a pissoirs. I think a problem with the community toilet scheme is the need for toilets is most accute late at night by pissed people. Private companies are going to be reluctant to let them into their premises, especially when there is no financial return

8ball and CH1 like this.
  2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Need more regulation - venues simply need to add a unique radio-opaque marker to the drinks they sell. Piss can then be tested and venues fined per litre found on the street. The income can be used to fund public loos.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well yes. I was just using pissoirs for alliterative effect!

Let me extend my sloganeering:

Pissoirs no posters!
    Proper toilets not pop ups!

shakespearegirl likes this.
  4. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Strong sloganeering!!

Wouldn’t the Popes Road toilets be a logical one to open in the evenings? Very close to POP Brixton

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think the licensed premises on Pop Brixton, Market Row and Brixton Village should directly pay for late night toilets. The toilet facilities in the last two is almost non existent.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i suspect that a large number of people having a piss in brixton late at night will have come through the tube or by bus and their full bladders won't have come from pop brixton etc. perhaps the council should fund late night toilets (and indeed daytime ones too), or the bid.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A lot will have also come from Pop Brixton etc as the residents of Electric Avenue will testify.

8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

They will have come from any and all of the local bars and night venues in Brixton. Not that residents would have a way to know at which specific venue the urinators had been, of course.

Mr Retro and alcopop like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But long term residents will certainly have noticed the changes. Before Pop Brixton there was hardly any footfall (or indeed, pissfall), in that area.

Old school pubs and clubs have to provide toilets in their own premises. Brixton Village is stuffed full of places selling drink, but how many free toilets are in there?

10. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Ridiculous. The only solution is DNA testing for 100% of the population, and then roving teams of 'piss tasters' who can then fine and imprison any street pissers.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

i think within hours they'd be known as 'piss takers'

aka likes this.
  12. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Ludicrous. All you need is complete coverage by HD Cctv cameras. Would be simple then to use a network of drones to deliver a non lethal electric shock to the offenders.

13. aka

aka Brixton Hill

and *that* is why I am not in the Marketing Department.

14. Pickman's model

why non-lethal?

8ball likes this.
  15. alcopop

Non lethal for Brixton residents but lethal for out of town, middle class instagrammas?

Mr Retro and Pickman's model like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why don't you go along to discobastard's meeting and tell him all about your idea?

17. alcopop

Because it was a joke :(

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pissing in people's doorways is no joke.

19. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

20. alcopop

I never said it was

21. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

So apologies if this is too obvious, but how do BID board members get appointed? Who actually decides? Is there a vote by the levy payers?

22. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Business Improvement Districts

ABOUT BRIXTON BID - Brixton BID

Understand they are set up by collective of local businesses applying for a grant to help with set up costs. Board members likely to be the more vocal members of the business community, obviously not all businesses will be happy paying for the levy if they don't see any obvious benefits for themselves. I imagine this is not unusual, not all businesses will have time or inclination to get heavily involved. Suspect many may also not respond to ballots or

Notably two S&P employees on the Brixton board, but also good to see some of the longer established businesses on there as well (Satay Bar, Brixton Market Traders Federation, Kashmir Halal Butchers).

23. discobastard

Brixton BID's latest publication, a research survey conducted by pupils from Elmgreen School in Tulse Hill (with support from Ipsos Mori, research company). Not a huge sample size so would suggest it is not really robust at all (and you need a method for selecting people at random, i.e. every 5th person that walks past you as well as randomised physical sampling points). But interesting nonetheless.

http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/version...8/07/Brixton-BID-WeRise-Consumer-Research.pdf

Slides 28, 29 and 30 probably the most interesting in terms of what would improve Brixton. Some reference to gentrification, more toilets and cleaner air.

Best comment in there: 'they need different culture shops like bubble tea'.

24. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Looks like there are two Labour councillors on that - as Kashmir's owner is a Ferndale councilor - although he's newly elected and I assume his BID membership long predates that

25. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Good question and I cannot find definite answer on the BID website.

This on the website is somewhat misleading. New Labour liked the BID concept which came from US. The Brixton BID was idea pushed by the Labour Council.

So its not collective of business who came together it was Council led.

I can't find a constitution for the "collective". Can anyone else? Maybe I've missed something.

I did find a Brixton BID private company.

BRIXTON BID LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

Its not run as collective.

editor likes this.
  26. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Is it a company because they need to employ people and an llc is a better structure ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  27. discobastard

It is only Brixton BID that uses the term collective, it is not used in the gov.uk or Mayor's Office literature, so I suspect they are either willfully misrepresenting themselves (highly doubtful) or they are using the adjective collective rather than the noun collective (more likely).

snowy_again likes this.
  28. ricbake

ricbake working out how

BID BOARD
    The board is entirely made up of Brixton business owners, who volunteer their time to improve the area from a business perspective. Applications welcome

BusLanes likes this.
  29. ricbake

ricbake working out how

There is some confusion about how many businesses they serve.
    There are the Levy paying businesses which I though would be those entitled to vote
    Which looks like 667
    but on twitter they say different
    upload_2018-9-26_9-9-53.png

There maybe 155 too small to pay the Levy or with other criteria to exclude them but they seem to be affected and have no vote....

E2A
    “BID Members” means those members of the Company who are non-domestic ratepayers responsible for paying the BID Levy and who were eligible to have voted in the ballot conducted by London Borough of Lambeth in respect of the BID;

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    CH1 and Gramsci like this.
  30. Pickman's model

draft articles of association http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/version...16/10/Brixton-BID_Articles-of-Association.pdf

Gramsci likes this.